TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goliath at SFMM Deemed 'Unsafe'

I love how the headline uses the phrase FRIGHTENING STATISTICS but the broadcast team just yucks it up through the story.

This is why I haven't watched local TV news shows in years--what a bunch of idiots.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this on the news during breakfast this morning...

They kept saying that people passed out. Probably, this was confused with blacking or greying out... but it seemed really ridiculous because it happens to most people who ride Goliath, and all but one have survived it.

But you all know how word of mouth travels this could really hurt them this summer. if my mom see this news report that nbc4 is going to do tonight shes gonna never let me go back

Your mom wont let you go back to the park? Maybe its a little out of place for me to say but...youre long past the age of 18! Your welcome to come and go as you please!

Anywho, I think this is all rdiciulous. News Stations just looking for a story. All Roller Coasters alike can be unsafe. Rules are posted for a reason along with health realted signs. This is so ridiculous!

-Ryan

While the story was total crap(it is FOX we are talking about), they were trying to make a story. The watchdog group probably know nothing about how a coaster works(G-forces, what the hell are those? ). The only "true" thing was about the cell phones. I know the workers need to feel connected, but you don't have to be on the damn cell phone every five minutes.

I would like to see these ASO tools design a ride.
300 ft straight track. No hills. 0-5 mph launch in 10 seconds, followed by reverse run.

Restraints: Butterfly vest and ankle harnesses in an enclosed bubble.

OK, maybe it's not the greatest thing in the world to be on your cell at work, but f-ing a, have any of you worked at a theme park before? I worked at the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach one summer, and they worked us for 12 hr shifts at a WHOPPING $7.5/hr. How is it reasonable to expect one to never communicate for 12 hours at a time? I bet half the people making that statement either (a. work somewhere they can talk on a phone or (b. haven't reached working age.

Uh. I've worked at a theme park before (Knott's in 2004) with a $6.75/hr pay the summer after my senior year in high school and I NEVER USED MY CELL PHONE ON THE JOB or even took it out of my pocket even to just check the time --- and no matter how badly I needed to text message or call someone, I never touched my phone in front of guests. It is common sense in work ethics. At least I think it used to be.

Uh. I've worked at a theme park before (Knott's in 2004) with a $6.75/hr pay the summer after my senior year in high school and I NEVER USED MY CELL PHONE ON THE JOB or even took it out of my pocket even to just check the time --- and no matter how badly I needed to text message or call someone, I never touched my phone in front of guests. It is common sense in work ethics. At least I think it used to be.

It still is. And just take a look at other Six Flags parks around the world--Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Over Georgia. Do they have this major problem with cell phones? No, they do not. I have never seen an employee at Six Flags Great America look at his cell phone, let alone use it.

The cell phone issue at Six Flags Magic Mountain is an interesting one. There are several factors that must contribute to it. However, I truly believe that there simply isn't enough discipline being used at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and if the park were to use discipline for cell phone usage, the park would not find enough replacement employees for the ones fired. It's unfortunate, but it's probably the truth. Magic Mountain's middle-line staff needs to take a serious look at this problem and correct it before it gets out of hand further.

This is exactly what's wrong with news today. They don't look into things, they just report. And there was so much wrong with what was presented. After mentioning that Goliath is one of the "most dangerous", the first thing they mention is the death that had nothing to do with the ride itself. Sure, they mentioned it afterward that it had nothing to do with the ride, but what's the significance of bringing it up, or at least mentioning in the way they did? Then, after bringing that up, then didn't even say anything as to why the ride was unsafe? They just went straight to Tatsu and mentioned people getting nosebleeds and passing out. The story was just really unprofessional.

As for the cell phone argument, yeah, I think it's ridiculous to be on cell phone while operating a ride. I second Robb in that, if I had a business, somebody caught on their phone, especially in a situation like this, would be fired on the spot. As he said, it's horrible customer service and in the case of rides, it's also potentially dangerous. There is just too much you need to be aware of. When I worked in a park, I even had a friend who was fired on the spot for listening to an iPod while doing a "track" (grounds) walk. That incident may seem harsh, but at the same time, if you're too stupid to follow a simple rule like that, what else are you too stupid to do? It's not that hard of a concept.

