TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flying what is it like?

spaceace12

For my vegas trip, I will be flying out, but don't know what to expect. So far, here is what I know, I wll be flying on united. Leave Indy at 7am and arrive at Chicago at 7:01am. Leave Chicago at 8am and forget the rest, but it is non stop to vegas.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take some hard boiled sweets to suck on during take-off and landing... it hurts if you dont!

also, you might hit airpockets(?) where the plane will suddenly fall for a bit... Ever done a mini freefall tower? Thats the feeling you'll get.

Otherwise, it'll be smooth sailing, maybe a film or a series of TV shows... Just dont worry about it, do what the air attendants tell you to and you'll be fine!

^ A few feet? The last time I flew our plane fell like 100ft and it scared me to death. I seriously thought I was going to die. I have never been so scared in my life. But other than that, flying is awsome! It is so cool to look out the window and be above all the clouds. My advice is take something to listen to EX: an Ipod. When I listen to music it seems to calm me down and take my mind off what is going on around me. Dont worry. You will be fine! Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride!

~Matthew

^ A few feet? The last time I flew our plane fell like 100ft and it scared me to death. I seriously thought I was going to die. I have never been so scared in my life. But other than that, flying is awsome! It is so cool to look out the window and be above all the clouds. My advice is take something to listen to EX: an Ipod. When I listen to music it seems to calm me down and take my mind off what is going on around me. Dont worry. You will be fine! Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride!

~Matthew

on the way to Spain, we hit one and plummeted for like 7 seconds... i felt really bad for the people standing up or in the toilets... lol

Flying is much better then driving, one its much shorter, and two you a like 10,000 feet in the air. Its the only way for me.

If you're flying at 10,000 feet, you're probably somewher you shouldn't be in a commercial jet. Typical cruising altitudes are between 31,000 - 36,000 feet.

As for the "air pockets," that's turbulence. It's when cold air masses and mixing with warm air masses and the air gets rough. Typically, they try to fly around those, but it's not always possible.

Think of flying like Joe said. It's a big bus in the air, with loud engines, cramped seating, a small window to look out, and no food.

I, personally, love flying. Takeoff and landing for me are the best. The way you get smushed into the back of your seat, its kind of cool. I definitely reccomend hard candy, or gum for when your ears pop. If you're afraid, you just have to make the best of it, and think of donkeys .

-Nate"You'll be fine" Hill

Flying is ok. You get to sit in a cramped seat for a set amount of time and then once you land you get to wait, for what feels like forever, to get out. I prefer to drive, but flying is definitely quicker. Oh and I would definitely recommend bringing some form of entertainment for the flight (i.e. Ipod, PSP, DS lite). Airlines do show movies on flights, but there headphone ports aren't regular standard 1/8" jacks. They split the the jack into two mono ports so that your stuck buying a pair of there headphones.

Takeoff: A bit of acceleration force, lots of speed, then suddenly smoothness as the plane leaves the ground... You're tilted upwards for a few minutes, and then you level out:

After that: You sit in your seat, with a loud noise I can't describe, while you don't feel like you're moving much. You stay that way for a while, unless you hit turbulence, during which the plane shakes a bit.

Landing: Tilted slightly downwards, bits of weightlessness every so often, followed by a small (or hard, depending on the size of the plane) bump as you touch down... Braking pushes you forward a bit, and then you roll into the parking zone and get off.

Recommendations: Take something to keep you occupied, like a music player or book... Also, bring gum or something to chew/suck on so that your ears don't crackle from the change in air pressure.

Flying is ok. You get to sit in a cramped seat for a set amount of time and then once you land you get to wait, for what feels like forever, to get out. I prefer to drive, but flying is definitely quicker. Oh and I would definitely recommend bringing some form of entertainment for the flight (i.e. Ipod, PSP, DS lite). Airlines do show movies on flights, but there headphone ports aren't regular standard 1/8" jacks. They split the the jack into two mono ports so that your stuck buying a pair of there headphones.

United uses 1/8", and they provide free headphones along with most airlines

Recommendations: Take something to keep you occupied, like a music player or book... Also, bring gum or something to chew/suck on so that your ears don't crackle from the change in air pressure.

Yes, and if you have them noise cancelling headphones are GREAT, and also bring a book, or two. Other then that don't worry about it, I prefer flying a lot more then driving, the uncomfortable conditions aren't really that bad and its a lot faster.

Bring something besides a media player for entertainment, though. For the first half an hour after you take off and the last half hour before you land, they make everyone shut off any electronics.

Perhaps a book...?

*cracks up* riiiiiight

Just think "accelerator coaster" during the taxi, "airtime" during descents, and "Vekoma SLC" during turbulance, and you'll be just fine.

If your ears start to pop, chew on some gum or swallow repeatedly (swallowing and yawning cause the eustachian tube to open - that's the structure that allows pressure inside and outside of the ear to equalize and relieve the tension).