TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Starliner Construction at Cypress Gardens

I don't judge rides on their performance or what type of status it has/had in the past. I ride them damm thing and enjoy the few mins of it might produce.

Take most of the English coasters for example, they all have mediocre designs and layouts, I ride them but don't rate them, we are so far behind your coaster designs in the USA.

The best coaster in the UK is "Megafobia", the best in England is the "Wild Mouse". Nemesis is ok and so is "Air", but not that good. I find Nemesis's brother at Thorpe Park a better ride.

Depending on how well off / rich Cypress Gardens are after their troubles: it could of bought Americana's Screechin' Eagle (if it was for sale but too far rotted to save) or done a "blue-print" copy of the Idora "Wildcat" (which most coaster lovers want to happen someday).

The park decided to buy a middle of the range classic "woodie", anyone who rides the "Starliner" will enjoy their few moments getting on the hills.

Here's to many happy operational years for the "Starliner" at it's new home. If I visit the region while on hols, I'll be riding not complaining.

If your a coaster "purist" you either ride it or you don't.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Construction Update May 27th, 2007!

What is new at the site today. Well, looks like a bunch more painting has gotten done up in the station area of the ride. It appears that a few footers are going to get poured in the brake area most likely for the transfer track. Onto the middle section as it looks like most of the bents have gone up as there arent that many left to set up. In the far end turn around area it looks like a ton of track layers have gone down this week. They were working the track while I was there. There appears to be a few more hills added since last update and looks like alot of bracing for the supports have been added. The ride is really starting to come together. What do we have with the photos today. Photos show the front station area and the new footers, a couple photos of the middle section and a bunch of photos from the far end turn around..

Enjoy!!!

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/starliner.html

tpr.jpg.b49dc48a52817763747fe9f6c1945175.jpg

The station is still round. There doesn't seem to be any footers for what would be a transfer track or work area. I have heard that they are only going to run one train anyway.

Now I do wonder about the new trains. Are they 6 seaters like the original or are they more traditional with 4 seater cars in the trains.

Two trains were bought and have been built. They are 6 seaters

I don't judge rides on their performance or what type of status it has/had in the past. I ride them damm thing and enjoy the few mins of it might produce.

Take most of the English coasters for example, they all have mediocre designs and layouts, I ride them but don't rate them, we are so far behind your coaster designs in the USA.

The best coaster in the UK is "Megafobia", the best in England is the "Wild Mouse". Nemesis is ok and so is "Air", but not that good. I find Nemesis's brother at Thorpe Park a better ride.

Depending on how well off / rich Cypress Gardens are after their troubles: it could of bought Americana's Screechin' Eagle (if it was for sale but too far rotted to save) or done a "blue-print" copy of the Idora "Wildcat" (which most coaster lovers want to happen someday).

The park decided to buy a middle of the range classic "woodie", anyone who rides the "Starliner" will enjoy their few moments getting on the hills.

Here's to many happy operational years for the "Starliner" at it's new home. If I visit the region while on hols, I'll be riding not complaining.

If your a coaster "purist" you either ride it or you don't.

Excuse me but may I question how you find a wild mouse coaster better than Nemesis?

Back on topic, Looks cool. Could be the first big coaster for my cousin who goes down to florida evey now and then...

The Wild Mouse is better than a lot of steel coasters, but not Nemesis in my opinion.

Although, I do think Wild Mouse is far superior to Megaphobia.

But let's get back on topic this is supposed to be about Starliner

Excuse me but may I question how you find a wild mouse coaster better than Nemesis?

Back on topic, Looks cool. Could be the first big coaster for my cousin who goes down to florida evey now and then...

Fun> forces

Construction Update June 3rd, 2007!

What is new today out at Cypress Gardens. I met the project manager today and was let in on some more information about the ride. First notice the first two photos below. That is what will become the station house, I had thought it was for a transfer track but it is the station. I was told that the ride will have 9 sets of magnetic brakes and a set of pneumatic brakes. A lot of painting has been done over the last week as alot of the structure is turning white. They were standing the bents for the lift hill today and they hope to have the lift done in the next day or so. Most of the bents should be standing within the next few days. Steel layers for track should start this week. Lift hill chain trough and motors have arrived and should be installed in the next week or so. A lot of track layers have been added this week as about half of the track is in place. Lots of work around the site is happening and to much to list, but the ride is really coming together. Photos below show the station house and lift area, tons of photos of the far end turn around from various points around the park along with the usual photos of the the entire job site.

