TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Say you're the city of champions when the Pirates win a World Series, pal, and that's not going to happen soon!

Penguins fans, congratulations!

You and your team had a great season this year, I'm impressed. I seriously thought this would be back to back wins for the Wings, but you've prevented it in a well fought out battle. I personally thank the city of Pittsburgh and the Penguins organization for a long, and entertaining battle until the end!

You guys have waited and waited for the Cup to return home under a blue Pittsburgh sky.

Well, you've done it!

Until next season, Enjoy the party!

Yeah, first cup in how long? Plus the Pens are not gonna be the same team due to the cap. But glad to see you all have jumped on the bandwagon....

Since 1992, not that long compared to some teams (or cities in Cleveland's case) that have droughts of 40+ years. Not to mention the Chicago Cubs, who haven't won a World Series in over 100 years. 17 years is barely long at all.

The Pens have little cap issues to worry about. Their main players such as Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Orpik, Kunitz, Talbot, and Kennedy are all locked up for many years to come. The only players that really need re-signing are Scuderi, Fedotenko, and Adams. Their salaries aren't big by any means and will use little cap space. All the rest of the players the Penguins might possibly lose (like Hal Gill, Petr Sykora, Miroslav Satan, etc.) are role players that can easily be replaced with up and coming AHL players. Nice try.

My mom has had Penguins season tickets since the early 1990s, and I've easily been to 50-100 Penguins games in my lifetime. Bandwagoner? I don't think so. Once again, nice try.

Say you're the city of champions when the Pirates win a World Series, pal, and that's not going to happen soon!

Two Super Bowls in four years with Lord Stanley added to that second Lombardi warrants enough for a "City of Champions" label. Besides, Pittsburgh was dubbed with the same title in the 1970s when only the Steelers and Pirates won, so it's the same circumstance now, only a different second team.

But whatever, continue the hate, people from Michigan. The Red Wings fans already showed how much class Detroit has by constantly booing the Penguins during the trophy presentations. I'd honestly be embarassed to be from or currently reside in Detroit after that. While last year, all the Pittsburgh fans did the whole time was applaud and give the Red Wings all their respect. In the end, whether you, or anyone else thinks Pittsburgh is a "City of Champions" or not, The Penguins will still have Lord Stanley, and nothing will change that. Keep whining and acting bitter.

^I think that 4 cups in 12 years is better than 1 cup in 12 years. Also, look at how we got our players. Deep in the draft, not the number 1 pick. Only the really bad teams get that pick. And you had it 2 time within 4 years. And as far as the bandwagon thing, it was not focused on you, as I have been here long enough to see that you have been with the pens for awhile now.

Yeah, I wasn't taking anything away from Detroit's Cup history and tradition, it just seemed as if you were acting like it's been decades.

As for the top draft picks, blame them on the pre-lockout CBA. The Penguins were bankrupt and couldn't afford to pay their top players, forcing to send most young, highly-touted prospects (including Fleury at one point in time) down to the AHL so they didn't have to pay them. The Penguins were then composed of a bunch of scrubs. This went on for a few years.

You act like it's a bad thing to have superstars on your team. I'm damn proud of it and what they have accomplished the past two seasons. A mere few years ago no one was sure if the Penguins were even going to stay in Pittsburgh, now they're raising Lord Stanley with a brand new arena halfway built?!

The Pittsburgh Penguins organization went from rock bottom, the lowest of low, to as high as you can possibly go in a matter of 3 or 4 years. This is just me, but I think that's accomplishing a hell of a lot more than winning 4 cups in 12 years.

Ive been following the Pens since 1996, and I'm damn proud to finally see them win another Cup.

They deserve it after all the crap that team has had to go through.

And Detroit fans booing them as they were raising the cup, real classy!

Especially from a city that calls them self "hockey town".

Great Job Pens, look forward to next season!

And Detroit fans booing them as they were raising the cup, real classy!

Especially from a city that calls them self "hockey town".

Yeah, I thought that was a little obnoxious too. Last year there was a little booing from Pens fans (I had to look it up just now to make sure), but it was nowhere NEAR as long and loud as the Wings fans today and for the most part last year they either left or just stayed and congratulated the Wings. But it seemed like EVERY wings fan today just stayed and booed the entire time the Pens were celebrating, it was a little necessary. I couldn't even hear what the commish was saying, all I heard was boos.

It was a nice, calming drive into work here in the Steel City this morning.

Last night trying to sleep was just impossible. Cars were honking at eachother and 'fireworks' still going off around 1am.

Hats off to the Wings, they played quite well. A great day for hockey, indeed.

