TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sonic and Mario together, in a game, finally.

Homer

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

SEGA AND NINTENDO JOIN FORCES FOR MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Legendary Icons Appear Together for the First Time in Video Game History

TOKYO (March 28, 2007) – SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co. Ltd. today made a historical announcement that two of the biggest icons in the entertainment industry, Mario™ and Sonic™, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed for the Wii™ video game system and the Nintendo DS™ system, this momentous agreement marks the first time these two renowned stars have appeared together in a game.

Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be available for Holiday 2007 and is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, players will compete in events that take place in environments based on the official venues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, gamers will be able to compete as or against a range of lovable personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver a favorite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, engage in exhilarating rallies in table tennis and churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after gold medal.

“We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title,” said Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation. “For the first time, two of the world’s greatest games’ characters come together to compete in the world’s greatest sporting event and we couldn’t be more excited.”

“Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games,” says Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.. “In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?”

“The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion,” said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM. “Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations.”

For further information on this title please visit www.sega-press.com for Europe and the SEGA FTP for America at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.

For the love of god, please let this be the sign of Sonic in Smash Bros. Brawl!

But other than that, nice to see them together in a game. Unfortunately, I have a prediction this game would stink a little bit because its some cop out for the Olympics. Much like how Cheetah Chase is a mediocre family credit (for those of you who don't know, when the ride was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, in its first season of operation it was called Wild Izzy, after the mascot of the 1996 Atlanta Summer Games).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Nintendo will handle most of the development and not the Sonic Team (they haven't made a good game in who knows how long). As for Sonic being in Brawl, there are still no official plans. In a recent interview with IGN the president of Nintendo of Europe said, "That's not on the cards at the moment."

Hopefully Nintendo will handle most of the development and not the Sonic Team (they haven't made a good game in who knows how long). As for Sonic being in Brawl, there are still no official plans. In a recent interview with IGN the president of Nintendo of Europe said, "That's not on the cards at the moment."

I'd like to see the same Sega development company who made Decathalete and Winter Heat on Saturn make this game since I think those are the 2 best Olympic type games I have played.

For the people that said Sonic Team hasn't made a good game in a long time need to go buy Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Secret Rings is a step in the right direction but it's still very flawed. Hopefully it marks a turning point for Sonic Team because I'd really like to see Sonic get closer to his 2D glory days. If we see more games like Sonic Rush I'll be very happy. In a recent interview Sega of America president Simon Jeffery said, "We are actually undergoing a fairly considerable refresh of Sonic as an intellectual property, as a character. Sonic on the Wii is probably the first product that's come to market that reflects that. We're not going to be bringing another game out on the other platforms for quite some time, because we feel that it is time to reinvent Sonic, to make Sonic contemporary again." I think he's on the right track. Hopefully a couple of years down the line we'll see Sonic come back in a big way.

For the people that said Sonic Team hasn't made a good game in a long time need to go buy Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Secret Rings is a step in the right direction but it's still very flawed. Hopefully it marks a turning point for Sonic Team because I'd really like to see Sonic get closer to his 2D glory days. If we see more games like Sonic Rush I'll be very happy. In a recent interview Sega of America president Simon Jeffery said, "We are actually undergoing a fairly considerable refresh of Sonic as an intellectual property, as a character. Sonic on the Wii is probably the first product that's come to market that reflects that. We're not going to be bringing another game out on the other platforms for quite some time, because we feel that it is time to reinvent Sonic, to make Sonic contemporary again." I think he's on the right track. Hopefully a couple of years down the line we'll see Sonic come back in a big way.

I disagree, I adore that game, flaws, bah.