TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

And Ovechkin is dirty. Knee blow to Gonchar? Dirty. A lot of his hits are dirty they just aren't labled as such 'cause no one got hurt. But actually watch him hit people, he's dirty. He slahses guys behind the play, I've seen it all multiple times from him.

I am going to say this once, and once only:OVECHKIN IS WRECKLESS, NOT DIRTY! He would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever intentionally hurt someone. The only time his hits look dirty is when people turn out of the way because if they don't he will crush them with a huge, CLEAN hit. Compare the penalty minutes, Erskine has like 5x as many as Ovechkin becuase he is not dirty. Dirty is INTENTIONALLY trying to cause injury to someone, Ovechkin doesn't do that. And saying that Matt Cooke isn't dirty is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard in my whole entire life, and I am not kidding. HE KICKED CHRIS OSGOOD IN THE HEAD! He has been on a lot of teams but they have gotten rid of him because he is too dirty.

And if you think I am kidding about the kicking Osgood thing, look at this:

[youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEZm2kaIVE]

Dirty, dirty, dirty.

^ Ummmm...okay. I know you like Ovechkin and I'm not gonna say he isn't a great player, but he's definitely not a perfect angel. This "turn out of the way" meant that Briere had his back to him and if that players bench door would have opened two seconds earlier, Briere probably wouldn't still be playing hockey today. Very dangerous play resulting in a game misconduct for Ovechkin.

I remember being at a huge sports bar in Virginia not too far outside of DC in '06 when this play happened. I had my Sabres jersey on and was just going off, but yet no one else in the bar really cared at all because they were all too preoccupied watching college basketball (it wasn't Final Four). There was a total of three people watching the hockey game and we were all Sabres fans!

Seems as if they have gotten a lot more people on the Caps bandwagon since then...looks like a lot of Sabres fans in those stands.

You could also add Kevin Stevens, Gary Roberts, and (possibly) Milan Lucic, who is as close to those guys we're going to get these days. But guys like Roberts, Stevens and Neely racked up 35+ goals, 50 occasionally, were tough as nails, and wouldnt take s#!t from anyone.

Imawesome, dude I know you like Ovechkin, okay, LOVE number 8, but sometimes you just have to look at it from an unbiased perspective. I like him too, he's great at what he does, but he gets dirty at times.

Imawesome, dude I know you like Ovechkin, okay, LOVE number 8, but sometimes you just have to look at it from an unbiased perspective. I like him too, he's great at what he does, but he gets dirty at times.

I somewhat agree with you. At times he is borderline dirty. Keep in mind, Ovi is one of the strongest players in the leauge. Sometimes he goes in for the hit, and hits a little too hard, they fall down and get hurt. He never intends to hurt people. There is a difference between wreckless and dirty. Wreckless is not being careful with what you are doing, which can result in injury. Dirty is wanting to hurt other players. Do you really think Ovi would want to hurt people? Like I said, he is wreckless, but borderline dirty. The refs like to make Ovi seem like a dirty player to get everyone against him, so they blow things out of proportion and suspend him wrongfully, like the supposed "knee on knee" hit to Gleason. If anything Gleason should have been suspended, because Ovi was seriously hurt. Ovi didn't mean to hit him knee on knee, it was an accident. Did you really see Ovi stick his knee out?

I stand by saying that Ovi is wreckless, not dirty.

What a game by the Caps, we only got 13 shots but got 3 goals. Neuvy made some awesome saves and got a SHUTOUT! He now leads all rookie goaltenders in shutouts with 4. Not to mention Varly has 2 and Holtby has 1 and he's not even full-time. Holtby's just a call up from Hershey to sit in for injured Varly. The Caps have the best goaltending trio in the league right now, all of our goaltenders are under 25 and all have a shutout. We are now tied with Philly for the Eastern Conference lead.

Cooke just elbowed a guy in the head again. Whether it's intentional or not, he needs to play smarter.

Here's the vid:

This was definitely intentional. If the league really wants to stop these kinds of things, Cooke has to be gone for the season. He's done this before and it has to stop. If Mario is true to his word, he will throw him off the team.

Cooke just elbowed a guy in the head again. Whether it's intentional or not, he needs to play smarter.