Now to ride the 'championship high' through my shift today.

I now leave you with this image.

hossafail.jpg.f1756549ca14eece4df0b28f994177f5.jpg

I was hating?!

I just congratulated you guys! Thanks for stabbing me in the back, that statement I made may've been harsh but that response was alot worse then mine.

I even called my uncle afterwards and congratulated him and the fans he was with that night.

I'm a wayyy better sport then most Wings fans, and I have family in Pennsylvania. I cheer for the Steelers, and my first NHL game was a Pens game!!

I take my word back on the World Series thing, but wow....Pens fans don't eff around!

But whatever, continue the hate, people from Michigan. The Red Wings fans already showed how much class Detroit has by constantly booing the Penguins during the trophy presentations. I'd honestly be embarassed to be from or currently reside in Detroit after that. While last year, all the Pittsburgh fans did the whole time was applaud and give the Red Wings all their respect. In the end, whether you, or anyone else thinks Pittsburgh is a "City of Champions" or not, The Penguins will still have Lord Stanley, and nothing will change that. Keep whining and acting bitter.

I couldn't even hear what the commish was saying, all I heard was boos.

For starters, the Wings fans were booing Gary Bettman, NOT the Pens. Knowledgable hockey fans know that he is widely regarded as the worst commissioner in pro sports, and the direct reason the sport took a nosedive over the last decade. Booing of Bettman happens in any city with a high hockey IQ.

Check your facts guys before you start firing out misguided statements towards a particular fanbase.

Oh, and I guess you didn't stick around long enough to notice the Wings fans loudly applauding Mario Lemieux when he hoisted the Cup, huh?

but wow....Pens fans don't eff around!

Its a 'burgh thing

^I think that 4 cups in 12 years is better than 1 cup in 12 years. Also, look at how we got our players. Deep in the draft, not the number 1 pick. Only the really bad teams get that pick. And you had it 2 time within 4 years.

Maybe you don't think it matters because you weren't alive then, but prior to a rejuvenation in the mid-90s, the Red Wings were mediocre for a long time themselves.

Congrats to the Pens, I'm just not really into hockey anymore..

I couldn't even hear what the commish was saying, all I heard was boos.

For starters, the Wings fans were booing Gary Bettman, NOT the Pens. Knowledgable hockey fans know that he is widely regarded as the worst commissioner in pro sports, and the direct reason the sport took a nosedive over the last decade. Booing of Bettman happens in any city with a high hockey IQ.

Oh, and I guess you didn't stick around long enough to notice the Wings fans loudly applauding Mario Lemieux when he hoisted the Cup, huh?

I highly doubt it considering they were cheering when Crosby went off the ice injured. I know how bad Bettman is, and I bet some of the booing was, in fact, for him, but not all of it.

Those were Penguins fans cheering Mario, not Detroit fans. By the time he hoisted it, most of the Wings fans left and Penguins fans had moved down. They even said it on the local news, and panned the crowd a few times, where you could clearly see that.

^ I don't know what game you were watching then.

I know how bad Bettman is, and I bet some of the booing was, in fact, for him, but not all of it.
Again, go back and watch any Cup presentation that's happened in a city that knows its hockey. You'll see that scene repeated.

But sure, I'm probably just making that up.

Quite clearly the fans were booing Bettman. As soon as he stopped talking the fans pretty much shut up. It's a tradition: let's boo the terrible commish who has no clue what he's doing. I don't blame anyone for following that tradition. You should see it at the NHL Entry Draft!!!

Congrats, Pittsburgh. Finally, a team I'm cheering for wins a sports championship! ...even though I was only cheering the Pens because the Wings are my least favourite pro sports team. Ever. But hey I will take it.

I think lost in all this is the plight of Wings back-up goalie Ty Conklin, who was ALSO on the Pens last year.

Since the lockout, he's:

-- been to the Cup finals with Edmonton in 05/06, and lost to the 'Canes

-- been to the Eastern Conference finals with Buffalo in 06/07, and lost to the Sens

-- been to the Cup finals with Pittsburgh in 07/08, lost to Detroit

-- been to the Cup finals with Detroit in 08/09, lost to Pittsburgh

I mean, that has to be hard to swallow. Forget Hossa...!

As long as I've watched Hockey they boo Bettman. Generally most fans will give in and at least not boo for a visiting team that has one the cup, often they will even include a small amount of applause (and a lot for certain players!).

Overall this was a great series. I'll admit that I did jump on the Pen's bandwagon. Mostly because they were the worst team in hockey a few years back and it gives me hope that someday I'll get to see my Kings hoist the cup.

