TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Support Joyland

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to go with Robb on this one. If you were in a city political office and had to deal with trash pickups and public outcries over roundabouts 24/7, would you want coaster enthusiasts calling you every hour?

Just sayin'.

Like I've said before, we all know that pestering is not an option, but if your city wants to plop a massive highway right through the middle of your neighborhood, over several local landmarks, what do you do? While we don't want to piss anyone off, the citizens of Wichita have a right and an obligation to make sure the government they pay to support is working for them as it should.

Placing tons of phone calls just makes us look like the "Fanatical weirdos" that the Simpsons pegged coaster enthusiasts to be.

--Robb

Wait...unless I missed something we ARE fanatical weirdos! I think bombarding the local city council is the beast thing to do. Even if it doesn't change anything, at least we'd get to pester and annoy people!

These people work for the city (supposedly), that gives me and everybody else just cause to harrass and annoy these people with reckless abandon. Why should they be free to just go about their jobs? They are getting paid to serve us, and it's our job to make them fell sorry about taking that job!

We probably can't make the situation any better, but we sure as hell can make it worse! I've already sent e-mails to each address from several different accounts that I created. In one I clamed to be a banker with "loads of cash" just so I seem legitimate.

Joyland! OMG!!!

-Don

I meant the "keep sending emails" sarcastically. And trespassing to get a credit? That would be pretty hard to do if you don't have someone at the station to operate the brakes. Its not a crappy park, it is actually a nice place. I mean, sure the darkride may smell a little funny, and the midway has cracks, and there is a lot of old stuff, but it sure as hell beats any day at a bigger park. You don't even have to care about the place. If you haven't been there before, why jump to a conclusion and call it crappy?

I mean, sure the darkride may smell a little funny, and the midway has cracks, and there is a lot of old stuff, but it sure as hell beats any day at a bigger park.
That's because there's no lines at Joyland cause it's that crappy of a park.

Seriously, I really have to agree with the others in this thread. Pestering the government because your home park has problems and you're a fanboy is pretty stupid.

Seriously, I really have to agree with the others in this thread. Pestering the government because your home park has problems and you're a fanboy is pretty stupid.

Good grief, where does everyone get the idea that this is all about being a fanboy? When your government skrews you over, you let them know you're pissed, that's how democracy works (or should work). Now once again, we're out for a purpose and aren't just wanting to cry about being picked on, but we should do something. After all, what other business would let a city treat them like this?

Honestly, there's a big difference between fanboism and standing up for what's right. Look at the facts.

This isnt about being a fanboy. The place isnt big enough to have any fanboys, at all. All we are trying to say is it should be able to go on. Anyone who has been to a classic park, such as waldameer, conneaut, bell's, etc. knows that these parks are a dying breed. If you all just want to be stupid about it and call it dumpy and sucky if you have never been there before have no real business saying anything bad about it. If you had only one park close to you with everything you like in a park, and it was going away how would you feel about that? My guess is you would be pretty mad about it. If you don't even care about it, why did you make a post about it? I know most of you all would probably rather go to a giant park for a day than any little park for a day.

I'd rather go to a small park than one of the major chain parks any day.

I actually have plans to visit WWW and Joyland in June (provided it's actually open). Part of me is just pissed at the park, the city, and the whole situation. I'm trying to find out if anything is actually going to happen with the park before I drive all the way out to Witchita.

I actually have a historical connection to Joyland. My stepdad grew up around Witchita and has told me stories about when he was a teen his friends and him would wander around the park at night and drink behind the coaster. I've got to visit for this tenuous family connection alone!

I'm not bagging on your guy's park at all. I've been to Uncle Bernies, I know that there are much worse parks than Joyland! I just hope the park gets going in a few months. Otherwise what the hell am I going to do? I sure as hell don't want to drive across Nebraska again!

Joyland, please run your crappy coaster soon. I need to trespass and get drunk underneath it this summer!

Another bad turn for Joyland. I stopped by the park today and the locks were changed and this wa son the fence. I couldnt figure out how to post a pic or I would have included the original. not sure how this happened , last time I talked with Michael they were paid ahead on the rent.

NOTICE TO QUIT PREMISESFOR NONPAYMENT OF RENT

DELIVERED ON APRIL 20 , 2007BY POSTING AT 2801 S. HILLSIDE AND BY CERTIFIED MAILRETURN RECIEPT REQUESTED

TO : Joyland Amusement Park Michael Moodenbaugh2801 S Hillside 2801 S HillsideWichita KS 67211 Wichita , KS 67211Robert Barnard2801 S HillsideWichita KS 67211

RE: Non-Residential Lease Agreement Dated april 1 , 2006

You are hereby notified that your tenancy and rights under that certain lease refered to above and covering the premises at 2801 S Hillside Wichita ,KS, is hereby TERMINATED due to your failure to pay rent for the monthsof January , February,March and April 2007. Under the terms of your lease thes rentals were due and payable on the first day of each month.Your failure to timely pay these rentals is an Event of Default under your lease.

You are hereby notified that within three(3) days from the date of this notice you must quit , vacate and surrender the property described above. If you fail to do either of these things, a lawsuit will be commenced in the District Court of Sedgwick County , Kansas to eject and remove you from the property.

BEVER DYE , LCBY Scott D. JensenAttorneys for Stanley and Margaret Nelson

What? So it's over? Just like that? Damn, I actually thought there was a glimmer of hope left for the place... damn.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad though; we've lost this place, but WWW is opening right across town, and several other new parks could be coming to the U.S. soon as well. It just pains me that this is really one of the last of the classics, that just could never be replaced...

So now the Nelsons own the park fully again? What next? I assume the rides were only leased to the partners, so they shouldn't be able to sell them off. Aug, this point, finding a quality buyer will be hard, with one strike, mounting competition, and piling debts, I'd be surprised if the Nelsons don't sell out to a condo developer within the next few weeks. But still, I have faith - or rather, unreasonable optimism, in this park.

I don't think any condo developers would be interested. The land value is dirt cheap, its not in a "hot spot" of the city either. I guess they may just let it sit until someone comes along. I think they should open it back up under their name, or something. If the "rohr enterprises" or whatever it is still exists, maybe they could have him lease it again. By now, they are probably ready to sell it dirt cheap.

Oh, BTW, I'm pretty sure they only leased the rides.