TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Support Joyland

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no but Ill ask next time and see how bad the damage was.Anyway I think Michael still has a fighting chance. Think what he could do for the park without restrictions or the city on his back. the biggest thing they accomplished last year was to keep out the thugs and gang bangers.They really cleaned up the image of the park and made it into a safe family friendly environment.no more drugs being dealt in the pavilion area or fights. Last year there were no instances of violence at the park.The last easter the park was open there was a shooting and stabbing! Under the new management : no incidents! I hope they get the chance to continue on the positive path they were on.

How are you talking with him? If he gets back into management, and the city wasn't on his back, the possibilities would be almost endless. Its really sad the city gives him so much crap, the waterpark and hotel could have been a great destination. I'm assuming they'd have added more rides if that happened. (or if it happens)

Ive talked with them since the beginning when I did all the work to restore the old shoe.Keep up the support everyone , as it looks like a save Joyland instead of support it now. The article in todays eagle said the Nelsons are moving the rides into storage. I wonder who has there eye on the land?

• 2 weeks later...

I got an e-mail from one of the people that leased the park.

We have been illegally removed from the property a few weeks ago by the Nelsons. They took possession by cutting off all the locks to the park and replacing them with their own. We are preparing a 40 million dollar lawsuit against the City of Wichita, the Nelsons, Occidental brokerage, Haas Wilkerson Insurance, Continental Insurance and Joe Bixler the roller coaster inspector. By law we have to give 120 days notice of intent to file a lawsuit against the city so we will first file against the others and enjoin the city once we comply.

We have planned all along to build a strip retail center on Hillside...but the zoning is not correct and the city and the Nelsons never followed through on rezoning the property to CG as promised, when we first purchased the park.

The coaster was named the nightmare because that is what it looks like, even though it is structurally and mechanically sound. The courts will have to decide who was at fault here and we are confident we will prevail. We have never had problems with the city and associated players in a deal being so dishonest and unethical and we are confident the jury will see it the same way. Joyland's future is going to be up in the air until the court fights are over.

The Nelsons did this same type of thing to David Rohr and got away with it. We are not going to be as easy.. We are suing in federal court so we can avoid the home town judges and court system and give us a level playing field.

The Wacky Shack fire was minimal and nothing will be sold from the park legally until all these issues are resolved. The Nelsons have sold or attempted to sell thousands of dollars of items that were an integral part of the operations of the park. Criminal charges for mail fraud, wire fraud and grand theft are being investigated and we have ten pages of items stolen as evidence....maybe the Nelsons can visit Leavenworth as a potential retirement facility.

Stay tuned as we get geared up for a major lawsuit and we attempt to expose some of the corrupt business practices taking place in Wichita. We are attempting to get national media coverage (Primetime, 20/20, Fox News etc.) so all the US can see what goes on with the Network in Wichita. The purpose will be to keep other entrepreneurs and businesses from being defrauded by the city and other unethical business leaders in the city. Wichita needs to be exposed for what they really are.

yep. there it is.

so they were planning on demo'ing Joyland to put in a strip mall? Did I read that right, or were they planning on adding a strip mall on the property. Seeing how they didn't pay the lease, I see the Nelson's side, seeing how they were just evicted without notice, I can see the other side. Unless in the lease it states that they can be kicked out without warning.

^^^ Dude... Well, at least they are putting up a strong fight, that's about the most we can hope for.

I don't understand why it was always in their plans to build a strip mall on the property, it seems to deviate from their plans for a $40 million dollar upgrade to the park and the building of a water park. How big a chunk of Joyland was needed for the strip mall, and how critical was it to the park's expansion?

They were only going to put in the strip mall not demo the park.That would allow for financing and make it profitable year round. it would have only been the front portion wich is only trees sign and entryway.

^^^ Dude... Well, at least they are putting up a strong fight, that's about the most we can hope for.

I don't understand why it was always in their plans to build a strip mall on the property, it seems to deviate from their plans for a $40 million dollar upgrade to the park and the building of a water park. How big a chunk of Joyland was needed for the strip mall, and how critical was it to the park's expansion?

Heres my idea of where they would put a stripmall, and where they could expand to.

Stripmall places in red, expansion in yellow.

As you can see, there is a huge chunk of land untouched. They could probably triple the size of the park like that. A stripmall may be a good sound barrier, but I think they whould build a sound wall to help stop noise complaints.

I'd say kill it... No need to try to delay the inevitable. If it does not die now it will die in the near future. I don't mean to come off as cynical and I do not "hate" Joyland, but honestly all parks die for a reason. Maybe they'll pull a Bells and move somewhere else, then again maybe it wont.

I can tell you this guys, calling all those numbers will do NOTHING. The last thing those people need are a bunch of coaster enthusiasts talking their ears off about something they don't care about...

In short, let the park die with some grace, without making a big scene