TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Xbox360 Elite package?

Imhotep

I went into EB this weekend to pay off my Guitar Hero II preorder, and one of the guys asked if I would like to put a reserve on anything else. I asked him what was coming out. After naming off a few games, he mentioned that the Elite 360 was coming out and I could put a reserve down on it. As far as I know, the Zephyr hasn't been confirmed by Microsoft, he says the SKU was in their computer and they were allowed to take preorders and discuss trade in towards the box (he told me I could trade my current 360 in for $180 credit, but around the release there will be deals to get more out of your trade).

I didn't do it because I didnt want to get burned, it not being officially announced and all. I was just very shocked to hear all this. Either that or I missed the official announcement.

For those that don't know, it has a 120gb hard drive, HDMI capabilities, a quieter disk drive and a redesigned processor that is supposed to put off alot less heat. Its also black, but I would honestly rather have it in white since of course all the accessories are white. I have been wanting it since I first heard the rumors, since I dont want a PS3 but I want to game and watch HD-DVDs in 1080p.

Anyways, is anyone else looking forward to the Zephyr/Elite 360?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's pretty much confirmed.

I was browsing Engadget, and I found some photos of the 360 Elites in production. I don't know if it's against the rules to say so, but I won't put in a link, but you can look for yourself.

They'll be black, have a 120 GB HDD, etc. I, however will keep my white, Premium 360, thanks!

-Mike

GMAN, Ive been following this release closely and waiting for an announcement for months lol. I would have to agree with you that I think its pretty much confirmed, however Microsoft hasn't officially announced anything so its really hard to say that those pics on Engaget are anything more than one of several different prototypes.. The pics of the black system could be photoshopped. There are pics of the packaging that are obviously fakes. Its still really speculation until its announced.

Hopefully there will be an official announcement soon. Microsoft has said that if the demand was great enough they would address adding HDMI, so the Zephyr would be a smart move for them.

As for the black, honestly its kind of cool, but I would rather have white because of all the accessories. Im thinking it would look stupid sitting there next to a white HD-DVD drive and white controllers. I guess they are saying the black is just a limited edition thing, so I will wait until they release the white case version.

^ Im not sure if it will support HDMI 1.3.. I would assume yes since the PS3 does. It will definately do 1080p over HDMI. The 360 can currently do 1080p over component if you have a TV capable of doing so (which most can't).

As far as the harddrive, it will be 120g. As far as I know, you have to use the proprietary harddrives for the 360 unlike the PS3.

I just came across a pic of the article that will appear in Game Informer next month. Its got a pic of the black box and it says "The rumors are all coming true" , then basically explains the HDMI and the hard drive. Still, no confirmation from MS.

Could this be just one huge April Fools joke??

Wistron, the Taiwanese device manufacturer currently producing Xbox 360 units for Microsoft, is likely to halt production of the console during 2008, according to a report in the Economic Daily News.

The company is likely to discontinue manufacturing of the console due to the decline in profits and because Microsoft has partnered with rival manufacturer Celistica, reports DigiTimes.

Production of the Xbox 360 currently accounts for around 10 per cent of Wistron's business and it is thought halting production will not have any serious impact on the company.

Wistron is expected to record revenues of TWD 280 billion (EUR 6.34 billion) in 2007.

As well as Wistron and Celistica, Singapore-based Flextronics also manufactures the Xbox 360 for Microsoft.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

Link: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23818

Priced at $479 and due for release April 29

Microsoft has unveiled a new model Xbox 360 for the US market, dubbed Xbox Elite and due to go on sale April 29.

The new model comes in a black finish, as will the controller and other peripherals, and features a new 120GB hard-drive, as well as a HDMI port and bundled HDMI cable.

The console will retail in North America for USD 479 (EUR 358 / GBP 243), with the hard-drive available at a stand alone price of USD 179 (EUR 134 / GBP 91).

The separate hard-drive will also come with a data transfer cable allowing users to copy game saves, marketplace downloads and other content from the smaller 20GB drive.

"Today's games and entertainment enthusiast has a insatiable appetite for digital high-definition content," commented Peter Moore, corporate vice president for Microsoft Xbox.

"Xbox 360 Elite's larger drive and premium accessories will allow our community to enjoy all that the next-generation of entertainment has to offer," he added.

Also included in the USD 479 package is a black Xbox Live headset, component/SD cable and a one month subscription to Xbox Live Gold.

No details of the Xbox Elite have yet been announced for other regions.

More images of the Xbox Elite can bee seen on our sister site Eurogamer.net

I will be saving £100 a week so I can buy either a 360 or PS3 or even both in a few months time.

I have been buying the playstation brand since 1994 when PS1 arrived in the UK, I paid £300 for the system.

I am biased towards Sony but if anyone thinks the 360 is worth getting then let me know. The only games I want to play on 360 are "Dead Rising" and "DOA4".

I honestly was a loyal PS3 consumer up until the PS3 launch. Its not that I dislike Sony, I just saw the potential in the 360, and came to the realization that it would probably be a year after launch before I really see any good games be released. I did alot of reading and found that the multi-platform games looked just as good on the 360 and in most instances, ran better. I made the decision that the PS3 still had to improve before I made my investment.