Here's the vid:

This was definitely intentional. If the league really wants to stop these kinds of things, Cooke has to be gone for the season. He's done this before and it has to stop. If Mario is true to his word, he will throw him off the team.

He should be suspended a MINIMUM for the rest of the regular season, and he should not be able to come back for the playoffs. Matt Cooke is probably the dirtiest player in the league, he gets suspended, comes back and then does something to get suspended again. If he doesn't shape up he will be kicked out of the league.

Cooke suspended for rest of regular season and 1st round of the playoffs. More than I thought he would get but I still would have liked to see more.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359027

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke has been suspended for the rest of the regular season (10 games) and the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs for his elbow to the head of New York Rangers forward Ryan McDonagh.

The incident occurred less than five minutes into the third period of Sunday's Rangers-Penguins game, when Cooke went high and landed an elbow on McDonagh's jaw. McDonagh had his back turned to the Penguins forward, and was in the process of shooting the puck into the offensive zone. Cooke was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct.

Detroit Red Wings centre Henrik Zetterberg said earlier in the day that the Penguins' agitator should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, including the playoffs.

"I don't think he should play anymore this year," the Red Wings' captain told Yahoo! sports writer, Nick Cotsonika.

Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand, who just completed a two-game suspension for his elbow to the head of an opposing player, told ESPN that Cooke needs to be taught a lesson by the league.

"I think it's about time he gets [suspended]," Marchand said. "He needs to be taught a lesson. He's doing that stuff left, right and centre. I expect he'll get a bunch of games. He's got to be taught a lesson. He can't be running around doing that stuff all the time. He's going to seriously hurt someone again - look at (Marc Savard). He could have easily hurt McDonagh."

This is Cooke's fifth suspension - and his fourth involving a hit to the head or a hit from behind.

His most recent suspension was last month, when he was given a four-game sentence for a hit from behind on Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman Fedor Tyutin.

In November 2009, he was slapped with a two-game ban for a check to the head of Rangers' forward Artem Anisimov. A season before that in January, Cooke was served with another two-game suspension for a hit to the head of Scott Walker of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Cooke is perhaps best known for a hit that didn't garner any penalty or suspension. In March of last year, Cooke delivered an unsuspecting head shot to Bruins centre Marc Savard. Savard suffered a Grade 2 concussion on the hit and missed two months of the season.

Fourth time for a hit to the head and he gets suspended ten games and only the first round of the playoffs for a completely blatant and dangerous hit? Glad to see that the NHL is really cracking down on those cheap shots to the head.

On another note, what an epic choke job by the Sabres against the Predators last night. Up 3-1 with less then three minutes and we lose 4-3 26 seconds into overtime?? WTF!!

This is either going to motivate them to really pick up their game to cement a playoff spot, or send them into a downward spiral if they lose to Montreal tomorrow night. Should be interesting to see how they respond...

Fourth time for a hit to the head and he gets suspended ten games and only the first round of the playoffs for a completely blatant and dangerous hit? Glad to see that the NHL is really cracking down on those cheap shots to the head.

I also would have liked to see a stiffer suspension, but I think what they did give is a step in the right direction. I didn't think he would get any playoff games considering the other suspensions the NHL has given out seemed to be very lenient. Playoff games are obviously worth more than regular season so I figure if this happened earlier in the season he might have gotten 20 games. I probably would have given him the entire playoffs off and maybe some games at the beginning of next season depending on how far the pens go this year, but hopefully this is enough to get the message across.

Pittsburgh and Detroit put on quite a game last night, Detroit was down 4-0 until the third when they caught to bring an overtime and eventually a shootout. One of the best comebacks I've seen in a while. Even through I'm a red wings fan Pittsburgh had a good win yesterday.

A couple years ago, in the regular season, we played the Wings in October. Detroit was up 5 or 6 to 2 on us in the third before we rallied, scoring 2 goals in the final minute then another in OT to win it. Best game I've ever seen. Watching last night, I was worried that we'd have the same done to us. Great game, either way.

Great way for the Sabres to bounce back by shutting out Montreal last night after the epic fail against Nashville the other night. We need to keep that lead on the Canes & not let the Rangers get too far ahead of us!