TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

^Are you sure this was from a Toronto Maple Leafs' fan? Haha.

That guy is definitely pro-Crosby. I love Crosby too, but I also think Ovechkin is as good as he's advertised. Maybe they're a victim of bad luck or something. Anyway, I don't really like to take sides because I love hockey in general and I love the competition or it would be boring. This Montreal series should definitely be intense because I know the Canadiens are tough mothers..

Crosby is known for whining when it really matters.

Fixed that for you.

Kidding aside, great game tonight. Haven't been able to watch much hockey at college (in Florida, no less) so this was a good one to return to the game with! Personally I'm hoping for a Habs win just so my friend doesn't call all depressed.

I'm proud of him for getting us the gold in the Olympics, but that was Olympic hockey...this is NHL hockey. As soon as he puts on that Pens jersey and takes my teams out, it's a different story.

At game 4 of round one, I saw one fan wearing a Crosby Canada jersey with a large duct tape X on the back.

^Oh Yeah he did. My uncle lived in Canada went to a game in Canada and people kept giving him trash on how he is a wimp and other words for not playing through his injuries. But those injuries were life threatening and I give him credit for keep coming back and fighting to the end to keep hockey in Pittsburgh.

Glendale City Council approved a plan that would see the city paying up to $25 million of the Coyotes losses next year (which is almost a sure thing).

IMO this whole thing is a joke. Phoenix gets to keep the Coyotes, who barely anyone cares about, while Seattle lost the Sonics...it's not fair. Winnipeg deserves the Jets again.

I just read that now too. That really sucks for hockey fans up north and is just showing how much of a joke this really is. I don't think the Coyotes have turned a profit once since being relocated.

Sucks to the non-hockey fans of Glendale though

The $25 million hockey subsidy likely will be funded via the creation of new tax and bonding district around the city-owned Jobing.com Arena and Westgate City Center.

Read more: Glendale approves $25 million Coyotes subsidy - Phoenix Business Journal:

Tax dollars to pay for a hockey team they obviously don't want.

The NHL just needs to tell the city of Glendale no, and that a team in the desert was obviously a bad idea, then move the team back to the open arms of a city that could support them.

^Wasn't a big reason for the move away from Winnipeg because they couldn't support the franchise? It's just such a small market, I don't know how they could stay viable in Winnipeg. While for history's sake it would be great to see them return to Winnipeg, are we sure that it would actually work? I just think the NHL has overreached its bounds with the number of franchises and needs to "trim the fat" a little bit so they stop hemorrhaging money.

While Winnipeg is still a smaller market, the city has grown in size since 1996 (approx 15,000 population growth from 96 to 06, and that's not counting surrounding areas that would be willing to drive).

The city has a 15,000 seat arena which will do for now, and I guarantee they will sell out (or close to sell out) every night if the Jets made a return.

If Quebec City is able to finance, get sponsors for, and build a new arena for the return of the Nordiques, I'm sure Winnipeg would be able to do the same.

The main reason the Jets left was because they couldn't get a new arena, which isn't an issue now. Selling out the arena wouldn't be a problem either, they'd do it with ease. Hell, the Winnipeg Free Press had a chat room/stream for last night's Glendale City Council meeting and there were nearly 5,000 people in it.

^Oh Yeah he did. My uncle lived in Canada went to a game in Canada and people kept giving him trash on how he is a wimp and other words for not playing through his injuries. But those injuries were life threatening and I give him credit for keep coming back and fighting to the end to keep hockey in Pittsburgh.

Even Philly fans, who HATE the Penguins, still gave Mario a standing ovation after a game because he had radiation treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma earlier that day.

My thoughts regarding the Pens vs Habs...

Can't win 'em all I guess...two SCF appearances in a row is certainly a lot more than I ever thought I'd see during my lifetime, and I can assure that the Penguins WILL be back. It is also reassuring to know that the Penguins can basically overhaul the entire roster, everything except the core at least, and get rid of all the dead-weight players who are hurting more than helping, like Fedotenko.

As far as Montreal goes, I wish them all the best and will be rooting for them to come out as Eastern Conference Champions. It would be neat to see them get their 25th (or 26th, depending how you look at it) Cup. I'm not so sure they can beat Chicago or San Jose (especially Chicago considering their style of play is defense-based), but after beating arguably the 2 best Eastern teams in a row, one would think they'd have enough confidence to win it all (watch, Philly/Boston will somehow roll right through them, lol).

I guess it's time to move on to my childhood favorite team in the Sharks. I'll be wearing my Heatley jersey.

Also, thanks for the memories Mellon/Civic Arena! Can't wait to go to a game in the Consol Energy Center next season!

LET'S GO SHARKS!

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^^^ and ^^^^

Gotcha. I'm not totally informed on all the specifics in that situation, but it seems as if it would definitely be better for the NHL if Canada got at least a team or two back.

By the way, I need for all the Penguin fans and Ovie bashers to come eat some crow. Hockey Jesus just lost in 7 games to the same team that Ovie did and did WAYYYYYY worse in the series than Ovie did, so where are you guys at???