TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tips for SFGAdv much appreciated

Going to Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) this coming weekend.

Any tips and advice is much appreciated...

1. Is the bus service from NY a good way of going? Is it on time? Does it leave enough time for enjoying the park? (Leaves NY 9.30 in the morning, and then leaving SFGAdv 6.30 or 8.30 in the evening). Would a pre-booked taxi/town car be insanely expensive?

2. Is it a good idea to buy Fast Lane? How quick do they sell out (Like, do you have to be there when they open to get it)?

3. I have the option of going either Saturday 21. or Sunday 22nd. of April. Which day would be the least crowded?

Any other tips or advice...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way it's $100 per person. If you are on limited time, you want to ride everything, and wont be back for some time, GET A GOLD FLASH PASS. It will not slow you down, the normal one doesn't even slow you down. The only way Flashpasses slow you down is if you're an idiot and have no clue what you're doing. Basically you can go reserve a bunch of rides, wait in line for other rides, eat, shop, play games, whatever, then when your time is up virtually waiting for the other rides you just go walk on (or have a 15min or less wait).

Regular Flashpass you wait whatever the queue is (but normally it's still a bit shorter). Gold Flashpass basically makes it so you only have to wait 10minutes or less.

And I agree, go Sunday not Saturday as Sunday's are usually less crowded (unless there's some event...any SFGAd fanboys know!??!)

Gold flash pass is $73 for one person or $110 for 2 people.

On Six Flags website it says that April 20-22 are Boy and Girl Scout days.......I'm not sure how much this will contribute to the crowds since I've never been there with this group before. Maybe someone else has some insight?

There's no way it's $100 per person. If you are on limited time, you want to ride everything, and wont be back for some time, GET A GOLD FLASH PASS. It will not slow you down, the normal one doesn't even slow you down. The only way Flashpasses slow you down is if you're an idiot and have no clue what you're doing. Basically you can go reserve a bunch of rides, wait in line for other rides, eat, shop, play games, whatever, then when your time is up virtually waiting for the other rides you just go walk on (or have a 15min or less wait).

Regular Flashpass you wait whatever the queue is (but normally it's still a bit shorter). Gold Flashpass basically makes it so you only have to wait 10minutes or less.

And I agree, go Sunday not Saturday as Sunday's are usually less crowded (unless there's some event...any SFGAd fanboys know!??!)

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like it will be worth buying the Gold Flash Pass. Yippiiiieee... Can't wait.

Checked the weather forecast. Sunday looks pretty bad. So think I'm gonna go Saturday. Hope the park isn't totally packed. Anyway, still some time for the weather predictions to change... Fingers crossed.

^^It's all your opinion Elissa

It's not an opinion, it's a proven fact that these systems help decrease the amount of time you wait in a queue and increase the quality of your day.

last time I used a Flash Pass it didn't do any better than when I didn't.

I can't imagine that being the case if you were doing it correctly. We've used the Q-Bot system on so many different occasions and it never once would "slow you down," even if the park wasn't really that busy! The system isn't made to "slow you down" so I'm not seeing exactly how this would happen to you unless you weren't using it as it were designed. (ie. queing up rides that didn't need to be queued because there was no line and therefore wasting that slot on a ride where it was needed.)

You DO have to be somewhat smart about which rides you queue up. If you just go around the park and queue up everything, then yeah, you'll probably waste a lot of time. But that's not the systems fault, that's the USERS fault.

--Robb "It's pretty much impossible for a 'fast pass' system to impact your day." Alvey

You DO have to be somewhat smart about which rides you queue up. If you just go around the park and queue up everything, then yeah, you'll probably waste a lot of time. But that's not the systems fault, that's the USERS fault.

Any suggestions on which rides I should target at SFGAdv with the Flash Pass, as I am a SFGAdv virgin...

Any suggestions on which rides I should target at SFGAdv with the Flash Pass, as I am a SFGAdv virgin...

