TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A Letter to Cedar Fair

Dear Cedar Fair,

Firstly, welcome to Canada. We know you are going to love it here. Secondly, we need your help.

As you no doubt know, the little park you acquired from Paramount, Canada’s Wonderland has just set a record. For the second year in a row we have been the SEASONAL park with the highest attendance levels in all of North America. We feel this is quite a feat, not even matched by your giant in Ohio. The good folks at Theme Park Attendance Report back this claim. So needless to say, we will make you some money.

So what do we have to show for it? In 2005, we had the highest attendance level; in 2006 we got a kids parade. In 2006, we again had the highest attendance level; in 2007 we are getting a restaurant. We feel we deserve more.

To many this may sound like whining, but please consider that the last “major” coaster we received was a Vekoma SLC and that was in 1995. Since then we have received Tomb Raider and The Italian Job, which have been nice additions but we feel we are past due for something over 50’.

We have waited patiently for “the big one” that never seems to arrive. We’ve sat and watched Cedar Point top 200’, then 300’, now 400’ while we wait to rise above 116’. We have even seen other Paramount Parks get unique rides like Volcano, but still no love for Wonderland.

The thing that has kept us patient has been the fact that every spring a brand new sparkling ride has been waiting for us, which is more than can be said for many parks and for that we are thankful. However, even the new rides seem to have dried up.

There are rumours floating around that something big is on the way for the 2008 season. Forgive us if we don’t get over excited as we have heard this before. We can only wait and hope that this one is true.

So please Cedar Fair, we have been loyal and provided you with one of the most successful parks in North America., PLEASE give us something to be proud of soon…..maybe something with rows of 4 seats……perhaps something reaching speeds over 80km/h (or 50mph as you like it)……heck…even something with an original layout not from a stockpile of cookie cutters…… even a world class woodie…a taste of what can be found at the Point or Knott’s……. ANYTHING AT ALL.

Seeing Cedar Fair attached to Canada’s Wonderland fills us with hope. We know if any company can elevate us, it is you. We have done our part…..HELP!

Sincerely,

Your Friends to the North.

BTW, this was not actually sent to Cedar Fair...but I am sure most of you knew that already....it's more to comment on the state of things up north. Take a look at Robb & Elissa's photo's from Wonderland, you'll see what I am talking about. Watching doughnuts being made is right up there on the excitement bar. We do have a beautiful park in Toronto, but it's time for some world class rides.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Running an amusement park is a business, not a game of RCT.

Being the highest attended park, while nice does not make us a lock for a 500 foot roller coaster.

Cedar Fair will give Wonderland what it feels it needs, not what it deserves. A $25 million roller coaster being something WE would want, is not what the park needs. To be honest the park doesn't really need much at all and it will still be successful.

I would love to see a decent roller coaster built here. But at the same time I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

Why would they want to spend money on a brand new coaster when they are already very successful? You basically said "Our park has great attendance and everyone loves it and it's making you tons of money already, but could you please spend some more on it?" That's like renovating a brand new mall, why do it? Sure it'd be nice for the enthusiasts to get a new coaster, but the park doesn't need it, you basically said it yourself.

I 100% agree that this park needs nothing more to be successful. Cedar Fair could add nothing for 15 years and still have a profitable park on their hands. For the people living in the Toronto area, we are victims of circumstance in that we have nothing other than Wonderland within a 6 hour radius. We don't have the luxury of three or more parks in state. If I made the decisions at CF I wouldn't put in 20+ million dollar coaster, from a financial point of view it is unnecessary. The whole point of the thread was a ficticious plea from someone in the area of Wonderland who has no choice but to put up with dated coasters.

Well you could argue that a major new attraction could change Wonderland from a local money pit, to a bit more of an American vacation spot.

As it stands now Wonderland gets the vast majority of it's business from GTA residents.

But to be honest I don't think any amount of money is going to make a big enough impact. At least not enough of an impact to justify the cost. Or the fact that they'd only be pulling people away from the Ohio flag ship parks.

If more people visit Wonderland instead of Cedar Point, that doesn't really mean anything to CF.

I 100% agree that this park needs nothing more to be successful. Cedar Fair could add nothing for 15 years and still have a profitable park on their hands. For the people living in the Toronto area, we are victims of circumstance in that we have nothing other than Wonderland within a 6 hour radius. We don't have the luxury of three or more parks in state. If I made the decisions at CF I wouldn't put in 20+ million dollar coaster, from a financial point of view it is unnecessary. The whole point of the thread was a ficticious plea from someone in the area of Wonderland who has no choice but to put up with dated coasters.

