TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alanis Morissette is a Genius!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, loved it! She's not trying to make a radio hit, she's parodying mindless songs like 'My Humps' by eliminating the beats and "catchiness factor" and thus exposing it to be simply a terrible song.

It's sarcasm people! If you actually wait till the end you'll hear them laughing.

It'd be better if she made fun of the Pussycatdolls, they suck! No offense to anyone who likes them, i respect they're opinion. Or, better if she sung something by System of a down or Strongbad. Now that would be hilarious!

Also, its not nearly as awesome as this!

I, for one, loved it! She's not trying to make a radio hit, she's parodying mindless songs like 'My Humps' by eliminating the beats and "catchiness factor" and thus exposing it to be simply a terrible song.

It's sarcasm people! If you actually wait till the end you'll hear them laughing.

You giver her way too much credit.

There's no beats or "catchiness factor" because Alanis's music never has beats or "catchiness factor".

All you said was that she took a successful song, took out what made it succesful, and what you have left is a peice of crap.

The music is better, Alanis can actually sing, she looks a lot better than Fergie too and most importantly, this version didn't give me the urge to trow anything with speakers out the window. Now the only bad thing about the song are the lyrics.

I have mixed feelings about this video. Steve Allen (for you kids, he hosted the Tonight Show back in the 1950s) used to do a routine where he would give "poetic" readings of rock-song lyrics without music, as in

Be Bop a lula

Be my baby.

Be bop a lula

Don't mean maybe.

Thus, he showed that the lyrics were nonsense. However, he also missed the point that rock 'n' roll was also about "the beat." (Besides, what does 'fa la la la la" mean, anyway?)

Morrisette has, indeed, done a good job of showing that this song's lyrics are crap. However, I don't think people listen to this tune for the words.

You giver her way too much credit.

There's no beats or "catchiness factor" because Alanis's music never has beats or "catchiness factor".

All you said was that she took a successful song, took out what made it succesful, and what you have left is a peice of crap.

Yes, and showing that the song was basically a piece of crap in the first place. I don't think I gave her too much credit, she was commenting on how popular/successful songs seem to only rely on said beats and "catchiness factor." I wasn't giving her singing abilies any credit.

Yes, and showing that the song was basically a piece of crap in the first place.

Yes, that might be. But that's not my point.

Take a crappy song, and give it to a crappy singer and it's still going to be bad.

But if you take a crappy song and give it to someone talented, then they can sometimes make a decent song out of it.

Yes, and showing that the song was basically a piece of crap in the first place.

Yes, that might be. But that's not my point.

Take a crappy song, and give it to a crappy singer and it's still going to be bad.

But if you take a crappy song and give it to someone talented, then they can sometimes make a decent song out of it.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I wasn't saying that the song was pleasant to listen to, I was saying that it worked well in getting the point across that most popular music is shallow.

I agree Alanis is not the best musician in the world, I loved the song because of what she was saying with it.

And when exactly was this song performed by someone talented?

It wasn't, he was just making the point to me that it would take someone talented to make a crappy song like this decent.

I loved this video when someone sent it to me earlier this week. I can't stand most stuff Alanis has done, and I have an even lower tolerance for anything by Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas, but I found it hilarious just because it is making fun of the original song and in a way, Fergie's whole career. To be honest, its dumb. But thats what makes if funny. And I think it shows that Alanis is willing to laugh at herself.

I wasn't referring to this song exactly. Just cover songs in general.

There's plenty of cover songs out there that are done better then the original artist.

Course there's just as many that get butchered.

I just want to thank Alanis for making this song into a bigger joke than it already is. It is garbage like this that makes me not listen to POP music today. It just proves that any crap can be popular as long as it has a catchy beat. Take a look at the Pussycat Dolls for further proof.