KK and El Toro will have the longest waits by FAR. If KK is running when you get there I'd do that first, since you never know with that ride and it could close down for the day any minute. Try and do ET next so you can atleast get one ride in and hopefully come back to that later (recently the line seems to thin out closer to park closing). Since you'll be on that side of the park might as well hit Rolling Thunder and Medusa (short wait most likely) and Runaway Mine Train if you want. Heading over to the other side, you can stop at the boardwalk and Flashpass Superman, possible get on Scream Machine while you wait for your SUF ride time. Then it's off to Movie Town, I'd flashpass Chiller since it's line moves very slowly. Batman: The Ride doesn't usually have a terrible wait, and Nitro's line moves pretty quick (considering they only have 2 trains this early in the year).

Basically if you are getting the Gold FLashpass you should get on each ride within 10 or 15 minutes except for KK and ET, which may be a bit longer.

If you get the regular flashpass, I'd probably use it mainly on KK and ET, and you can hit the other coaster's while you wait for your ride on those (depending on how long the que time is).

The only time I've had problems with Flash Pass at SFGAd was all because of Kingda Ka. We reserved it, but it had like a 2 hour wait and kept breaking down, therefore constantly pushing back our ride return time. After we rode it though, everything else went fine.

Of the rides at SFGAd, I would say reserve El Toro first, then go ride the other coasters around it (Medusa, Runaway Train, Rolling Thunder), then move on to reserve Chiller, riding Batman, Nitro, Skull Mt, etc while you wait for your time on Chiller. Next, reserve Superman, riding Scream Machine and other rides in that area. Finally, reserve Kingda Ka as that will be the ride with the longest wait.

Of course, if you get the Gold Flash Pass, you'll have really little wait times, and can probably ride everything over and over again. The most popular rides will be El Toro, Kingda Ka, Superman, and Chiller though, followed by Nitro and Batman.

Let us know how it goes since I will be attempting to go there the following Saturday before flying back to Orlando.

The only credit I need (and want) is El Toro, and since I have a Six Flags Season Pass, I am not too concerned about getting my money's worth for the day.

Anyone know how long the El Toro line usually is? I will probably just go and ride that as many times as possible, so I am not sure a FlashPass would be economical for my purpose.

Anyway, have fun next weekend! And thanks to everyone for the advice.

If you want to ride all of the coasters, don't forget about Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train as well. I haven't seen anyone mention that one yet. That should be an easy one to get on. There's also a kiddie coaster(Roadrunner Railway?) but I'm not sure if adults can ride it.

As fas as other rides, you should definitely try Houdini's Great Escape. The Sky Ride, Parachutes, and Big Wheel would be good if you want to see the park from up above.

Let us know how it goes since I will be attempting to go there the following Saturday before flying back to Orlando.

The only credit I need (and want) is El Toro, and since I have a Six Flags Season Pass, I am not too concerned about getting my money's worth for the day.

Anyone know how long the El Toro line usually is? I will probably just go and ride that as many times as possible, so I am not sure a FlashPass would be economical for my purpose.

Oh believe me I will. I can't wait!

Will get back to you about the wait for El Toro.

I went to Six Flags Great Adventure this past Saturday and waited only around 10 minutes for the back row of El Toro (HEAD FOR BACK ROW to the extreme!). Kingda Ka's line was only around 10 minutes also and it was a perfect day outside. Surprisingly, Nitro had the longest wait all day topping 30 minutes at some points of the day. Robin: The Chiller was around 15 minutes since it can run only one train... I'd say if you are only going for one day, get the gold flash pass because if there are any crowds, it will make your day 100% better.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a brilliant day there thanks to the Gold Flash Pass. Get it!

The line for El Toro varied from 1 hour to 1.5 hour. Our longest wait was 15 minutes (with the Gold Flash Pass). Hurraaaaaah!!

Hope you have a great time. El Toro is now my favourite wooden coaster (closely followed by Balder). Sorry my sweet sweet Balder, but El Toro's first drop takes the biscuit.