TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Starliner Construction at Cypress Gardens

What is happening with the Starliner.

A little back ground information, after months and months of delays due to some permit issues, work began a couple weeks ago in the last part of March. Since then alot of work has been done on the ride. Current construction is mainly in the front area where the station will be. They have begun to add supports from the start of the lift hill back around the station. The far end turn around work is progressing with footer work and looks like most of the land clearing has been done. The ride is now being advertised as a Summer opening. Opening will be around end of June hopefully.

I will have at least weekly updates of construction here

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/starliner.html

I will updated this tread every week with photos.

Here are a couple from todays update lots more to view at the above link

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand them rebuilding the actual old coaster instead of just building a new one. The cost of materials alone is worthwhile, and the bents are in tact which eliminates ALOT of work in assembling a wooden coaster.

Lookin' good, thanks for the update.

Thanks everybody, as for why keep an old coaster. They have been able to reuse about 35 percent of the lumber as most has rotted in the field. The coaster will have all new track, and I have been told about 65 to 70 percent of the structure will be new. I have heard that new trains were on the way, I was lead to believe they were going to reuse the old trains just rebuilt. So have to try and confirm that. Otherwise the oweners felt it was a worth while project at the time. Bought and moved for under a million, they will spend another couple million on rebuild and other park upgrades including a ton of kiddie ride moves.

More as it happens.

Thanks everybody, as for why keep an old coaster. They have been able to reuse about 35 percent of the lumber as most has rotted in the field.

LOL! I JUST read this! I love it, because they delayed soo long on getting that coaster up, now they have to pay MORE money, more money that they don't have! I love this place!

-Ryan

Thanks everybody, as for why keep an old coaster. They have been able to reuse about 35 percent of the lumber as most has rotted in the field.

LOL! I JUST read this! I love it, because they delayed soo long on getting that coaster up, now they have to pay MORE money, more money that they don't have! I love this place!

-Ryan

If you do some research, you'll find that most relocated wood coasters end up needing at least 50% of the wood replaced anyway. Just look at the Comet going up at Little A-Merrick-A, that thing looks 100% new!

I have heard though, that there might be some modfications to this coaster to make a bit more thrilling. I really, *REALLY* hope those rumors are true because IMO, the Starliner at Miracle Strip was mediocre at best. I don't think there was a single hill on it that was worth writing home about.

It reminded me a lot of Lake Winnie's Cannonball or SFOT's Judge Roy Scream. Fun ride, yes, but easily forgettable.

And that's not what Cypress Gardens needs, IMO, they need a *STAND OUT* attraction, and unless some chagnes are going to be made to Starliner, once the "we saved the coaster" buzz wears off, they'll be left with a fairly mediocre ride.

--Robb

If you do some research, you'll find that most relocated wood coasters end up needing at least 50% of the wood replaced anyway. Just look at the Comet going up at Little A-Merrick-A, that thing looks 100% new!

The point I was making was that it sat in that boggy field for over a year? Normally coasters don't sit there THAT long, do they? Starliner sat there due to low funds from what I remember...

And having a 70% wood rotted coaster doesn't really help to lower the cost of putting it up. Seems to me like they're throwing all their money away.

Like you said, they need a "stand out" coaster. And unless they modify the heck outta Starliner, its not going to bring in much business. I can see WHY they bought it, hell, it was a steal. But this just isn't really going to help park attendance.

-Ryan

I almost forgot about this coaster.

That sums up the entire project, if they were building a GG, GCI or even a custom Euro- Fighter (all cheap by building standards), people would be keeping an eye on this project 24-7, with this, people (even coaster enthusiasts) keep forgetting it exists , hows that going to help the park!

Whats more it (apparently) sucks

This coaster is one of the few remaining "John Allen" designs which is still running today and it is entirely manually operated which is so rare.

I'm not gonna to knock how long it has taken for this coaster to come back to life but it will be thrilling a new breed of customers who visit the park.

If the park did not have the funds to start re-building the coaster for over a year, why should it matter..? Atleast they are doing it now and it will be open soon.

I'm sure the park's attendance will not be fall just cos they have added an "old" coaster.

Old Woodies should be saved esp if they are build by Mr Allen a coaster Legend.

It also looks amazing in it's "white" coat of paint, so many woodies esp new ones look so "bland" and "boring", they have no soul, the old woodies do.

Troy would look outstanding if it was painted in "White" or "Dutch" colours.

Another update, 4-17-07

Supports are up around most of the brake run to the station and to the lift. The far end turn around footers are poured. They are working at least 18 hours a day 7 days a week.

We have confirmed that the small kiddie train which runs where the starliner is will stay. So the kiddie train will go under the starliner and run the lenght of it. It sould be pretty cool.

