TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Yes. In fact, I've been nominating Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa, and Florida for that role years now. I'd even go a step further and give Hartford the Whalers back, and let Minnesota have the North Stars back as well. The "Wild" remains the WORST name of any of the "Big 4" professional sports teams.

Finally, Barry Melrose is awesome. Period.

I'll have to respectfully disagree on those two teams. Carolina and Dallas have built pretty good franchises and have won Stanley Cups since moving from their original cities. Even Tampa somehow managed a Stanley Cup, although that team is atrocious nowadays. I agree on the Wild being a pretty horrifically awful nickname for a franchise, only slightly above the Oklahoma City Thunder as the worst nickname in pro sports.

The relocated teams winning cups really has nothing to do with them moving markets. What I think he was getting at was that even Hartford would be a better market for hockey again over places like Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, or Phoenix.

I also wouldn't say Bettman isn't the reason hockey isn't back in Canada, it's more of the cities being the reason. NHL expects the cities to have better updated arenas before teams can go back. I guarantee that as soon as Quebec City's new arena is built the Nordiques will be back.

Winnipeg is the only one with a new arena...problem is it only seats 15,000. Copps Coliseum in Hamilton is borderline ancient, as is Colisee Pepsi in QC.

I'm a little sad that the Pens lost just because I wanted the Flyers to have a shot at Cindy Crosby.

classy, typical Philly fan. Gonna throw batteries next?

Hey thanks for lumping me into a small group of idiots that make good fans look bad, appreciate it. Pittsburgh is a big rival of Philly so I changed their star playes name. Its trash talking. Not to mention just about anytime someone makes contact he is looking for a penalty, but when he gets a chance he'll cross check someone who's trying to get back up (Sens series game 3 or 4), or face washing the heck out of someone after a play (Habs series game 2 I believe), and not getting a penalty called on him. Anyone else would have been in the box.

I'm a little sad that the Pens lost just because I wanted the Flyers to have a shot at Cindy Crosby.

classy, typical Philly fan. Gonna throw batteries next?

Hey thanks for lumping me into a small group of idiots that make good fans look bad, appreciate it. Pittsburgh is a big rival of Philly so I changed their star playes name. Its trash talking. Not to mention just about anytime someone makes contact she is looking for a penalty, but when she gets a chance she'll cross check someone who's trying to get back up (Sens series game 3 or 4), or face washing the heck out of someone after a play (Habs series game 2 I believe), and not getting a penalty called on her. Anyone else would have been in the box.

Fixed.

As a girl who is originally from the Pittsburgh area and has played ice hockey for 25 years, let me assure you that I realize that there is a rivalry between the Flyers and the Penguins. That said, let me also tell you that the majority of hockey players will dive if they think they can draw a penalty, and can be a bit dirty when the refs aren't paying attention.

Lastly, the name "Sidney" is in itself a more popular name for girls than for boys. So there's really no reason to alter it because you are jealous that the Penguins have one of the most talented players in the league. You can go ahead and giggle to yourself that he has a girls name, and you can even make jokes about using the women's tee at the golf course right now. That would be clever trash talking. What you did was just lazy.

That said, let me also tell you that the majority of hockey players will dive if they think they can draw a penalty, and can be a bit dirty when the refs aren't paying attention.

And such a dive is nothing compared to the dive the entire Bruins team just took

Jeff Carter skated today. They say he more than likely won't be back for the conference finals, but may be back for the cup finals. This is excellent news. Ian Laperriere may be back for this series. Things are starting to look better and better for the Flyers.

Cindy.

Jeff Carter skated today. They say he more than likely won't be back for the conference finals, but may be back for the cup finals. This is excellent news. Ian Laperriere may be back for this series. Things are starting to look better and better for the Flyers.

Cindy.

They better not be rushing him back. I'd love to have him if we make it that far, but not at the expense of hurting his long term future.

Cindy.

They better not be rushing him back. I'd love to have him if we make it that far, but not at the expense of hurting his long term future.

I really don't think they'll rush him back. The team is playing very well together as is. If they do advance, they will need a little extra scoring ability out there against either San Jose or Chicago.

Defending champions losing to the #8 seed is somehow not the biggest choke job of these playoffs. For this I have the Bruins and Capitals to thank.

You forgot about my Buffalo Sabres who had the 3rd seed and choked to the Bruins in the 1st round...if anyone knows anything about choking, it's Buffalo and not Pittsburgh or Boston!

And don't even get me started on those damned Buffailo Bills...

You forgot about my Buffalo Sabres who had the 3rd seed and choked to the Bruins in the 1st round...if anyone knows anything about choking, it's Buffalo and not Pittsburgh or Boston!

And don't even get me started on those damned Buffailo Bills...

I have a close friend who is a Sabres fan and I told him to look at it this way.

The Sabres provided the opportunity for the Bruins to make choking hall of fame history. Honestly, this ranks up there with 18-1* as two of the most hilarious sports occurrences of the last decade, and to have Boston fans be the object of ridicule for both of them...well, that warms the cockles of my heart.

And Lindy Ruff made it possible!

edit: And as for the Bills...well, condolences.

Not to mention just about anytime someone makes contact he is looking for a penalty, but when he gets a chance he'll cross check someone who's trying to get back up (Sens series game 3 or 4), or face washing the heck out of someone after a play (Habs series game 2 I believe), and not getting a penalty called on him. Anyone else would have been in the box.

Those arguments are really getting old. Have you not watched the past few seasons, especially when he LED his team to a SC? I'm sorry he's being a little physical, trying to defend himself, it's called hockey. But what am I saying, under coach Stevens, the Flyers would throw hissy fits all the time, so you already know all about that. I think it's time to get out of 2005 and move on.

^ As much as I can't stand Crosby, he has my respect. He really has grown up over the years. Leading a team to a Cup and a Gold Medal isn't an accident. Sure, he still has his "moments" but honestly, very few players don't have that anymore.

The being said, Go Flyers!! Show 'em how its done in Canada!