TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moving to Florida!

Gas prices are kinda expensive these days, why not get something with better gas mileage? I remember looking at jeeps during my SUV phase... i looked at the MPG and walked out of the showrooom . Something with low maintenance and good gas mileage would be something great if you don't see driving all the time. Remember unless you've found a short cut out of disney, you may be stuck in a little I-4 traffic. And getting to those stores with cheaper prices is going to be a bit of a drive; if you're gonna get something that guzzles gas, you might as well shop close. Gas will be one of your bigger expenses, so you might put that into consideration when you're buying another car.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any suggestions offhand, but you can alwayw grab either a consumer reports at Barnes & Noble or car and driver; they may have the car guide still available.

Usually the toyotas or hondas have really good gas mileage, although I think once one of the companies (not sure which one) has had some reliability problems as of late. Maybe it's toyota, because my old Rav4 had problems keeping its body molding on and I had to keep taking it back to get fixed.

But a lot of companies do have a pretty comprehensive warranty and you may catch a rebate as well.

Usually the toyotas or hondas have really good gas mileage, although I think once one of the companies (not sure which one) has had some reliability problems as of late. Maybe it's toyota, because my old Rav4 had problems keeping its body molding on and I had to keep taking it back to get fixed.

OH OH OH So like a 2007 Neon Red Toyota Tundra? I love those trucks they are so preaty!

~Matthew

thrillrideseeker, I apolojize for the late reply here, but hopefully some of my information can be helpful.

First off your not moving to a bad state here... I mean theres alot of old people, and random mixes of everything, but you have alot of awesome theme parks and depending on where you move to the prices for rent and monthly charges AREN'T too bad...

However gas prices are high (but I assume in other states they're alot worse) close to I believe its around $2.70, or somewhere along there...

Milk is very expensive, around $3.69 for an OFFBRAND gallon, and if your into drinking the organic stuff, then its around $4.69-$5 a gallon. (which I would NEVER buy) If you ever need any questions on groceries, your talking to the right guy, I unfortinutely work in a grocery store doing grocery organizing and grocery stock.

-Justin (I hope your move down here turns out good, Good luck!)

thrillrideseeker, I apolojize for the late reply here, but hopefully some of my information can be helpful.

First off your not moving to a bad state here... I mean theres alot of old people, and random mixes of everything, but you have alot of awesome theme parks and depending on where you move to the prices for rent and monthly charges AREN'T too bad...

However gas prices are high (but I assume in other states they're alot worse) close to I believe its around $2.70, or somewhere along there...

Milk is very expensive, around $3.69 for an OFFBRAND gallon, and if your into drinking the organic stuff, then its around $4.69-$5 a gallon. (which I would NEVER buy) If you ever need any questions on groceries, your talking to the right guy, I unfortinutely work in a grocery store doing grocery organizing and grocery stock.

-Justin (I hope your move down here turns out good, Good luck!)

Hey! Thanks for the great information! I dont think I buy Organic milk so I am ok there, and the gas prices are not that bad! I CANT WAIT! ONLY 57 DAYS! (My flight leaves at 2:45pm May 27th) My first day of work is acutally May 28th! So I get to stay in the Disney All Star Movie Resort! What is that resort like?

~Matthew

Matt, Ive actually only been to two Disney Resorts in my entire life living here!

We have stayed at the Boardwalk Resort once with my aunt and sister, two uncles, and grandparents (which is an amazing resort with an amazing atmosphere might I add), and the Key West Resort which is also, very, nice. Its like a good getaway from the world, and the Key West Resorts are very personable like a little home, very cool... I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay though! Have Fun!

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Ok first of all I would like to say sorry for the double post. Second of all I have a new question. Ok how do you get rid of the feeling of being depressed? Like before I was excited and could not wait to leave, but now I am wondering if I should do this. I just dont want to leave all my friends and people I love. Plus I have to move to a new place where I know nobody, and I have to do it alone. Is moving to florida really whats best for me?

~Matthew

^ Only you can decide if it's best for you, but I personally didn't know anyone who regretted their decision to do their Disney internship. A lot of people didn't like their jobs (my deep water lifeguard roommate for one!) but everyone universally said that the rest of the experience more than made up for the crappy job location. Sure you will be leaving your friends and family for a little bit, but you will meet HUNDREDS of people while you're there, and they will all be in the same boat as you (everyone will be away from home, everyone will miss their families and significant others, eveyone will be tired from working so much, etc). And if you miss your family, they are always just a phone call away. Honestly, when I moved, I was having so much fun that I didn't even notice that my family and college friends weren't around!

And about the car...I didn't have a car, and I did just fine just using the Disney transportation to get around. Occasionally, we'd all jump in my friend John's Jeep and head for Walmart, but that was kind of rare. I also had tons of friends who lived in the area, so little trips to the mall or to a friends house were no big deal.

When my friend Nick did his second program, he took his car and said that he wished he hadn't. He said that he felt like everyone's taxi because everyone was constantly asking him to take them somewhere. And of course, no one ever pitched in for gas heh. So keep that in mind too...you *will* be used to shuttle people around town, that's a guarantee.

Good luck with whatever yo decide!

-Julie

Ok first of all I would like to say sorry for the double post. Second of all I have a new question. Ok how do you get rid of the feeling of being depressed? Like before I was excited and could not wait to leave, but now I am wondering if I should do this. I just dont want to leave all my friends and people I love. Plus I have to move to a new place where I know nobody, and I have to do it alone. Is moving to florida really whats best for me?

~Matthew

Only you can decide for sure, but look at it this way--ya gotta leave home sometime, and this will give you the chance to meet other folks from all over the world--all without leaving the U.S.

I did the internship TWICE and I've now transferred schools to stay down here. Do I love it? Sure DO! I wouldn't give up my Disney experience for the world. The people I met were fantastic. My jobs have been a joy and unique to anywhere else in the world.

Even if you do get some horrid job, the people is what makes the job, not the attraction itself. You could end up with the coolest job but work with the worse people ever. The people you meet at the Housing will be amazing as well.

Do it.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the positive feed back! I have decided to go, even though it is going to be hard on me I think it will be worth it. I was wondering though, those of you who have done this thing already what do I do if I want to stay? Like will I have to come all the way back home and re-apply?

~Matthew

Thrillriderseeker, if you want to extend your College Program for an entire year, there will be a chance for you to sign up to do it towards the end of your CP. You can also audition for Entertainment then if you should be interested.

I'm happy still being here. It took about two months for me to go from Seasonal at the end of my CP to part-time. In my department, they aren't looking for too many people currently so its getting difficult to get work. There are a lot of full and part timers on hold still waiting I heard.

I'm having the same "mixed feelings" about moving.(from Florida to California)

What I'm trying to do is look at what is best for me, and my family. I would see a Disney college program as an awesome opportunity, and deffinately take advantage of it! I'm sure the first month or two will be hard to adjust, but I think that's true with any big change.

Anyways, I hope closer to your move you will be happier about moving! IMO, you shouldn't move to another state if you have any regrets, *IF* you actually have a choice to move or not. Good Luck!

I'm happy still being here. It took about two months for me to go from Seasonal at the end of my CP to part-time. In my department, they aren't looking for too many people currently so its getting difficult to get work. There are a lot of full and part timers on hold still waiting I heard.

Two months... that's not too bad.

That's the only thing I've been concerned about is getting part time in my area. I worked in Adventureland/Liberty Square and that's really the only area that I want to go back to, but I do know that it is popular so I've been just a tad bit worried about the wait.

So did you get put on a wait list and just worked seasonal till there was an opening in part?