TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Designing Job.

benzo41190

I way to move my job from a coaster op the a coaster desinger for like S&S or like a flat ride company. I have so many coaster games like No Limits, Coaster Factory, RCT(1,2,3), Utimate Ride, Sim Coaster, Scream Machines, And some water park game. I have a 3-subject notebook full of coasters and flat ride designs. I am working on scanning them and making them into no-limits but I am very busy with school and work and applying for colleges so I have no time for anything.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you both seem to have a chance since you suck at English! (Most engineers have no concept of the English language!) I remember this awesome course at school called something like "English for Engineers"!

Elissa "it can happen if you want it to!" Alvey

I suck at school, I am surprised that I even got a swimming scholarship because my finall GPA is 2.2. At least I am average. I really want to go to a tech scholl for engineering. I you go to the S&S main page the only thing they are looking for is Electronic background, able to work in heights, and math skills. You can apply online.

Thanks for the disapointment, I really thought I would be able to to this feild but it will never happen thanks to you. You put me down I guess I will be a poor person sitting on a street living off of cans and bottles

GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have any of those things you say, but i do have ONE very good coaster desighn i have been working on for 2 years and using math me and my friends calculated the speed, G's, ride time, and if it could ever work. its a flying coaster called falcon and thats all im going to say because it has a new element in it we desighned. we call it the "attack dive" and its 100% possible.

Also, I know that most of these 'coaster designer' jobs come only with engineering experience. Meaning, go get a real engineering job, then after a few years apply for a coaster job!

Elissa "I never had the desire to do coaster engineering, but I could do PR for the Coaster Companies!" Alvey

Well, I've been working in the desing department at Blackpool Pleasure Beach for work experiance and so I think I have a little experiance in the subject of wanted to get that job, seeing as I want it aswell.

What sort of ride design do you want to do? Rollercoaster or flat rides? I was speaking to someone who used ot work for Mack Rides in Germany and he said the best thing to do if you want to design coasters is to learn German so you can speka it fluantly. All the major coaster companys are based in Germany or in German speaking countrys such as Switzerland. Having German as your second language is very helpful because it lets you communicate with other works alot easier and all the calculations etc. are in German.

Secondly a degree in either Mechanical or Structral engineering is a must. This means you need to know alot of math and physics.

Also, it is who you know that gets you places. If you know say Werner Stengel or people within his company or any coaster company you are more likely to hear about job openings etc. alot faster.

If you want to get into the design of themes for rides I suggest being good at art and using digital imaging programmes. Also, don't be afriad to start at the bottom and work your way up. If you prove yourself at the bottom of the ladder and work hard at it you will climb to the top.

I hope this helps. I know it has helped me and I wish you luck in the future. The coaster and ride industry is a very large one however job's in it are vary rare and are easily snaped up however if you work ast it and want to really bad you will get there. But remember, it isn't all riding rides all day. There is alot of hard work behind it.

wow, are u guys saying u really design coasters?

calculate the g's and speed? that sounds pretty neet..

i designed few coasters for rct2.. but i didnt use the calculating stuff

i guess this is really hard.. and all i can say is gl to all who want to be a proffesional coaster engineer.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, you both seem to have a chance since you suck at English! (Most engineers have no concept of the English language!) I remember this awesome course at school called something like "English for Engineers"!

Elissa "it can happen if you want it to!" Alvey

Hey! I are a engineer and i talk perfectly good

Anyway, I'm not quite sure why everyone has been talking about engineering, which by the way, unless you have some desire to chop 20 years off your life, don't do it . benzo said he's interested in design, which is typically separate from other phases of R&D. From my experience, typical product cycles are like this:

1). Design - the original vision [benzo goes here]

2). Feasability - this is where engineers come in and rip the design into 5% of what it used to be...lazy bastards

3). Implementation - creation of the final product...design team gets even more pissed

4). Testing - [blame engineers here]

5). Release - [get good lawyers here]

I would say anyone wanting to work purely with design is pretty sheltered from engineering (and vice-versa), but it may be difficult to find a job. You will essentially be pitching ideas that will cost millions to implement with no solid guarantee that there will be any returns. And as with all jobs that seem appealing at first, be aware of all the little things that show up to bite you in the ass.