Enjoy!!!

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/starliner.html

tpr.jpg.0d6d4710635657e0ca7874db60283287.jpg

The station house.

Construction Update June 9th, 2007!

Had a chance to hit the park today because of a concert at the park I could get some photos from the bleachers. All the bents have been erected for the ride. They have added the lift hill motor house and lots more work has been done on the station area. The far end turn around is mostly done just waiting for steel track layers. The middle section seems to be where most of the work is happening. The ride is starting to take shape as it looks like more track layers have gone down and more support braces added. Below are some photos of the lift hill and first drop, some photos of the station house and the far end turn around work with the usual random photos of the ride from different views..

Enjoy!!!

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/starliner0.html

tpr1.jpg.96f90d311eb982042dab8194bfff0888.jpg

Top of the lift hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Construction Update June 17th, 2007!

Lets see what is new at the Starliner construction site. Up in the station area it looks like more work getting done for the stairs for exit and entrance. The lift is coming along with some signs of track work. Along the middle section more track is getting ready to be installed. They have started to install the top steel layer this week. Looks like from the middle main drop through where the tunnel would be and halfway through the trun around. Looks like most of the final braceing has been installed and looks like some more painting has been done this week. Photos this week show some of the new steel layers, photos of the station area and what looks like what may be an onride photo booth.

Enjoy!!!

Johnny still thinks a first to mid July opening.

tpr3.jpg.0a73646876da48fa57521652014448da.jpg

Construction Update June 23rd, 2007!

Well its getting closer everyday but will they make it. This week is appears most of the wood track layers have been installed or getting finalized. Looks like around 50 percent of the steel layer has been installed. More work happening in the middle section of the ride. Up in the station house and lift hill area a lot of work has been done this week. Exit and entrance stairs and ramp work is getting done today and looks like the last bits of wood track going down the lift hill this week.

Enjoy!!!

tpr3.jpg.398ed9d8096a78b62cd66332d66475da.jpg

Looks almost done.

Then again, SheiKra wasn't a 100% done when it opened. Some stuff here and there needed to be painted. I'm pretty sure the bare bones of Starliner will be done before they do a tiny bit of landscaping.

Thanks for the update. I hope to get to Cypress Gardens on Saturday so I could whore the park.

If they are going to open in 7 days, I guess they arent going to break it in at all by running the trains for a couple days or so.. I mean from the looks of it and what still remains to get dont I dont see it opening next saturday, they havent even finished the wood layers allthough ony a little remains. I heard they have a small delay with the lift motor and chain for the lift so we shall see what happens. My guess would be another week but you never know they may just get it done.

Here is some other stuff.

Here is who is going to be at the Opening. http://www.cypressgardens.com/events/2007/06/starliner_grand_opening.php

Here is a promo video. 70 mph WOW> (more like 45 mph)

http://www.cypressgardens.com/whats_new/special.php

Almost but not quite! We know you are ready and raring to go this Saturday for the grand opening of Starliner, but unfortunately, she is not. Unavoidable and unforeseen delays with the computer components system have forced the park to delay the opening slightly. We know you are looking forward to the opening of Florida's original scream machine just as much as we are, so we'll announce a new opening date for Starliner soon!

Big surprise.

70mph? This is probably from the same marketing genius who billed Gwazi as having "100mph combined speed!"

If they are using this same way of measuring speed and Starliner has 2 trains, than the real speed would be around 35mph.

And I also was not surprised it would not open on time. It took them forever to start construction in the first place.

Speed should be in the range of about 45 MPH.

Construction Update June 30th, 2007!

Its opening day but unfortunately due to some delays in construction the opening has been been pushed back a week or two. This will be my last construction update that I will be doing of the Starliner rebuild as most of the main construction work has been completed. However I will have a set of photos from opening day. What is new it looks like they are finising up the last bits of the lift hill track. Work getting done in preparation for installation of the lift chain and motor. More work going on with concrete walkways and ramps for entrance and exits. One of the trains is sitting on the tracks although covered it is a good sign. The rest of the coaster still needs some paint and lots of ground work for landscaping needs to be done. Saw the first of the new signs for the Starliner coaster. Thats about it for the construction of the Starliner hope eveybody has enjoyed the photo coverage.

Enjoy!!!

tpr2.jpg.c4f4f64ba29bbb3e3b03447384a4a103.jpg

tpr1.jpg.a8ef65a370efeb648dcd5afc73d345ba.jpg