TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Marathon riding?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to marathon as much as I can,though I still haven't gone for any in the double digits YET.

Some various memories:

-At some of my first events at Great Adv.(back around 1999/2000) the park had a rule that each coaster had to have at least 2 riders to dispatch.Since Medusa was still new everyone was there,and I had to pull my mini-marathons of GASM,Viper,and Chiller(with OTSRs!)with one of the ride ops!

-A few years later at another event Great Adv. dropped the 2-rider rule and I got to ride Rolling Thunder about 5/6 by myself;it was pretty freaky having nighttime ERT with literally no-one else on the ride .

-Since SFA is my home park I can go whenever I can/want,and have gotten several marathons of various lengths over the years,my favorite being back in 2004 when I got about 7 rides on Roar.

-Another memorable marathon was during a rare ERT at Conneaut Lake back in 2011.I managed about 4 rides on the Blue Streak that time;what was so memoarable is that that ride still uses the old "handbrake" to stop it-and since it was an after hours ERT they kept it off and the train just cruised thru the station!!

At Adventuredome last year when El Loco just opened. It was a slow day there so I did a "El Loco/Canyon Blaster" loop maybe 5 or 6 times in a row and about 10 times total in 2 hours or so. By the 6th time in a row it started feeling like a chore. But it was super fun.

At Adventuredome last year when El Loco just opened. It was a slow day there so I did a "El Loco/Canyon Blaster" loop maybe 5 or 6 times in a row and about 10 times total in 2 hours or so. By the 6th time in a row it started feeling like a chore. But it was super fun.

so, they didn't let you do back to back rides on one ride? they wouldn't let me last year and i did the figure 8 over and over. did 10 on each to feel like i got my money's worth. but left with a bruise from canyon blaster. lol

• 3 months later...

45 times on Ravine Flyer II on a Saturday in June, 2014. It took about 8 hours. The ride ops got to know me and even made an announcement. About 9:30 my body started telling me it had had enough (even though there was some more ERT available.) Someone said Waldameer doesn't really get crowded until after July 4, and that was certainly the case that day.

31 times on Voyage. I did this 3 different times.

31 times on American Thunder.

31 times on Prowler.

We rode Nitro for an hour and a half without getting off with Boldikus on January 3rd in sub-freezing temps. That has to be my favorite marathon session ever.

Definitely one of my favorites, what a way to close out the season. Kind of crazy to think back about it now that its 80 degrees lol.

I've had a few epic marathon sessions, including one at SFOG last weekend. Sometimes I just find a ride I love if its quiet I'll get as many rides as possible, including playing musical chairs around the train.

The best marathons that I have ever had have been at Funtown USA. In a few of my visits during the week at the end of August/early September, the park is a ghost town since all of the kids in Maine have gone back to school. I believe I rode Excalibur for 2-2.5 hours straight one time without getting off. A few of those rides were with just me in the train.

While a short Marathon, I got three straight rides in a row on Boulder Dash last Halloween at the end of the night. Any seat on that ride is legendary once the sun goes down.

At some of my first events at Great Adv.(back around 1999/2000) the park had a rule that each coaster had to have at least 2 riders to dispatch.Since Medusa was still new everyone was there,and I had to pull my mini-marathons of GASM,Viper,and Chiller(with OTSRs!)with one of the ride ops!

You're a real trooper. How did your head feel after marathoning Viper?

At some of my first events at Great Adv.(back around 1999/2000) the park had a rule that each coaster had to have at least 2 riders to dispatch.Since Medusa was still new everyone was there,and I had to pull my mini-marathons of GASM,Viper,and Chiller(with OTSRs!)with one of the ride ops!

You're a real trooper. How did your head feel after marathoning Viper?

Believe it or not it wasn't too bad-Viper was still sort-of new then and IMO the headbanging qualities on that ride were just appearing.

If you live by Wisconsin Dells try Timber Falls Adventure Park and ride Hellcat for unlimited rides for $29.99 according to their website.

In 2014 I sent them an e-mail requesting to be allowed to ride more than what at the time was ( 5 ) times for a bracelet. They charged us only $19.99 and we rode it ( 30 ) times. After that our bodies hurt too much because it is a very intense (ie. rough, but fun!) roller coaster. There was no wait and at the end of the night they were running full ( 12 ) people trains. It was sweet. On the top of the lifthill you get a great view to your left of Wisconsin Dells downtown.

Did Zippin Pippin 18 times in a day.

I did 30 hours on the Great Amercan Scream Machine in 2003. I seem to think it was 367 laps for that 30 hours or 238 miles.

I also did 30 hours on the Screamin' Eagle this past July. I think my lap total was close to 380 or so. I lost count due to the few hours that I was taken a nap on the ride.

Sleeping on a roller coaster. THUG LIFE.