TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kingda Ka...finally

For those of you keeping track, official word from SFGAdv is that KK media day is May 19, and it opens to the GP the next day. I can hear a bored yawn from the assembled, but hey, I'll be there 12 days later, and sorry, but I'm excited...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think it will since Intamin has had time between the time TTD was opened till now to work out all the kinks in the hydraulic launch system. Look at Storm Runner, built last year, same system, and it runs fine. The only time the ride had downtime was due to one of the wheels and it was open about an hour and half after the park opened.

^ Agreed. If TTD had been built at a Six Flags park and KK was opening at CP, I wonder if the buzz would be quite this mixed.

Hell, I don't know if the extra 35 feet and 8 mph will make any noticeable difference, but it still ain't, as they say, chopped liver. Strange how blasé folks get - 10 years ago this ride would have seemed inconceivable...

"Not a size queen...much" Shepp

I just read somewhere on Point Buzz, Yeah I know, that Six Flags is having major problems with KK. It's so bad, they are asking Cedar Point for help.

Cedar Point has helped other parks from time to time. I remember Disney brought one of the river rafts from Grizzly River Run to Cedar Point's Thunder Canyon to test them out before DCA opened.

I doubt they'll help Six Flags though. They left Geauga Lake looking like crap. Had to put some major $$$$$$$$ into it.

Wally "I don't recommend visiting Point Buzz cause it sucks ass" Weiss

^ You will here nothing but problems with KK from a site that is 99% CP fan boys. Look at sites that have a little less bias for the REAL news .... like this one.

Never knew about the "grizzly" boats, but Kennywood did shoot their Ragin Rapids pre-opening commercial at PKD.

I'm going on the 24th! YAY I'll make sure to take some pics and post them and hopefully it will be runing by then cause if not that would suck.

Somewhere in Vegas I can make a bet that YOU will not ride KK when you go. Sorry man, I'm all in, on you not riding it.

If you do, you better post your TR here first! AND PICTURES! WE ALL LOVE PICTURES!

I just read somewhere on Point Buzz, Yeah I know, that Six Flags is having major problems with KK. It's so bad, they are asking Cedar Point for help.

Cedar Point has helped other parks from time to time. I remember Disney brought one of the river rafts from Grizzly River Run to Cedar Point's Thunder Canyon to test them out before DCA opened.

I doubt they'll help Six Flags though. They left Geauga Lake looking like crap. Had to put some major $$$$$$$$ into it.

Don't believe everything you hear. It has been running fine for the last 2 days at the commercial shoot. I managed to get in 52 rides 8)

Don't believe everything you hear. It has been running fine for the last 2 days at the commercial shoot. I managed to get in 52 rides 8)

Those wicked Point Buzz bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG Those pics have made my life complete. I can't wait untill next tuesday now. I know im going to have to bolt to the ride as soon as the gates open and wait for a good hour maybe couple of hours after that but I hope it's worth it. While I'm in line I'll make sure to get plenty of pics.

Somewhere in Vegas I can make a bet that YOU will not ride KK when you go. Sorry man, I'm all in, on you not riding it.

Well, based on my experience with TTD, I'd say a combination of luck and persistence will be required, whatever the improvements to the system that Intamin has made since Dragster. That's why I'm planning 2-3 days at the park. (That and because who wouldn't want to spend a few days in central Jersey?)

As GACoaster said, KK is Amazing. Went right to my #1. I got to ride 55.5 times over the last two days, and let me tell you, the front is the absolute best row to ride! Smooth and Insane! And for those of you that thought the brakes would kill the airtime? No way! Plenty of air on both the tophat and the hill!

And btw - Best ride of the day was my last. Front Row Rollback! It was the only one of the entire shoot! (besides testing)

Just got a call from our RideWorld correspondant at the media day...

Kingda Ka ran fine for about 2 hours, then it went down. Mechanics have been looking at the catch car in the launch area and haven't been able to get it back up and running. Hopefully they will have it back up later today.

He was able to get 5 rides on it though.