A freind Greg has lots of new photos from today. Go here http://cypressgardens.homeip.net/ for a local fan site.

And the latest photos are here http://cypressgardens.homeip.net/search.php?SearchTerms=Starliner%20Construction

Greg also has lots of photso of the kiddie ride moves that have occured. Just take a look on the front page of his site.

I hope to have more photos in the next 4 or 5 days.

It also looks amazing in it's "white" coat of paint, so many woodies esp new ones look so "bland" and "boring", they have no soul, the old woodies do.

Troy would look outstanding if it was painted in "White" or "Dutch" colours.

Most woodies today just dont have the looks for a white coat of paint. Troy would look totally hideous, but its something about old classics and how they look that makes them need a white coat of paint.

News Update April 22nd, 2007!

What a difference a week makes on the construction of the Starliner. In the station area of the ride it looks like they have installed all the support frames from the brake run around the station and up part of the lift hill. Around where the station is going it looks as if they have begun the first basik layers of the track it self. Now for the big surprise of today, looks as though some tweaking of the ride is going to happen in the back section turn around area. The last drop before the trun around and the drop leading around and out of the turn around are both going to have more depth to the drops. Deep trenches have been dug for footers, so it looks like those sections are going to go below ground level or a partial tunnel, more soon.

Enjoy!!!

News Update April 29th, 2007!

Lets see what has changed this week with the Starliner construction. In the station area of the ride there has been alot of work with track walkways and the beginnings of track layers. Some railings along the top of the supports have gone up. The main work is in the far end turn around of the Starliner. The last hill before the trun around has been built as the supports are from the tunnel area up the last hill and cresting toward the turn around. Most of the footers for the turn around area have been poured and looks like most supports will go up this will on the far end. Looks like some footers have been installed along the middle section of the ride. Lots of photos this week of the guys working, the new hill and the typical full job photos.

Enjoy!!!

Construction Update May 6th, 2007!

Here we go again, what is new at the site today. In the front station area lots of work happening with track layers as they were working on the brake run area. It looks like around 90 percent of the footers have been poured for the ride. Most of the work is happening in the far end turn around area. Lots of new supports have gone up and lots more ready to go. Another small hill has been added and most of the far end turn supports have gone up. Some beginnings of track work and walkways is happening in the far end. Looks like the ride will have a bit more banking in the far end turn and the dip into the ground should have a nice little pop coming out and over the next hill. Lots of photos of the work site and a couple workers doing there thing. .

Enjoy!!!

Interesting news to report this week. New construction crew on the job.

Construction Update May 13th, 2007!

Whats new today with Starliner construction. Up in the station area it looks like track layers have been put down and seems like main support work in the area seems to be done. A lot of work is happening in the far end turn around as more supports have gone up in the turn and looks like walkways and the start of track layers is happening. I was told that all footers have been poured for the ride and was told that the far end turn has 47 degree banking. Lots of work has happened over the last week as the photos show. One last bit of news to report from the site today. It seems there has been a change in construction companies doing the rebuild. From what I could find out Cypress Gardens felt the ride could have been built quicker even though all the permit delays were not the construction companies fault(without the delays STI would have gotten it done). I will try to find out more next week and will try and find out who the new company is.

Enjoy!!!

tpr.jpg.a92cfe9c6363bb43265d22838c91cb60.jpg

Not a donkey

Construction Update May 20th, 2007!

Wow where to start this week. First, I have found out that the new General Contractor doing the Starliner rebuild is PLH Associates and for more information about the company there website is http://www.plhsafety.com/2.html . Today I had the opportunity to meet the Assistant Project Manager Michael Sumler and one of the Lead Trackers Charles Simmons. We chatted for a few minutes as they told me of the many coasters there crews have worked on. The guys even allowed me a peak inside for a quick photo of some of the guys working. A ton of work has been done this week, the guys told me there crews are basically working 24 hours a day. Okay so now onto the photos what is going on at the park today. We have the first signs of paint getting put on parts of the ride mostly in the station area. In the far end turn around area alot of track layers have been going down as its really starting to look like a coaster. We have another hill going up today which is the hill just before the tunnel area. Anyway tons of photos below from today showing the latest work getting done and some new angles of the middle section.

Enjoy!!!

TPR.jpg.9848547d5fa2e67e02734b10961e4bd0.jpg

So from what I can tell the ride is looking exactly the same as it was at Miracle Strip. Are they making any significant changes to it for it to be a better ride?

If not I worry that people will get off that ride and go "Triple Hurricane was better!"

--Robb "Really didn't think all that much of Miracle Strip's Starliner." Alvey