... and it gives me hope that someday I'll get to see my Kings hoist the cup.

The Kings are definitely a team to watch out for in the future. They have great young talent in Doughty, Brown, Kopitar, Boyle, Quick, etc. They are rumored to be going hard after Chris Pronger as we speak. If that falls through, it's been rumored that they want Marian Gaborik, and it's also been well-known that they have been pursuing Lecavalier for a while. This team means business and wants that one player that's going to put them over the edge. They might even be a yearly contender if that core of young players can stay together.

Well to not cheer a legend is unspeakable anyways.

I am quite sure I heard the booing get louder as he announced the winner. Im also quite sure at he been saying the Detroit Red Wings, the booing would have instantly stopped and switched to cheering. Which I would understand. But out of respect for the winners, why not just boo as he comes out, then stop when he announces the winner?

Well, no one to blame but the Wings for losing this year. Up 2 to nil and you lose the next 4 out of 5? That suckage.

I was lovin Fleurys epic standoff on those last 2 faceoffs.

^

Perceptions obviously differ. But like a poster above mentioned, most disinterested (not uninterested) hockey fans would say that booing was directed at commissioner Gary Bettman, not the Penguins.

Red Wings fans are among the most knowledgable in hockey. Perhaps there were a few scattered boos from sore loser fans, but the majority of the Joe Louis Arena crowd appreciated and recognized the Penguins' accomplishment. Nice classy response.

I've been waiting for the visiting team to win a 7th game in the finals for a long time. The last I can remember was Montreal over Chicago in 1971. In that game, Chicago built a 2-0 lead but the Canadiens came back to win 3-2. Was hoping that Vancouver would win over the NY Rangers in game 7 in 1994, but no such luck.

By the way, the most gracious display from fans of a losing team was in Buffalo in 1975, when the Sabres fans heartily cheered the hated "Broad Street Bully" Philadelphia Flyers and even shouted "Bernie, Bernie" for goalie Bernie Parent.

Congratulations to the Penguins and their fans.

Well, I can understand that, however I could sense a great deal of frustration from Wings Fans both friends and workplace who are lifers in terms of their devotion to the Wings and hockey.

I would think boo the moron but once he announces the winner, you dont boo louder. They didnt stop untill he was done which, while the intent is to humiliate him, also IMO is disrespectful of the winner.

I too am glad SOMEONE made a stand as visitor in Game 7.

Just for a comparison...This is last year in Pittsburg. The booing is obviously less, but somewhat there. Even though its in Pittsburg, there was actually cheering and it got quiet so he could announce.

Then theres the 97 Cup Presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtfC-X2038

I dont hear any booing. Maybe 1/8th of the crowd.

And before that, the 97 Conn Smythe Presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkzLxJfRN0M

Booed as he talked but as SOON as he mentioned Vernon, exploded.

So, I understand the hatred of him but I certainly feel in the heat of the moment Wings fans in that building were far more sore than its being played out to be!

Not to say I wouldnt be if my team blew a 2-0 lead in the Finals either...So I cant say its wrong. Just that they werent as gracious in that building as I had hoped.

he Wings fans were booing Gary Bettman, NOT the Pens. Knowledgable hockey fans know that he is widely regarded as the worst commissioner in pro sports, and the direct reason the sport took a nosedive over the last decade. Booing of Bettman happens in any city with a high hockey IQ.

Actually had to explain that to my mom last night, in addition to the fact they ended up cheering for Lemieux. What year did he win the Cup as a player, was it '92?

^ He won back to back in 1990–91, 1991–92.

^^ That second example was a bit different. That was following a very long drought for the franchise. You can tell they were a bit more anxious to cheer Stevie Y hoisting the Cup rather than boo Bettman.....but don't think the sentiment wasn't forgotten. I actually still love watching Stevie try to practically rip it from the moron's hands.

Remember, that was only two seasons after Bettman became public enemy number one with longtime NHL fans. Believe me, if the opponent had been hoisting the Cup that night (in the second clip you posted), Bettman may have actually been killed rather than booed.

And that sort of relates to last night as well. When your team loses and you have to watch the opponent celebrate, naturally, the easiest way to relieve some tension, stress, and frustration is to take it out on something, or someone. Enter the perfect idiot to take the abuse....Bettman. It makes sense.

Of course, I'm sure there's some who booed the Pens. Afterall, alcohol was served to those in attendance. But I'm still betting the house that 90+% of Hockeytown realizes, understands, and appreciates what they witnessed last night....even in defeat.