TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Convince Elissa's Mom to Ride USF's Mummy!

Okay...here's the deal:

We're taking my Family to USF/IOA next week and I really think that my mom would like Mummy...if I can convince her to get on the damn ride!

- She likes 'smaller' roller coasters

- But they have to be smooth

- She loves: Test Track, Dinosaur, Indy at DL, Space Mountain (although she thinks it's a bit dark)

- She doesn't like 'big' drops

- She doesn't like pitch black rides where she can't see where she's going

Based on this, I do really think she'd like Mummy. If we sit in the front she'll be able to see the track and where we're going, there are no large drops, the first 'dark ride' part is great, it's not too fast, and it's glass smooth.

So everyone please post and tell her to ride!!!!

Elissa "whatever, I'll be riding it a crapload of times!" Alvey

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently went to Florida, and one of my friends is terrified of dark rides..when we were in the queue line, he was getting a bit put off with the signs saying "this is a high speed rollercoaster" but by the end of it, he was grinning madly and we were re riding like nobodys business.

SO i say, GO RIDE THE MUMMY, ELISSA'S MUMMY

I usually try to point out the worst elements of the things that they have rode before and then tell them how the ride you are trying to get them on is better in comparison.

Examples:

Space Mountain has a lot of quick sudden jolts that can make your neck ache. Tell her that the Mummy has much smoother transitions and you can better anticipate them.

IJ at Disneyland throws your body every which way, but (insert mummy contradiction here)

Although I still haven't rode the Mummy, I can't figure that it has any dark moments at all like the chase part of Dinosaur.

Good luck!

I wish I had discovered this site BEFORE our trip to WDW/IOA in April... I pulled the chute on ROTM after hearing there was a backwards section... something goes insane in the membrane when I go backwards for extended periods...

But it sounds entirely doable to me now...

Doh!

Going to DL/DLCA/Universal in December, so I'll have to settle for that version...

Okay...here's the deal:

We're taking my Family to USF/IOA next week and I really think that my mom would like Mummy...if I can convince her to get on the damn ride!

ROTM is small! Its peak is 40ft!

Smooth as glass.

- She loves: Test Track, Dinosaur, Indy at DL, Space Mountain (although she thinks it's a bit dark)

The coaster part is a tad darker than Space Mountain.

Max. drop on ROTM is 25ft and you can't even feel it.

Sit in the front and this won't be a problem.

Based on this, I do really think she'd like Mummy. If we sit in the front she'll be able to see the track and where we're going, there are no large drops, the first 'dark ride' part is great, it's not too fast, and it's glass smooth.

The #1 reason to go on Mummy is...

It is AWESOME!

My mom just went on it during Spring Break. She liked it, for the most part, but keep in mind that she hasn't ridden a roller coaster in seven years, so she was kind of in shock after it, but then said she liked it.

Tell her that it's the most amazing coaster she'll ever go on, because of the awesome theming on the ride. The ride has many great features, including: smoothness, story, soundtrack, employees (they're creepy!), and a ton of other things. It's something totally different and totally original, and it's not a huge coaster. In fact, it's probably as tall and dark as Space Mountain (which isn't very tall) but a ton better!

Let me tell you something, my mom, who completely HATES ALL THINGS coaster-related, said that the mummy is the best ride she has EVER been on . how did i get her on it? the 6th time i got back in line she got bored and said "fine ill come". same way i got her on Hulk and ToT. anyway its very smooth, not jerky at all, the backwards part Is VERY shorty, it seem like 15 feet, and the effects are so amazing youll be staring around in awww at the utter awesomeness of this ride. and the launch part, its fast, but it excelerates slow. its like 0-40 in 5 seconds. and everyone should see the flamming cieling, it undescribably cool. I have No doubt in my mind that this is the BEST indoor coaster ON THE PLANET, try to prove me wrong, come on, try.

Sounds just like my Mum, she liked the Matterhorn and Space Mountain, but wouldn't ride Screamin' because it went upside down.

I did get her on Hulk once, but she said she didn't like it, she also said she had her eyes shut all the time... how the hell does that cure a fear??

I also got her on Rock N Roller Coaster at DLP at Christmas, but that was only because it was too cold for her to wait for us to get off it!

Hey E, have your mom read this article I wrote for the stupid DIS Boards:

The Mummy and your Christmas fruitcake may be over 3,000 years old, but the Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride at Universal Studios Florida is brand new. Over a year in the making, the ride officially opened on May 21. I had the chance to experience this thrilling attraction around its official opening.

Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride is basically an attraction that begins as a dark ride (a ride where you move from scene to scene and look at interesting things) and ends as a roller coaster (we all know what these are!). The ride was designed by Premiere Rides, who are known in the amusement park industry for their Linear Induction Motors (LIMs) catapult launch systems on their roller coasters. Premiere Rides has designed such rides as Batman and Robin: The Chiller at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ; Flight of Fear at Paramount’s Kings Island in Kings Island, OH; Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka, MO; and Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, TX. Revenge of the Mummy, like its sister coasters, uses a LIM system and smaller LIMs called SLIMs to move the ride vehicles between each ride scene.

A LIM system allows a roller coaster train to start out fast and to create momentum without using a traditional lift hill. The system uses motors that are laid flat. A large amount of energy is applied to the motors and they create an electromagnetic wave. The coaster train surfs this electromagnetic wave and propels the ride vehicle forwards. No moving parts physically touch the train.

Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, like most other Universal attractions, has a story behind it. As we enter the attraction building, overhead monitors inform us that we are going to be extras in an upcoming Mummy movie. We move between each queue room that have movie and behind-the-scenes photos from the previous Mummy movies. As we watch the queue video, the cast members -- the handsome Brendan Fraser, the beautiful Rachel Weisz, and the rest -- tell us the curse of the Mummy. Brendan Fraser also continuously cannot obtain a cup of coffee (this will be important to remember for a surprise at the end of the ride). As we move deeper into the queue, we enter upon an old Egyptian burial chamber. As we find out, the curse of the Mummy is true. The minons of the Mummy Imhotep force us onto our ride vehicles to encounter Imhotep. While waiting in line to ride, you can hear the familiar click-clack of the Premiere lap bars. Unlike other Premiere rides, there is no seatbelt that locks into the lap bar. Sorry, but you will not be able to see the confusion as guests try to figure out where to lock the seatbelt. The headrests are unusual since they’re four vertical soft rubber pieces instead of one large plastic piece.

The first portion of the ride is a dark ride. We encounter Imhotep, who does not look like the suave Arnold Vosloo, but the rotted out walking Mummy corpse. Keith Richards has seen better days! Imhotep offers us “riches untold” if we join him or death if we refuse. Just like gazing at the Eye of Mara at the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland when we’re told not to, someone in the ride vehicle must have refused Imhotep’s offer because the Mummy is infuriated and then directs us to a room where we are surrounded us with scarabs. The ride vehicle suddenly moves backwards, turns around, and heads forward right into our doom. We are now entering the roller coaster part. This is our punishment. I don’t know about you, but a roller coaster doesn’t sound like much punishment. Perhaps a more suitable punishment would be watching re-runs of “Cop Rock” or listening to William Hung sing.

Before we enter the roller coaster portion, the ride vehicle does an Incredible Hulk Coaster maneuver and slowly goes up in what appears to be a lift hill. Then the LIMs kick in. You hear the familiar “waaaag” sound of LIMs and we’re shot into dark to the roller coaster! The roller coaster part begins with a pop of airtime as we spiral around and move up and down on the coaster tracks. Scenes of the Mummy attacking us fly by at a dizzying rate. We’re treated to about two more airtime moments. The roller coaster portion has a very unique coaster element called the trick track. A typical coaster track either inverts a coaster train or banks them left or right. A trick track moves a coaster train horizontally back and forth, creating a lateral motion. Trick tracks are found on Big Thunder Mountain at the Magic Kingdom; Shivering Timbers at Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon, MI; and the Villain at Geauga Lake in Aurora, OH.

The ride stops momentarily for us to catch our breath, but we’re shot again into the darkness as we spiral down coaster tracks and attacked by the Mummy again. Finally, we hit the end and disembark. Brendan Fraiser finally gets his coffee, but he gets a surprise too! We walk down a long path into the gift shop, where we can purchase an on-ride photo of our terrifying experience and other Mummy memorabilia.

After riding it five times, I’d say Universal has a winner on its hands. Honestly, when I first rode it, I wasn’t too impressed by the ride. I felt it was kind of fun, but too over-hyped. I think my opinion was colored because the audio on the ride wasn’t work during my first ride. I was thinking, “The Mummy is going to do what to me? Huh, what did you say Mummy?“ On my second and consecutive rides, I found the ride to be very exciting. The roller coaster portion is no more thrilling than, say, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but it was quite fun. The only downside to the ride was the storyline was hard to follow. Even if you pay attention to the overhead monitors, it still is a bit confusing about why we’re here and what we’re doing. We hear of a curse, but how did we get into the burial room? Why are we being loaded into these weird ride vehicles? Like Sea World Orlando’s Journey to Atlantis, you don’t need to know the storyline to enjoy the experience.