For what it's worth, I worked games. I see no problem with even ride ops talking on their phones when the ride/game is dead. None. BUT if there are customers, duh. Of course not. I think I may have been misconstrued.

It's terrible customer service. Even when the game/ride is "dead." You're there to provide a service to the company and their guests, not chat on the phone at your free will on the company dime. That's for you to do when you're at home, not on the clock.

If I ran a park (or any customer service company for that matter) and saw someone chatting or texting on their cell phone, they would be fired on the spot.

--Robb "However I still think the ASO report is full of crap." Alvey

With absolutely no disrespect intended - as i love your vids - I would never work for you. There are going to be times over the course of a day where you might need to communicate. In the case of game op at the Pavilion, they came around once a day and told us it was lunch time. If we had to pee, we needed to hold it and flag someone down. It was brutal in the sense that you never got a chance to take just two minutes to yourself which was something OK at every other job I've ever had.

Besides, the customers very often don't even get off their cellphones anymore, so who's to say the employee - making a horrible wage and in my case being generally treated horribly - has to stand around when there's no-one around and just vegetate? Nobody at the Pavilion ever got on me about it so I'm thinking that as always with business the onus is on management, not the socalled "bad" employees.

Besides, the customers very often don't even get off their cellphones anymore, so who's to say the employee - making a horrible wage and in my case being generally treated horribly - has to stand around when there's no-one around and just vegetate?

Again, you are not forced to work there. If the conditions suck and the pay sucks, go find somewhere else!

Sometimes crappy jobs are just that, crappy, with restrictive rules and terrible tasks. If it's a burden to you to not be able to use your cell phone, find another place of employment where you can! Maybe the Verizon store or something.

RE: Scappari

I think that's the main issue with Magic Mountain.

They don't discipline their employees adaquetely enough. I guess we can all see that. 'Cause if they did, there would not be employees getting away with cell phone usage while on the job in front of paying customers, listening to portable music players, or walking around the park with half-tucked uniforms.

But hey, they probably figure that if they discipline employees and fire them, they're going to be replacing cell phone touting teens with other cell phone touting teens that don't give a rats ass about their job. It's almost like a vicious never ending cycle that can't be broken. I'd like to blame Magic Mountain's poor employee and customer service on the teen workforce pool they're stuck to hiring from, but all it takes is reinforcements and following through with discipline. I mean, what is it exactly that differentiates the hiring pool in Santa Clarita and Anaheim that results in such differences in employee morale? The contrast is so stark -- almost like black and white. I've never seen a Disney employee on a personal phone in view of guests, or with a uniform untucked.

Could all these problems at Magic Mountain stem from an apathetic upper management? Poor treatment of employees? A poor and unpleasant work environment for employees? Incompetent supervisors? Lack of discipline? Little or no employee work ethics incentives? Who knows...

All I am sure of is that my last visit to the park was in December of 2006 and will be the last for a VERY LONG time. There are so many things wrong with that park I could blow my lid just starting a list. Repainting ONE roller coaster, resurfacing a parking lot and removing two roller coasters are not improvements or additions. Those are things that should have been done YEARS ago.

That's what makes me so frustrated.

For what it's worth, I worked games. I see no problem with even ride ops talking on their phones when the ride/game is dead. None. BUT if there are customers, duh. Of course not. I think I may have been misconstrued.

It's terrible customer service. Even when the game/ride is "dead." You're there to provide a service to the company and their guests, not chat on the phone at your free will on the company dime. That's for you to do when you're at home, not on the clock.

If I ran a park (or any customer service company for that matter) and saw someone chatting or texting on their cell phone, they would be fired on the spot.

--Robb "However I still think the ASO report is full of crap." Alvey

With absolutely no disrespect intended - as i love your vids - I would never work for you. There are going to be times over the course of a day where you might need to communicate. In the case of game op at the Pavilion, they came around once a day and told us it was lunch time. If we had to pee, we needed to hold it and flag someone down. It was brutal in the sense that you never got a chance to take just two minutes to yourself which was something OK at every other job I've ever had.

Besides, the customers very often don't even get off their cellphones anymore, so who's to say the employee - making a horrible wage and in my case being generally treated horribly - has to stand around when there's no-one around and just vegetate? Nobody at the Pavilion ever got on me about it so I'm thinking that as always with business the onus is on management, not the socalled "bad" employees.