I think there are quite a few great games for the 360. My recommendations would be:

Exlusives

-Dead Rising which you are already interested in

-Gears of War

-Guitar Hero II, which will have a plethora of downloadable content

-Crackdown, a pretty decent mix of City of Heroes and the GTA games, oddly enough!

-Lost Planet

Im sure there are other good exclusives , those are just my recommendations.

Alot of the games I like are crossplatform.. But if hey, if it looks just as good on the 360, why pay the extra money? Might as well wait for either the price of the PS3 to drop, or for more Sony exclusives.

I honestly was a loyal PS3 consumer up until the PS3 launch. Its not that I dislike Sony, I just saw the potential in the 360, and came to the realization that it would probably be a year after launch before I really see any good games be released. I did alot of reading and found that the multi-platform games looked just as good on the 360 and in most instances, ran better. I made the decision that the PS3 still had to improve before I made my investment.

I think there are quite a few great games for the 360. My recommendations would be:

Exlusives

-Dead Rising which you are already interested in

-Gears of War

-Guitar Hero II, which will have a plethora of downloadable content

-Crackdown, a pretty decent mix of City of Heroes and the GTA games, oddly enough!

-Lost Planet

Im sure there are other good exclusives , those are just my recommendations.

Alot of the games I like are crossplatform.. But if hey, if it looks just as good on the 360, why pay the extra money? Might as well wait for either the price of the PS3 to drop, or for more Sony exclusives.

Dont forget, DOA4 is also exlcusive...as will be Halo 3 & Forza 2 (when they surface)

Also, 'more Sony exclusives' makes me laugh. Sony is having a hard enough time keeping the ones they have, let alone getting some more.

When I talked to the guys at EB on sunday, they said $180 for trade in. I imagine it would be the same at gamestop.

Im going to head to EB on my lunch break, which is about 45 min from now. Im going to ask alot of questions, Ill post on here how much they say the trade in will be now that the console is officially announced.

^ No more than $200 I bet and wouldn't even be surprised if the give you less than that! I have to say that the Blacked out 360 Looks awesome, but trading in my 360 just to receive some garbage trade amount to get the 360 Elite is ridiculous you'd be better off selling it on E-Bay. Furthermore, i'm not really liking the price tag...even if it is only $179 more.

I have been buying the playstation brand since 1994 when PS1 arrived in the UK, I paid £300 for the system.

I am biased towards Sony but if anyone thinks the 360 is worth getting then let me know. The only games I want to play on 360 are "Dead Rising" and "DOA4".

Never Really cared for playstion, only bought PS2 because of Guitar Hero...but now that I have a pre-order for the 360 Version, I gave the PS2 away to some kid in EB last week...X-box & 360 have a better variety of games imo...

Just got back from EB games.. $190 trade in on the console, $30 for the harddrive.

Probably better off selling on craigslist or something.

They currently aren't taking preorders either.

Thanks for the info. Used systems are going for about that on eBay. I'm thinking of maybe just picking up the new HDD and putting money toward a nice HDTV.

Honestly, thats the best idea. Unless you have a 1080p TV, there is really no use in going through the hassle of selling/trading in your 360 for the new one otherwise.

I left this out earlier, but the guy at EB stated there are already people trading in their 360s (I dont know how true that is honestly, I didnt see any used ones sitting for sale) so they are expecting the overall value to drop by the time the Elite comes out.

Honestly, thats the best idea. Unless you have a 1080p TV, there is really no use in going through the hassle of selling/trading in your 360 for the new one otherwise.

I left this out earlier, but the guy at EB stated there are already people trading in their 360s (I dont know how true that is honestly, I didnt see any used ones sitting for sale) so they are expecting the overall value to drop by the time the Elite comes out.

I think you're right about the value of the regular model going down. Maybe we'll see a price drop on the two current SKUs (which would definitely increase sales).

Erm, forgive me for being blunt, but since when did a hardcore gamer need all that space? I can see a PC Gamer needing it, but a console gamer? Not as much. I am not trading mine in. This is kind of an insult to people who just got a 360 or during the holidays. It would've been better to think of this before the holidays so that people wouldn't buy a Premium/Core then only a month later go through the trouble of trading it in for the Elite.

Its like getting a top-of-the-line computer then having a better model comeout as you're leaving the store.

Unless you plan on watching a bunch of movies that you either are playing on your HD-DVD drive or downloaded from Live, there is absolutely no reason for this.

Most games on the Xbox 360 are designed in 720p. Even if you have you Xbox to display 1080p, its still only going to be 720p, or possibly 1080i if designed to do that, because thats just he way the game is. The Xbox 360 doesn't have the power to render games at 1080p without a large loss in geometry in the games.

As for the HDD, its for downloading music, movies and watching IPTV.

If you already have an Xbox 360 and a Tivo, just forget about it.

Erm, forgive me for being blunt, but since when did a hardcore gamer need all that space? I can see a PC Gamer needing it, but a console gamer? Not as much. I am not trading mine in. This is kind of an insult to people who just got a 360 or during the holidays. It would've been better to think of this before the holidays so that people wouldn't buy a Premium/Core then only a month later go through the trouble of trading it in for the Elite.

Its like getting a top-of-the-line computer then having a better model comeout as you're leaving the store.

I think the HDD upgrade is really a preparation for the release of the IPTV service this fall.