TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Back to the Future is History

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also remember riding this attraction when it first opened in '91, back when I was in the sixth grade... I've always been a HUGE BTTF fan, love all the movies. I don't remember it being so jerky or causing me any pain... of course, back then, it had just opened so it was new, and I was also a kid, so that might have something to do with it, also. I will miss not being able to ride it again.

^ I didn't know Soarin' used the same technology. Maybe Universal will update it and it will be similar to Soarin', hopefully with a better theme than The Simpsons.

Yeah, both Soarin' and Back to the Future utilize Omnimax/IMAX Dome theatre systems. The domes stretch 180 degrees, for a fully-encompassing movie experience. Also, it features the unparalled IMAX film and sound quality.

While both are very different rides, this common factor links them together. It shows the extreme versatality of the IMAX product, and hopefully more rides will be built using the IMAX experience.

You're like a living, breathing IMAX advertisement. Jokes aside, I'm pretty sure this ride's film and sound quality was "paralled" by quite a few things (meaning they're equally bad.)

You're like a living, breathing IMAX advertisement. Jokes aside, I'm pretty sure this ride's film and sound quality was "paralled" by quite a few things (meaning they're equally bad.)

LOL... I guess that's what happens when you work at an IMAX theatre.

Universal probably just didn't take care of the projection and sound systems like they should have, which doesn't suprise me. A real IMAX experience is far better than what Universal demonstrated with Back to the Future; however, I still think it was a very cool concept.

This ride once tore out a huge chunk of my hair when it got caught between the back of the vehicle and the seat cushion. Must have looked pretty disgusting to the next person who was supposed to sit in that seat. And yeah, the preshows were abysmal...enough to keep me away from the ride right there!

Good riddance.

-Julie

^That's a good question--I just thought it was interesting to see it on the IMDB, which is often riddled with errors, at least about older movies (their news page is generally a little better than that).

Though the theming and things were completely awesome for this ride, the actual ride itself was pretty crappy. I remember going on Star Tours a few months later, and thinking - "wow...Back To The Future really was that bad." It would be nice if they'd keep the car though - stuff like that makes Universal cool.

A second thing, why would Universal have a Simpsons ride, which is a Fox show?

^It's all about licensing. MIB and Ghostbusters were not Universal movies, but they were licensed for use from other companies. Obviously, making a ride based on a Universal movie or TV show would cut the licensing costs.

• 2 months later...

If the touted Simpsons attraction is going to replace this classic one, not ever being a real fan of the aforementioned "cartoon", then all I can say is one huge "D'oh" (assuming I've got that correct).

Maybe I never gave The Simpsons the time of day, but then I loved South Park and King of the Hill; just thought the Simpsons were a bit crass. It wouldn't be good if we were all the same anyhow, but if I were to give the upcoming Simpsons movie a chance visit then I guess I could be just about the only viewer making a premature exit from the theatre.

Just for the record, I thought the Back to the Future attraction was ahead of its time, and a lot more impressive than Disney's Star Tours, but then maybe it was that huge curved screen. Have to admit I suffered a severe back pain after enduring the Florida version once though; it certainly could be rough, and not a very comfortable vehicle inside.

Martin (UK)

Hi all,

As far as I know this attraction will still be operating at USH (Universal Studios Hollywood) - so you can still ride this movie! (I think I also read somewhere that one of their other parks would be retaining it too - Japan maybe??)

Martin

Sorry, I have to chime in on this. I'm so glad to see this thing go. I've been on it twice and got off with a horrible headache and nausea, and it's very rare that a ride does that to me. They can level the whole building for all I care. What I'm interested in, however, is how the Simpsons ride will pan out. I'm not really a fan but they could do a lot of fun things with the concept. Simulator? Dark ride? Only time will tell.

^It is going a to be a simulator, using the same ride system as Back to the Future. Basically, they are just overlaying most of the building with new colors and theming to match the Simpsons. It will be interesting to see if the ride turns out well...

^So now you go to Hebrew school with someone who has a father that works for Universal Creative?

The ride is still operating @ USH through the summer. And everything is rumored to be getting an overhaul. The motion bases, the projectors, and of course all the themeing. Not just "the same ride system with new paint".

^I am long out of Hebrew School thank you! In no way did I say the systems wouldn't be replaced, I said that they would be the same type of system. As for the overhauls on color and theme, that was for the building, not the ride system itself.

^It is going a to be a simulator, using the same ride system as Back to the Future. Basically, they are just overlaying most of the building with new colors and theming to match the Simpsons. It will be interesting to see if the ride turns out well...

Um, no you said "the same ride system."

^Not only did he same the same ride system, but he went on to say that "they are just overlaying most of the building with new colors and themeing to match the Simpsons."

Not sure how we could have misunderstood, nor am I sure how he got inside information that no one else has. Especially given that he doesn't have a friend in Hebrew school whose dad works for Universal Creative.

Right now all we know for sure is that the rides are closing to become the Simpsons.

Right now all we know for sure is that the rides are closing to become the Simpsons.

No, that isn't all we know. It will be the same ride system, just redone. The biggest change will be the projection technology.