TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday Park Discussion Thread

One major issue is that it´s located 2 1/2 hours by car away from my hometown, so I can´t ride it as often as I wish!

- Hope they will find the issue and open the ride as soon as possible; I´m curious what really happened -

Well, as scary as those pictures are, and as dramatic as all the discussion has been, it can still be said that riding a coaster is still FAR safer than crossing a street, driving to work, or many other routine activities we do several time per day. It's just that when the rare occurrence of an accident does happen, it makes the news - why? Because it's rare. It's unusual. It's dramatic. We should take comfort in the fact that this sort of thing remains rare enough to be newsworthy. People die in car crashes every day, but it's common enough not to get reported.

It should also be noted that this thing has been running nearly every day for, what, nine years? When you look at how many folks have been on it versus how many have been on it when there was an accident with their train.... your odds of being involved in a mishap are miniscule.

I sincerely hope that the coaster and the park make it through this OK. EGF was the coaster that (along with SROS-SFNE) made me believe in steelies again. EGF is the first and only steelie ever to occupy my #1 overall spot. (It got knocked off by Voyage a bit later)

^ I really just wanted to delete your post since it's such an obvious Anti-Intamin rant and flame bait.

Hmmm...I really don't get why you're having such an aggressive stance against what I said, and I don't think its very fair to have my opinion deleted . I'm sorry if it came off that way but I actually love Intamins they are my favoirte coasters and I prefer them to any other rides as they tend to all be different in design, including this one, and rides like Dragster and Intimidator are at the top of my list, so I was just making a point. I don't see how what I said makes my knowledge of engineering or the theme park industry any more invalid than anyone else on here talking about the incident.

I think we can all admit we don't know what really went wrong, and that the park and Intamin are very lucky there were no fatalitys. But my point was that you can't deny the fact that things go wrong on Intamin roller coasters that don't go wrong on B&M's, and it doesn't really matter who's to blame. If lack of maintenence could be blamed for a majority of coaster accidents, why don't maintenence ignored coasters from B&M have similar problems? There have to be some B&M's out there that aren't maintained by the owners as best as they could be and yet even those B&M's don't ever have problems.

And it goes both ways. B&M is a company that most would claim are the most reliable and best built in the world. Why is that? Does the credit go to the maintenence crews of those rides that have kept the rides that way? Not neccesarilly, as B&M is credited with being the most reliable. Essentially maintenence should be the only reason why the rides have no problems after 20 years. But no, most of the credit goes to B&M, they get a title of "most reliable coaster company" because they built a ride that was reliable and a well-built machine to begin with.

So in the same basic way, saying Intamin isn't at fault even if maintenence "technically" screwed something up is like saying B&M isn't responsible for their coasters that are reliable. B&M's that are 20 years old and have no problems are associated with both how the ride is maintained, and who originally built the equipment.

It might be a coincidence, it might just be dumb luck, but either way whenever something like this happens its not good for the coaster company, or its business, no matter who is at fault. That's inevitable. Regardless if it was a maintenence issue, entire wheel assemblies shouldn't fly off a coaster. I think coasters that never have problems say a lot about the manufacturers regardless of their maintenence (B&M), more so than coasters that have issues whether they be minor or large regardless if its at the fault of maintenence. That was my point.

^ Your original comment came off as an Anti-Intamin flame bait. I already said it once in my response. I did not delete your opinions. Maybe that's not what you intended, but that's how it was interpreted.

Edited by robbalvey

Whether this is Intamin's fault or the parks, you can't ignore the fact that A LOT of recent incidents have had the name INTAMIN associated with them, while B&M's record remains crystal clear. That can't be good for business.

I agree. In my opinion it does seem that Intamin has a very questionable safety record compared to many other manufacturers. I saw a list of all of Intamins accidents around the time that the accident on Xcelerator occurred. I was going to post the link but I searched for it and couldn't find it again. According to the list I saw they have had an average of about one fairly major accident per year for about the last 10 years.

^^^^ I didn't mean to avoid all of their rides. I still ride Superman just about every time I go to SFMM and am disappointed that I missed being able to ride Xcelerator by about 5 minutes on Monday. It does seem to me that Intamin rides have accidents more often than many other manufacturers though.

