TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM - 04/12/07

Well, I just got home and didnt have a chance to type up a trip report about my trip on thursday. But I can sum it up in one word. TERRIBLE. Some of you dont know but on thursday we had some humungous winds and really high gusts in Southern California. When I checked the news the day before, they said nothing about the wind and that made me mad.

Thinking that it was going to be a pretty good day, I didnt worry about it. When we got to the park, it was obvious to me that X wasn't running because I watched it for 10 minutes and it did absolutely nothing. When I got to the ticket booths, the lines were gigantic. They must have been about an hour long! Luckily for me, we got there just as another booth opened up so I ran to get in line and only waited a minute before we got the ticket. It was nice. We made our way into the park and went to Tatsu and were told it was around an hour and a half wait. I decided that it would be best to just wait it out because the operations were terrible and they were dispatching the trains at terrible speeds. (Dispatch averages were about 7 minutes per train.) After an hour and fourty-five minute wait for the front row we were off. Same amazing coaster, amazingly awesome ride yet again.

After that we tried Ninja but it was closed, then tried Riddlers but that was myseriously closed also. It was rather wierd.

After that we hit up batman with a 45 minute line. The Wait was all the way out to the entrance. It was the normal Batman, intense, short kinda fun.

When that was over we made a quick DDR stop and then headed out of the park to Wendys. When we got back we went to goliath after finding out that scream was closed (it had never opened that day) and to our luck they were running three trains on Goliath. The Dispatch times were amazing (under one minute in some cases) The line began past the switchbacks and went through the long way on each line and yet, the line was still only 45 minutes for the front! Kudos the the goliath team for doing a good job.

We decided that instead of getting back in line, it would be wise to go get on something else and come back to Goliath. We decided that because gold rusher had no line, we would give it a try. I had been On it before but didnt care about it very much. Its a cool little coaster and not worth waiting very long for but because it was a walk on, I didnt worry about it.

Both of the people I was with had never been on superman so we wanted to go ride that but I said no because of the way that they were operating the coaster. Because of the wind gusts, they were afraid to send the trains out for fear of them stalling. So every time that the wind died down, they would send off a train as fast as they possibly could and then wait untill the wind went down again. The line was huge and went all the way out to the entrance. I opted out and everyone else came too.

We opted for Viper after that. BAD IDEA. To my dismay, they had only one train on and were flooded w/ fastpass people (partially because the Fastpass line for Tatsu was still an Hour long!) who all gummed up things. We waited a Whopping two hours for Viper and were annoyed even though we were in the front row at how rough it was compared to usual. (The front row had just as long of a line as everything else did so It didnt really matter.)

We hit up goliath after that and walked all the way Up into the station. After a nine-train wait for the front, we were off. I have to say that goliath is amazing at night. After getting off, we ran around again and did the same thing. It was about 30 minutes later that we had already gotten two front row rides in and decided to call it a night. It was an ok day but the park operations were terrible.

The thing I would have to say upset me the most was that they had absolutely no ride closures posted on the signs outside. Nothing at all, even the coasters that never opened and were closed with trashcans blocking the entrance! It was very discusting and Inconvinient.

One good thing was that the workers were more cheerful and happy and interacted with guests alot from what I saw. It was kinda cool. Granted, they werent all extremely peppy but they were not completely grumpy either.

Thanks for reading. I Have some pics I can put up and ill try to do so. (Anyone know how to downsize pics? any help would be great!) Thanks for reading!

PS: Comments are apreciated!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear your experience was so bad. I was there on tuesday and every ride was open and lines were pretty short overall. Tatsu operations were incredibly slow when I was there as well, but Goliath did a good job. Deja Vu also had horribly slow turnover times. Riddler's was amazing. Walk on all day long and we rode several times in the front.

I was a little dissapointed none of the ride operators had any energy or talked to me though. I wear coaster shirts on purpose so that some might strike up a conversation, but alas, no one was interested to know how The Patriot was at Worlds of Fun.

Goliath was also pretty much walk on when we went.

Hopefully you can get your pictures up to share soon!

That's a real bummer. Kind of sounds like the weather was really the catalyst for all the ride closures that would have normally soaked up quite a few people.

Can't really blame SFMM for the weather, but it would have been nice if they were running more than 1 train on some coasters.

--Robb

Riddler's Mystery solved: Vallied before first break zone behind Batman Action Theater. They added water dummies to the seats, then dragged it up to the break zone. It was back up by Friday. The weather was indeed terrible. What the guests have a hard time understanding is that the rides are not safe/can't operate with the very, very high winds that we had on thursday. The last thing a park wants to do is shut down rides.

How are they still doing seven minute dispatches on Tatsu after a year? It's a B&M coaster!!! It should be child's play to load!!! And why don't they use both stations????

(if they're using both stations and STILL averaging seven minute load times, then that's even more pathetic)

I was a little dissapointed none of the ride operators had any energy or talked to me though. I wear coaster shirts on purpose so that some might strike up a conversation, but alas, no one was interested to know how The Patriot was at Worlds of Fun.

You honestly expected Magic Mountain employees to recognize a roller coaster shirt from Missouri? Please.

I still love the park no matter what and did understand why everything was closed except for Riddlers. Thats pretty crazy though, has it ever valied before?

And as for paying too much, I have a season pass and go once every month so its not too bad for me!

You honestly expected Magic Mountain employees to recognize a roller coaster shirt from Missouri? Please.

No, but usually I get someone asking about it. For example at Knott's Berry Farm one of the operators asked about it cause he had never heard of it. I told him it was new for 2006 at Worlds of Fun in Missouri. Then he asked if it was better than Silver Bullet, (which he was about to dispatch us on) and I said I don't know, this is my first ride on Silver Bullet. Silver Bullet is much better than Patriot so I made sure I let him know as I was exiting the ride. The Patriot is pretty much forceless and boring in spots.

Riddler's Mystery solved: Vallied before first break zone behind Batman Action Theater. They added water dummies to the seats, then dragged it up to the break zone. It was back up by Friday. The weather was indeed terrible. What the guests have a hard time understanding is that the rides are not safe/can't operate with the very, very high winds that we had on thursday. The last thing a park wants to do is shut down rides.

Beat me to it. Ninja and RRv can (and do) valley in high winds. Heavy rain forces rides to drop to one train too for safety since the drive tires lose traction.

Blame it on who they use to staff it "The Japanese" when will they learn non english speaking employees have no place operating a major ride like tatsu.

Uh...yeah our internationals from Thailand are for the most part better employees than our American workers. While although there might be a language barrier with them, I can tell you that they run the rides just as safely and efficiently as the regular employees.

_six

Actually, Goliath was the Ride being run by the International workers that day and it had the best dispatch times and the shortest line. Tatsu was being opted by all the white people and the main Ride op was this big white guy who had little to no idea what he was doing, or so it seemed.