TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney Meal Plan

So, my family has made the grand decision to take the trip of a lifetime to Disney World. So my mom calls the travel agent and she said they have a meal plan. I was wondering if any of you have used the meal plan before? If so is it a good decision, do you get enough food, and are there many places you can get food on this plan? We are going for about 6 days and my mom said it comes with this package.... I'm kinda skeptical about the whole meal plan though..... Any one know?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done the meal plan before, but if you are intending to be at Disney and eat there for the entire stay, I think it will be really easy and a fair price to do the meal plan. I know a few coworkers of mine have recently gone and done it with the meal plan, as did a friend on his honeymoon, and you can pretty much pick anything you want on the menu, and you'll definitely leave satisfied. If the next time I was going to WDW, I intended to be there for several days, and eat there each day, the meal plan would most likely be the way I'd go.

My family just did it last summer. It is an amazing deal if you make reservations at the nice restaurants. If all you are going to do is run around and eat fast to ride more it is not what you want. My parents saved about 150 dollars per person doing the plan.

I also used the meal plan last summer at WDW. It is a great deal, but you have to make your reservations way ahead of time if you want to eat at the nice resteraunts (Sci-Fi Diner, etc.). The first night we were there, our dinner bill totalled around $500 (Cinderella's Royal Table), and all we had to do was hand them our room key and the meal was paid. Here's what you get:

1 Snack (Stand, cart, food place, etc.)

1 Counter service

-Drink

-Entree

-Dessert

1 Table Service

-Drink

-Appetizer

-Entree

-Dessert

Overall, my family thought this service was very helpful. I recommend that you do this.

---Brent

We've used the meal plan pretty much every time we visit since they've inducted it. If your family likes to eat, then it's a good idea. If it's a trip of a lifetime, it's probably an even better idea because you can fully experience the sit down restaurants. You're not going to run out of food, if that's what you are worried about. As a matter of fact, we've have had problem in the past of actually using all of snack credits. It may seem expensive, but we looked at our bills, tallied everything up and we found we actually saved money. I know, saving money at Disney, impossible right? Well, the program was still in its infancy so they'll get rid of the saving money part eventually. So far, it's a very good deal and I highly recommend it.

There are lots of good places to eat in Disney World. Among my favorites are:

Epcot:

Germany Biergarten- German buffet

Japan Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki- Japanese habatchi style

Canada Le Cellier- steakhouse

Mexico San Angel Inn- Mexican food

France Chefs de France- French cuisine

Disney MGM Studios:

Mama Melroses- Italian

Sci Fi Dine Inn

Downtown Disney:

Portobello Yacht Club- Italian

Fulton's Crabhouse- Seafood

Wolfgang Pucks

Rainforest Cafe

Hotels:

Contemporary- California Grill- Ritzy steakhouse

Animal Kingdom Lodge- Boma- African buffet

Wilderness Lodge- Artist's Point- fancy wild game and such

Grand Floridian- Narcoosee's- seafood

Polynesian- Ohana- meat on a stick all you can eat

Boardwalk- Big River Brewing- brewpub

Spoodles- Mediterranean food

As you can see, there's lots of places to choose from. As others have said, try to book as early as possible, especially at Thanksgiving time.

As far as a traditional Thanksgiving meal, I'm not sure if you'll be able to find one there at Disney, but your best options are probably either Liberty Tree Tavern or the Crystal Palace, both at the Magic Kingdom. Otherwise I'd go for something like Ohana or Artist's Point.

Also keep in mind that some of the fancier restaurants will require 2 vouchers per person instead of one. As long as you don't go to these places and just order mac and cheese or a hamburger, you should get your money's worth.

You might also check out www.disboards.com for some tips on the meal plan. Most of what I have heard is positive, but I have read a few reviews that outline the best way to get your money's worth with the plan. Also, there are some reviews of Thanksgiving and other holiday dining options. You'll want to book as far in advance as possible.

Have fun!

Sounds like you have already decided to do the meal plan, but I will give my two cents worth anyway.....

We (my eight year old and I) were fortunate enough last summer to get this program for FREE on our August trip. As far as I am concerned, it was one of the greatest promotions Disney could do, as I will definitely buy the plan on all future trips and have advised many other to do the same.

I personally do not eat a TON when I am there, and my little one is a very light and picky eater. We got plenty of mileage out of the plan, and often I found myself turning away food (like desserts) because I simply did not want to waste it. I definitely agree that you should read up as much as you can in advance (AllEars, DisBoards, Birnbaum's guide and Disney's website all give loads of details and advice) and, of course, make your priority seating reservations!!

Shari

I did it a few weeks ago as a cast member and it was awesome. Again, plan ahead of where you want to eat and make the reservation asap. I think you can now make them 180 days in advance.

We ate dinner at Alfredo's in Italy and our bill was about $120. A great deal since we paid a lot less than that. And we had a counter service meal as well during the day that would have set us back $25.

Also, you can use the Meal Plan from the day you check in up to and including the day you check out. I would suggest saving a quick service meal for breakfast on the day you leave.

There is a full brochure available online at the Disney site, and they also give you one when you check in. Best to do your research before you arrive.

I don't have any experience with the meal plan since I'm a Cast Member, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I usually hear some people don't end up using all of their meals, just make sure you do. And definitely make reservations in advance for the sitdown restaurants.

For a Thanksgiving meal, I'd suggest Liberty Tree Tavern. It is one of my favorite places to eat at in general. They serve steak, turkey, ham, mac-n-cheese, salad, bread, mashed taters, gravy, and apple pie for dessert. Its SO good. Plus, Minnie, Goofy, Chip, Dale, and Pluto will stop by to visit. I also enjoy working there because its not too busy compared to other restaurants and I get to have fun with the guests.

Have a fun vacation!

Do it! Its awesome. I went down last December with my parents. And we ate at Chefs De France, the bill came to like $400, not including wine. wich is fine, but we saved soooo much by having the meal plan. Its the best deal you will find. Gives you more money for other things.

And like everyone else is saying. Make a reservation ahead of time. For any sit down resteraunt! we didn't get into one of the resteraunts we wanted to get into. So we just used the quick service for dinner. It worked out good becuase then we got to do to the 5 Star (can't remember the name Disney uses for the type of resteraunt, Correct me please) Brown Durby, wich uses 2 "Sit Down" dinner points.

So i would totaly go with the meal plan on your next disney visit!

I also want to point out the Freedom and Flexibility you have with the Meal Plan. As Brent pointed out you have...

1 Snack (Stand, cart, food place, etc.)

1 Counter service

-Drink

-Entree

-Dessert

1 Table Service

-Drink

-Appetizer

-Entree

-Dessert

... Per Day. Per Person. as my family found out. You don't have to use all 3 in one day. My Dad and i spent a day at Busch Gardens. There is a whole day's meal plan not used. Thats fine! You can use as meny Snack you want in a day. Our entire last day was just snack stuff. Becuase we didn't use the alot of our snacks during the week.

I also want to tell you to keep track of your Usage, for all the people going with you. It worked really well for us, becuase we didn't have to worry about running out on the last day.

Hope all this helps. if you have any more questions. Feel free to ask.

---Android---

I was also fortunate enough to get the meal plan included in my disney vacation in September 2006.

It is a great bargain which allows you to sample some of the better offerings at the parks and hotels.

My 2 cents would be to stay away from the restaurants which require 2 sit-down credits for 1 meal. These "signature" restaurants were marginally better than the rest. If you want to eat at these select locations, it may pay off to just simply pay for a particular meal.