TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...
Congrats to Brodeur, he certainly deserves credit as one of the best athletes at his position in ANY sport. I don't see anyone getting past the Devils in the East this year, but you never know.

I don't know. Coming from a Devils fan, and a Brodeur lover, I really can't see them getting past the Canes in the first round. I think it is going to be really tough.

^ That's not true. The "nodicks" won in '96 (yeah, to me they're still Quebec from the Adams division). They did what the Canucks couldn't do in '94, the Flames couldn't do in '04, and sadly, what the Oilers couldn't do in '06 (losing to the Burger King Whalers of Hartford).

<------- Got really sick of the U.S. stealing Canada's beloved teams from

them.

EDIT: Yeah, 13 years is still too long. I just don't ever want it to be the Habs. Hmmm, even that significantly hurts your odds. Down from 6 to 5 teams to get the job done.

^ That's not true. The "nodicks" won in '96...

<------- Got really sick of the U.S. stealing Canada's beloved teams from

them.

1. I had no idea the Nordiques won... ever, let alone relatively recently!

2. I second that emotion.

EDIT: According to the NHL site's list of Cup winners, Colorado won in '96. Was that when the Nordiques dismantled/moved?

Yes, I believe it was their first season in Colorado. I still refer to them as the Nordiques. The Jets, North Stars, and Whalers still exist as well. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The Avalanche (I feel nauseous just saying that name) was the worst situation ever. Although I still hate Quebec, I can't help but feel bad for the true die hard, loyal season ticket holders up there that had their hearts ripped out, and then had to sit and watch their team hoist the Cup a year later....somewhere else.

Ditto for the true Hartford fans.

The Leafs can't even lose right.

All they had to was lose the final game of the season against Ottawa and they would have moved past LA and Phoenix up to the 5th spot in the draft. (pending the lottery).

But no, they beat Ottawa and get pushed back to 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa sand bagged that game just to spite us.

Then after the season Burke goes off saying how he's going to trade up to get Tavares. Gee, that 5th pick would have been worth more in a trade then the 7th pick.

Not going too far back, where did some other "former" NHL teams relocate?

^ I really do want to see the Leafs just completely tank one year (and one year soon) so we can actually get some decent picks for once.

Dan "Can't have regrowth if the forest doesn't burn" Smith

^^ lol. There's plenty of room on the Bruins bandwagon. We need all the help we can get. With the B's, I know exactly what it's like to be a Cubs fan.

^ Quebec to Colorado. Winnipeg to Phoenix. Hartford to Carolina. Minnesota to Dallas. Then Minnesota ended up with expansion crap (with a horrible name nonetheless). Pretty sure that's it as far as the more recent moving of teams was concerned. BUT, that does bring up the rare oddity of the Flames starting out in Atlanta, and then moving northward to Calgary. How the hell did that happen?

Also, the Devils originally playing in Colorado. Although that should not be a free pass to steal the Nordiques years later.

^^ That just won't happen. Leafs aren't bad enough to tank, and not good enough yet to be a contender. I don't think Burke will be able to get the 1st pick, though he might have a chance of squeezing the 2nd or 3rd pick from LA or Colorado. That would give us a pretty good player out of Tavares/Hedman/Duchene depending on where we draft.

^ I think I'd probably put my #1 choice in either Vancouver or Calgary.

Though in the east Boston would probably be my favorite.

Also can add to your list Ottawa. They used to have a team (and even won a cup I believe). But the team folded, before coming back as an expansion team.

I feel the need to express my love for the Capitals in this thread. I still am more than irritated that the rangers managed to hold us to their one goal lead, but it was a good game - hopefully Saturday will go much better for us. Either way it will be a good series, and I can't wait to see how it will end up!

By the way, does anyone else find it almost unholy that some playoff games are matinee's? *shakes head* it just ain't right.

^^^^Aye matinee's are a good idea, I just think they mess with the mentality of the teams. Good for the crowd, not so good for the players.

And as a Caps fan, I say GO PENS (although if we come up against you later on in the series, I'm sorry I'm rooting for the Caps). Freakin Flyers.

To everyone in this thread...look on the bright side:

At least you aren't a Kings fan.

I'm a Kings fan.

Back in 1994 I was a little kid just starting to get into sports. I have to make the choice if I want to be a King fan or a Duck fan. The Kings were coming off a trip to the finals, the Ducks sucked.

Just glad all these years later that the Kings have had such continued success.

Ive been a Blackhawks fan my entire life and never thought id actually live to see them be contenders again. 2-0 over the Flames, woo! Three young studs on the westside of Chicago (Toews, Kane, and Derrick Rose on the Bulls).