You have got to be kidding me. You are justifying employee usage of cell phones on the job because the customers do it? YOU ARE BEING PAYED TO PROVIDE A SERVICE, IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER. You are not the customer. You are being paid to work. YOU ACKNOWLEDGED the fact you were going to work 12-hour shifts by accepting the job and that is nobody's fault but yours. To complain that you are working 12-hour shifts and get bored and thus require your cell phone for entertainment is STUPID in the most literal sense of the word.

And did you ever stop to think that if management agreed to allow ANY kind of cell phone usage by employees while on the job -- even if it's to cure your bordom on a slow day -- that employees will assume it'll be okay to do it when the park is crowded? I mean why not? They would be able to get away with it by lying and expecting returned sympathy in the form of not being disciplined -- "Oh Mr. Supervisor, I'm sorry I was on my cell phone, my mom is being sent to the hospital." (then turns around and rolls eyes).

That's the problem with making exceptions. Exceptions always lead to rule breaking and loop holes in the regulations and rules. It is absurd you would even try to debate against this.

If you need to pee, you alert your supervisor. If he/she isn't in the immediate area, phone in to let them know. If you have a family emergency, tough sh*t, the office will have messages forwarded for and to you. You're on the job. You leave your personal crap in the locker until you clock out.

If you aren't healthy enough to ride, DONT ride...its THAT simple.

But it is VERY unprofessional to be on your cell phone while "on the clock" at anyjob. esp. if it's a job that involves the public.

I agree totally. If you have ANY of the listed health problems then DO NOT ride! But then they say it is too forceful. Well you were warned during the Que, but you were texting and calling the ride ops on the station. So your fault not the parks.

I just finished watching the news (ABC 7) and they did a report on this. It was completly rediculous. Although, I laughed quite hard when the statement Six Flags said was,"..safety and security in our park is our number one priority." Anywho, it really does bug me that a ride is deemed unsafe because people that know their physical limitations go on a roller coaster that pulls like 5 g's! I just wish people would wake up and read the signs and actually know what they're getting onto.

---Brent

Just imagine you were in a grocery store, and you went up to an employee to ask them where something is but they were yapping on their cell phone on the job. That would be COMPLETELY unacceptable and they would be disciplined or probably fired immediately for using a cell phone on the sales floor. And believe me, supermarket workers or basically any other retail jobs don't pay any better than theme parks, yet they are still expected to act in a professional manner while on the job.

I thought the footage was pretty cool. But the complaints about after riding Goliath and Tatsu are simple and shouldn't be even reported. There are intense forces on the ride, and the park explains it. I also didn't really like the reporters, the humor was way different than here in Cinci.

*ps - Spellcheck is great, Robb!*

Yeah, it really could be unsafe to have employees talking on phones while operating rides. The ride should have 100% of the employees' attention.

According to ASO's "bottom five", the only park less safe than Six Flags Magic Mountain is Kings Dominion. I know, ASO has absolutely no credentials and bases everything on consensus, but is Kings Dominion even bad? I just wonder i've never been there, but I haven't read the bad reviews about it that i've read about other parks mentioned.

On the other hand, ASO also says the other major Virginia park (Busch) seems to be the Safest park.

I completely agree with Robb. Dont ever just sit up here on company time and yak on your cell phone, you are on company time, not personal time. Your cell phone is PERSONAL and has nothing to do with your job. They are not paying you to yak on your cellphone, they are paying you to work, and if you have nothing to do, then just sit there. Yes it may be boring, but like other people said, go somewhere else. no one is forcing you to work there.

Loco and I went to Great America last Saturday and i DIDNT see any employee with their cell phone out. Not one. SFMM must not even care. How sad. Like Robb, if i was running a park and i told them no cell phones, if i saw one of them with it, you would be gone. No exceptions. SO unprofessional.

Just imagine you were in a grocery store, and you went up to an employee to ask them where something is but they were yapping on their cell phone on the job. That would be COMPLETELY unacceptable and they would be disciplined or probably fired immediately for using a cell phone on the sales floor. And believe me, supermarket workers or basically any other retail jobs don't pay any better than theme parks, yet they are still expected to act in a professional manner while on the job.

I work retail. As long as we're not at the counter we can discreetly make brief phone calls.