^ Very true. I would be interested in finding out how many total accidents B&M and Intamin have each had compared to the total number of rides they each have operating. I'm no expert, but Intamin would have a higher accident/ride ratio wouldn't they?

^ Very true. I would be interested in finding out how many total accidents B&M and Intamin have each had compared to the total number of rides they each have operating. I'm no expert, but Intamin would have a higher accident/ride ratio wouldn't they?

Yes. You're right. Congratulations. Have a fruit basket:

Edited by robbalvey

More rides doesn't have to mean more accidents, though. The two aren't synonymous with each other.

The fact of the matter is, Intamin rides have more incidents than any other manufacturers. That's fact, and as much as anyone loves the companies amazing rides, you absolutely cannot dispute that fact. Whether the blame falls on Intamin, the maintenance crews, or both, the simple fact is Intamin rides have a track record of breaking; and seriously, at that.

And especially when compared to B&M, the difference is alarming.

I LOVE Intamin rides, and I LOVE B&M rides, and my feelings for each manufacturer's catalog does not affect my views on the safety records in comparison to one another.

^^What is your proof for Intamin rides having more accidents? What other manufacturers are you considering? I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to find out where you got this statistic. It seems to me I see a crapload more companies like PAX and Zamperla having accidents on random rides all the time.

Intamin makes awesome rides that get a lot more publicity when they brake or fail, I'm guessing that's what you're talking about?

And with that I am done with this thread...way too many experts on everything.

Great! Thank you austinlee and Steve Nuss! Everyone in the room is now more educated on the number of accidents on Intamin rides!

Thank goodness we're done with that pointless bit of information.

Could you please look up the accident ratio between Boeing and Airbus planes please because I'd really us to focus on other pointless bits of useless information regarding accidents on giant machines.

Thank you!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Elissa, there's no reason to be getting upset about people discussing the safety of a certain manufacturers product in comparison to others'. I'm sure no one knows for sure the true numbers, but I bet some time and digging could figure that out; I sure don't have the time to do that, as I'm sure you, Robb, nor anyone else in this thread does, either. It's just as easy for you to cast your view towards PAX or Zamperla as it is for anyone else to cast their views toward Intamin, so why is it so wrong for people to be down on Intamin?

For me personally, I still feel safe on any roller coaster I ride no matter who the manufacturer is, and I'm not gonna get upset when people cast their negative opinions towards my favorite company. Neither should you, nor anybody else. We're all (mostly) adults here, on a message board, discussing a semi-major incident on a ride designed by a company who has had other semi-major incidents in the past. And that's all the discussion should be about.

<>

Five random things about this thread!

1. I'm not upset.

2. I have a life and find this argument so insignificant and it just annoys me that people put so much time and effort into it!!!!

3. No one on Earth other than probably 1000 people even know about this incident and in the grand scheme of things it means NOTHING. (Heck in any scheme it means NOTHING)

4. Having all of you arguing about it is only better for my website and we have a perfectly fine relationship with Intamin so keep it up all you want!!!!

5. I LOVE PAX RIDES!!! They're awesome death traps and there should be more of them, I also think Zamperla Kiddie rides are awesome. I wasn't calling those manufacturers out, I was merely posting cause there are a SHITLOAD of those rides out there that have accidents and incidents all of the time, but because they're kiddie rides or fair rides no one makes a big deal out of it!

6. People that only go to SFMM and Knotts need to get out more!!!!! There are way better Intamin rides elsewhere!

Edited by SharkTums

4. Having all of you arguing about it is only better for my website!

Yes, this is very true. Every time one of them posts something about Intamin and all the people their rides have injured it just helps our Alexa ranking, our Google ratings, our monthly post count, etc.

So please! Keep it up!

...and we have a perfectly fine relationship with Intamin so keep it up all you want!!!!

It's true, actually! I'm currently editing videos for them to use in a trade show. Hopefully thoes videos don't end up derailing!

--Robb

Great! Thank you austinlee and Steve Nuss! Everyone in the room is now more educated on the number of accidents on Intamin rides!

Thank goodness we're done with that pointless bit of information.

Could you please look up the accident ratio between Boeing and Airbus planes please because I'd really us to focus on other pointless bits of useless information regarding accidents on giant machines.

Thank you!

--Robb

Ha, when I first started reading that I thought you were going the route of the Billy Madison "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul" bit.