TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goliath at SFMM Deemed 'Unsafe'

I've worked plenty of jobs where I couldn't use my cell phone during my shift. My cell phone would sit in a locker until break time or the end of my shift. It's crazy, these new fangled phones have this thing called voicemail where people can leave you messages if you don't pick up your phone. Maybe you should look into that.

You're an employee, not a slave. If you don't like the working conditions, go find somewhere else to work.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked as a restaurant front desk host for 2 years when I was 16 and 17. I kept my cell phone on vibrate in my pocket and never answered it if it rang during my shift. If I was talking on my cell phone it would have looked unprofessional to both my employers and the customers coming in to be sat. Once I got a break, I'd go outside and sit down and use it to return the calls.

At a theme park, the reasons not to use one are more significant. In addition to looking unprofessional to customers and employees, there is also a safety issue.

OK, maybe it's not the greatest thing in the world to be on your cell at work, but f-ing a, have any of you worked at a theme park before? I worked at the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach one summer, and they worked us for 12 hr shifts at a WHOPPING $7.5/hr. How is it reasonable to expect one to never communicate for 12 hours at a time? I bet half the people making that statement either (a. work somewhere they can talk on a phone or (b. haven't reached working age.

Sorry, I worked at Hersheypark for five years. You were only allowed to use the phone on your breaks. Rides can be very dangerous, especially if people are not paying attention because they're too busy yammering on the phone or whatever.

Most places of employment frown on people making personal calls during work hours. Get used to it.

dt

Maybe the bigwig will ban cell phones from the jobsites lol i bet shapiros pacing in hie office trying to think of how to get this issue in check If i was still working there i would have reported anyone useing a cell on the clock except if they are on break or lunch id even write there names down so i can turn a list into del directly.Here is their report guys http://www.amusementsafety.org/six_flags/magic_mountain.htm

I must say the quality of the news casts out in LA seem to be "excellent".

Skipping over words, using um's, very professional.

The only one that looks like they belong there is the old guy, and even that might be an overstatement...

That website is completely ridiculous. It is totally biased, and has no reliable source for the information they recieve. The fact is, a park would not operate a ride that is unsafe. Most people probably don't even know what they're talking about when they submit something to that site, and overexaggerate every little detail.

The employees should not be talking on any kind of phone, ever. Not only is it extremely rude to the guests at the park, but it is also dangerous in this type of situation, operating machinery. Many seem to forget that rides and roller coasters are operating machines that can do anything, so completely attention is necessary.

The cell phone thing i can understand but when they say that some of the problems are nose bleeds... wow thats lame. That happens at schools all the time and they don't report it!

OK, maybe it's not the greatest thing in the world to be on your cell at work, but f-ing a, have any of you worked at a theme park before? I worked at the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach one summer, and they worked us for 12 hr shifts at a WHOPPING $7.5/hr. How is it reasonable to expect one to never communicate for 12 hours at a time? I bet half the people making that statement either (a. work somewhere they can talk on a phone or (b. haven't reached working age.

Try working from 10am to 1am with two half hour breaks in the slowest Pizza Hut on earth. I spent my whole Summer Vacation sitting in a hot restraunt. There were days when we wouldn't have customers for hours and I had to stand there waiting for someone to order. I only used my phone on breaks.

The story was definately a huge joke. I "grayout" all the time on coasters, yet I would never even think about complaining.

Overall the way news sources get their rocks off talking about safety issues a parks is hysterical. If the world was so concerned for our safety then we should get rid of cars. Now, obviously I know we can't, but we also can't stop every single injury at a park. There is a risk involved with everything you do in life and since parks are not a staple in life if you feel unsafe just don't go.

As far as not being able to use your phone at work, get over it. That is why it is work they pay you to do a job.

Hey Dan, you out there somewhere? I was just thinking back to when we were riding Psyclone and the ride op was talking on her cell phone as she was checking restraints while we were waiting to come back into the station. I know you got the picture somewhere...

Wow that story was total crap. ASO is total crap. All it was was "Here's a list of stuff people complained about....they even complainted about the heat!"

Must have been a really slow news day.

--Robb

Wow, Robb is standing up for Magic Mountain. Sounds like a news report on its own.

It's a Six Flags. How is this a surprise?

Yeah, because *only* Six Flags parks have had safety issues. *ONLY* Six Flags parks have had employees doing wrong.

How is it reasonable to expect one to never communicate for 12 hours at a time? I bet half the people making that statement either (a. work somewhere they can talk on a phone or (b. haven't reached working age....I notice nobody tackled my opinion of those who are complaining.

you are a product of the modern society. I hope you never travel outside of the country where your cell phone won't work. ohh, the horror!!

btw as for your opinion, I once worked a job where cell phones weren't even allowed in the building, yet alone to be used. I had no problem with it, I could just wait until I was done and if it was a real emergency we had a phone line that family could call or whatever. What your friends are doing tonight isn't really an emergency or anything..

You guys are forgetting the bottom line here. Fox actually sent out a reporter to stand in front of SFMM

== free publicity!!

Maybe if Shapiro hadn't allowed employees to carry their cell phones in the park then this wouldn't be quite as big of a problem. Hard to talk on the phone when you don't have it...

Parktrips wrote:

== free publicity!!

I was thinking for a second is Six Flags mad at this or not lol. IT is free publicity and how many accidents have actually accured at SFMM. Ya that woman died on goliath but that was pre-existing consequences. Also lets not look down the freeway to Knotts where someone actually died because it was the companies fault lol.

Fox and their local news departments are just two-bit sensation artists. They hype up anything and everything for ratings, I have a friend who works for the affiliate here in Dallas and they pull this garbage on a weekly basis. As for SF parks, they're hire a good number of HS and college kids (yes, im 30 now, I can say kids) who dont know their backside from a hole in the ground. They barely know how to run a "Pink Thing" stand, let alone run a giant steel machine with thousands of moving parts.

For what it's worth, I worked games. I see no problem with even ride ops talking on their phones when the ride/game is dead. None. BUT if there are customers, duh. Of course not. I think I may have been misconstrued.

It's terrible customer service. Even when the game/ride is "dead." You're there to provide a service to the company and their guests, not chat on the phone at your free will on the company dime. That's for you to do when you're at home, not on the clock.

If I ran a park (or any customer service company for that matter) and saw someone chatting or texting on their cell phone, they would be fired on the spot.

--Robb "However I still think the ASO report is full of crap." Alvey

okay, first of all, there are signs outside of goliath and tatsu warning people of the intensity of the ride, and not to ride if you have_______!

second of all, if you dont like the heat, dont freakin go!

stop bitchin about it peeps. if you dont like it, we dont give, just dont go.

okay, first of all, there are signs outside of goliath and tatsu warning people of the intensity of the ride, and not to ride if you have_______!

second of all, if you dont like the heat, dont freakin go!

stop bitchin about it peeps. if you dont like it, we dont give, just dont go.

My point exactly!