What? Nothing other than Wonderland within a six hour radius? That's not entirely true...

Marineland

Darien Lake

Ontario Place

Centreville

They're small, but still...

And if you really want to push it there's Santa's Village all the way out in nowhere land.

What? Nothing other than Wonderland within a six hour radius? That's not entirely true...

Marineland

Darien Lake

Ontario Place

Centreville

They're small, but still...

And if you really want to push it there's Santa's Village all the way out in nowhere land.

None of the attractions listed are major draws.

Marineland is a joke.

Darien Lake neglected.

Ontario Place is fun, but is mostly a school trip resort.

Centerville and Santa's Village are barely even known about.

Honestly, I'm pumped for the restaurants. They might not be much but it is a step in the right direction in terms of improving the park as a whole. In case you haven't noticed, it's not always about rides. The park has to make their money somehow, even if it means adding more food venues and cutting back on rides a bit.

I do agree, some people are getting 'concerned' about the lack of major rides but food and entertainment has lacked for the past few years. It's weird how entertainment has lacked, being a PARAMOUNT park. Don't worry, we'll get our big break eventually.

CW has almost no major competition too so really... yeah. What's the point of this thread again?

I am curious to see now what CF's next step will be. Do they ignore Kings Island, Wonderland, Geagua Lake and Michigan's Adventure while continuing to pump money into Cedar Point? OR, do they evenly try to improve all the surrounding parks. Regardless, they are not going to want any of their parks to suffer because competition from within. On the other hand, every park could and probably will see a drop in new additions because...really...aside from a few parks....what competition do they have?

How about they buy Galaxyland, or Calaway Park and put a decent ride there? Galaxyland is getting a spinner, and it has Mindbender, but Mindbender has been there forever; half of the country has already ridden it multiple times, and the new spinner appears to be generally more family oriented.

Calaway park has a rough, ancient Arrow corkscrew, a clone of Canobie Corkscrew, that does nothing significant. The park is in such desperate need of something new, they got an Enterprise and tried to make it sound like they got an EGF clone or something.

If any part of Canada has a dreadful park and coaster drought, it's western Canada, Galaxyland is the only worthwhile park within a reasonable distance of Albertans.

^ I agree with this.

And they should look at investing in Playland here in Vancouver, too!

Rich, prime property aching for landscaping and good attraction mainenance and ... new attractions, plplplease?

(Just a whimsical suggest...)

Outside of Quebec, all of Canada looks negelcted to me.

But i for one agree with Cdnb Matt. Out of all the Paramount parks, it undoubtably looks the most malnourished. Paramount Carowinds seems to of gotten a new coaster nearly every year, Great America seems has many major attractions built recently, Kings Dominion has gotten amjor attractions nearly every year, like Carowinds and Kings Island is the same.

If any part of Canada has a dreadful park and coaster drought, it's western Canada, Galaxyland is the only worthwhile park within a reasonable distance of Albertans.

That's not going to change anytime soon.

The praries doesn't have the population to support a big ticket park.

Wonderland is honestly run really really well. While they may not have huge ground breaking coasters, they don't need to. The majority of people who visit the park have no idea about the steel giants south of the border. If you ask the majority of guests they think that Top Gun and The Bat are the best coasters in the park. As long as Wonderland continues to improve the park every season they will continue to get more people in.

The park needed some good sit-down restaurants to keep people in the park during meal times, and they're addressing that problem this season. In the future I see them improving the water park before they build another coaster. It is something that will draw in both teens and families.

However I must say I do think that the next coaster to go in will either be some sort of floorless or hyper coaster...but not until about the 2009 or 2010 season.

Maybe you should send the letter and see what happens, but don't send it to the Cedar Fair Corporation. Send it to the Manager of Canada's Wonderland because if anyone is going to have an impact on the decision making at Cedar Fair it's them because they probably live in Canada and want to see a new coaster or major attraction as badly as you do.

Don't be afraid to send parks letters and call them. They're all ears and if they're not, they're idiots.

A GCI or hyper would be nice there....I guess we would have to say goodbye to the trees though :/

I can't quite tell what area of the park that pic is of.

It looks more like the pond behind White Water Canyon, than the pond by Minebuser and Splash Works.

If you're reffering to by WWC, there's not nearly as much room there as you'd think.

Though the area around Minebuster and Splashworks has the perfect amount of space for a really good coaster.