For the best airtime, try to sit in the back row. As the previous occupant of the Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride’s building was Kongfrontation, look for a Kong tribute in the attraction. Hint: it’s somewhere in the treasure room.

Then have her read this post on the stupid DIS: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=817537

Have her watch these POV videos: http://www.nogodforme.com/ioapovs.htm

If all else fails, if she doesn't ride it, tell her my mom will beat her up! I'm sure I can find a "White" in the white pages. It should be a unique name!

Okay...here's the deal:

My mom is basically the same. I got her to ride with me after I went on once and I reported back to her on how it was. I loved it, but I did a little white lie and told her it's no scarier than Space Mountain. I got her on it. I grabbed her arm to warn her every time a surprising or scary happens. In the end, she was mad at me for lying to her, but she really enjoyed it. Now she has a story on how brave she is!

-Bryan "I swear I'm not evil!" Stoll

hehe, That's the one thing that's been making me reconsider chosing Universal/IOA as my vacation destination. This ride and others at Universal I am a big whimp when it comes to dark rides. I mean it, ever since I was scared S***less by Honey I shrunk the Audience when I was younger, I've been absoulutely terrified of things that jump out at me. When I went to see "It's tough to be a bug" I had to keep myself from closing my eyes all the time, which is something I do when I enter the dark section of any ride I'm unfamiliar with now, and still I was screaming like a girl through most of it

It's so embarrasing too, being a coaster fan and all. If anyone knows how to help someone with this phobia, I'd love to hear the advice.

I'm afraid of loud noises (as I've said precisely 63 times before), and I did fine. The "scariest" part is definitely the airtime off of the drop. It's a bit of a jolt (but maybe that's just me). I know a guy that hates things popping out at him (he was riding wtih his eyes closed!) and when he finally opened them, he said it kicked ass. Another friend who won't even ride Hulk because at the end, there's a drop with airtime, did just fine with the airtime on Mummy. The 3 greatest causes of fear (IMO) - flattened. She's going to be fine.

Jeff "Sheikra comes out tomorrow and I don't think I can ride coasters for a couple weeks! BTW, I'm going for my surgery now. " Arons

Tell your mom that its going to be no-where near as bad as she thinks its going to be. For the most part I bet she'll like it. But tell her right off the bat that its not like Indiana Jones at DL!! Everyone who I talked to says that when they first went on it they thought it was going to be like I.J.

Michael" If she thinks space mountain is dark just wait tell she sees mummy" Thomas

Let me tell you something, my mom, who completely HATES ALL THINGS coaster-related, said that the mummy is the best ride she has EVER been on . how did i get her on it? the 6th time i got back in line she got bored and said "fine ill come". same way i got her on Hulk and ToT. anyway its very smooth, not jerky at all, the backwards part Is VERY shorty, it seem like 15 feet, and the effects are so amazing youll be staring around in awww at the utter awesomeness of this ride. and the launch part, its fast, but it excelerates slow. its like 0-40 in 5 seconds. and everyone should see the flamming cieling, it undescribably cool. I have No doubt in my mind that this is the BEST indoor coaster ON THE PLANET, try to prove me wrong, come on, try.

The launch is 0-40 in 1.5 seconds!

No it isn't. That's the Hulk.

The "scariest" part is definitely the airtime off of the drop. It's a bit of a jolt (but maybe that's just me).

Mummy's airtime is evil. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the ride didn't have such painful restraints. Those things were created by the devil himself. They aren't a good combination with jolting, sharply turning drops that give you that much airtime. And there's nothing to hold onto. Would it kill them to add a bar onto the back of the seat in front of you?

I think Elissa has the idea... ride it first and give a full report to the nervous flyer... For me, as long as I know there won't be any significant backwards segments or huge drops in the dark I'm pretty much good to go...

My mother in law, who is about 63 I think, rode it (USH version) last October. Picture Edith Bunker, and that's her.

She always enjoyed small coasters, but does have some old age issues, so she didn't ride Indy, or BTTF.

She loved it. I think you'd be fine.

Coaster wimp wife loved it too.

Rastus O'Ginga

Okay...here's the deal:

Check on both points, its smaller and its very smooth.

I'd say Mummy is very similar to Dinosaur and Indy in the dark ride department, and Dinosaur is much darker at times.

No big drops here - its launched and none of the drops are very big at all.

Dinosaur is darker at points, overall its not really that dark at all - even the coaster sequence isn't really all that dark.

You just have to ride it Elissa's Mom! You are going to like it.