TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Coaster POV Video!

Hey everyone!

I have just posted yet another segment from our Coaster Expedition Volume 8 DVD.

Since we haven't released any "Coaster Footage" segments I thought this would be a perfect one to release since everyone wanted to see the POVs we shot after seeing the last Alton Towers video we posted.

This video includes lipstick mounted POVs of Nemesis (including reverse POV!), Air, and Rita. And there is also some great footage of Oblivion and Spinball Whizzer!

Check out TPR's video downloads page for this and any other TPR videos you might have missed:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/video.htm

Enjoy!

--Robb

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice POV, but I was expecting so much more with the music! Oh well, there's always next video. Anyways, I couldn't help but notice that some of Alton Towers coasters don't seem to have a set "first drop". Air gradually gains speed, Rita has a launch and that small hill, and Nemesis eventually hits an inversion that goes down. Is this a trick of the camera, or are there really no set "first drops"?

Nice footage anyway.

-nesdude

Corkscrew and obviously oblivian have first drops, but the other gravity powered coasters gain speed through some other elements that are downhill. I like it actually. Might have something to do with the treeline height restrictions. Its difficult to build stright up and down at alton towers.

One last question.... Is it the video that makes it look like this but is Air really that slow?

Yup! It's one quite boring ride, at least IMO.

--Robb "Air is like the 'family version' of a B&M flyer." Alvey

What exactly were you expecting?

--Robb

I'm not quite sure, but a good number of TPR videos have some sort of crazy music that really sets the video off nicely. I really can't describe it, a lot of it is upbeat and just seems to make the video better. Good examples of this type of music is the other Alton Towers video, the Blackpool video, the UK Trip closing segment, the Kentucky Rumbler video, even the Sarkanniemi video had an excellent song choice.

I guess I didn't feel that this music fit the coasters involved, maybe that's it. Something just seemed off with the music. Maybe it doesn't feel like "coaster music"? Really, I don't know. But that's me, dunno about anyone else!

-nesdude

^ Actually, I feel that it's quite the opposite!

Usually, people have complained to Robb that they would like to see the POV videos with no music at all. Well, that's pretty damn boring!!

Remember, this is a specific "POV" video (just what some fans have asked for), and not an "antic" type of video (like the normal videos that you've obviously seen) for those people that may have not ridden the ride and would like to experience the next best thing, while seeing the whole ride.

All that being said, I think that this is one of the best POV videos that Robb has done, since it does capture all of the interesting POV's with a smoother transition (using the music) between the rides, instead of: ride, cut, ride, cut, ride, end.

Granted, I personally would like to see Robb do either an instrumental or a hard rock coaster video, but that's not their style of music. I can live with that. There's a lot of work done on the videos, and you get to download them for free.

Great job (again) Robb!

JJ

Hey Robb, you should edit custom videos...like take requests and make specific videos for each person here. That would be the responsible thing to do...

...or you can keep making the best videos out there just the way you've always done! I'd say stick with the latter choice.

TJ "Robb's videos make me wet" MacLennan

Just reminds me how awesome Nemesis is. I wish I could ride it again.

Nice POVs Robb.

You know for how accessible Air is I found it not photogenic at all. I don't know what it was about it, just seemed like I couldn't get many decent pics of it.

Nemesis on the other hand you could stand anywhere and got awesome shots of it.

Well, I enjoyed AIR so much - I even bought the cap and bear and shooter glass!

Really though, I did enjoy it and the slowness of it, taking it in as 'coasting' as it were, heh heh.

Especially that parking lot fly-by. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

One last question.... Is it the video that makes it look like this but is Air really that slow?

No, it certainly doesn't feel that slow.

I hear a lot of complaints about Air on here but I think that it's a fairly decent coaster. Although the "on your back" section doesn't really fit on a flying coaster, it's a unique and fun element and it doesn't spoil the ride in any way.

Plus Air is the only flyer that brings you close to the terrain in the way that it does so that it feels as if you're skimming the grass with your fingers. It may be fairly slow but I would never describe it as boring, it's not meant to be the next Nemesis, it's designed around the concept of flight which I think is something that all other fliers have failed to pull off.

Anyway about the video, I for one liked the music, partially because it once featured at Alton's firework display and because for some reason it goes with the park. Some nice footage of Nemesis in particular, I love backwards POVs

^ Well, I hate to tell you, but it was really nice just to slip along, all above the crowd, dipping and (sometimes) diving in and around everything....

I loved it, for a first-time 'flyer' coaster, you know? Didn't have to be 'fast', nor did it have to be very fancy with it's setup, either.

I was fine with it, as it was.

Air isn't boring IMO. I know i'm an AT fanboy, but come on. It isn't trying to be a Tatsu or whatever - it's a beautiful work of engineering - and every curve it makes feels totally natural. There's no other coaster like it. It's beautiful.

It's just a shame that the original theming plans weren't taken through as it would truly have been even more a wonder on the eye had they done it.

• 3 weeks later...

That was a great video...now if I only had the money to visit Alton Towers and experience these rides in person...

Air isn't boring IMO. I know i'm an AT fanboy, but come on. It isn't trying to be a Tatsu or whatever - it's a beautiful work of engineering - and every curve it makes feels totally natural. There's no other coaster like it. It's beautiful.

It's just a shame that the original theming plans weren't taken through as it would truly have been even more a wonder on the eye had they done it.

What were the original theming plans for Air?