TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

My Sabres are still unbeaten in '09! Okay, so it's only three in a row and we still have a way to go to catch the Bruins and Canadiens in the East. But I will definitely take three division wins in a row...despite the fact that Ruutu tried to take a bite outta Peters hand last night!!!! WTF was that all about???

Edit: Ruutu got a two game suspension for his temporary flesh hunger. Word in Western NY says the Sabres got the dentist from Seinfeld to confirm the toothmarks in Peters' finger. Yeah, they might not have been Jon Voight's teeth marks - but they were indeed Jarkko Ruutu's! What a dumb a$$!!!

and even Crosby himself have been picking it up this season when fighting was inevitable.

I wouldn't call any of Crosby's fights this year a real fight. All the fights I've seen him in he's jumped people when they're not ready for it. Like that last one where he jumped the guy on the faceoff.

If I was coaching the Pen's I wouldn't really want Crosby fighting, don't want to expose my star players to injuries like that.

I was surprised that the Pens traded away so many of their enforcers. With all their star power you'd think they'd want a few guys who could protect them. Maybe Marty McSorley should consider a comeback.

I'm really getting tired of how Cindy Crosby is regarded as anything more than a mediocre hockey player. He's not even the best player on his own team. He dives anytime someone gets near him rather than playing through contact. And his version of "fighting for his team" involves jumping the smallest player on the opposing team and tugging on his jersey while keeping his glamour shield strapped on. He's got some good vision and passes well but other than that I just don't get it.

• Like 1

^ Cindy...LOL.

Gretzky/Kariya/Crosby are all basically cut from the same mold. I'm not gonna even try to dispute their talent when given open ice and freedom to make plays, but the score will always read: Bobby Orr > any of these chumps...PERIOD.

Anyway, this argument reminds me of one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.....

Disclaimer: Rated R for Strong Language.

^^ Well smartass he only plays with the best player in the league (points wise). Crosby is the Captain, he's suppose to be making plays and creating opportunities for the other guys.

Player, Points

1. Evgeni Malkin, 63

2. Alexander Ovechkin, 53

3. Sidney Crosby, 53

Top NHL Players

Sidney is third in the league. Yeah, I say that's above average in my book.

Hopefully they keep it up. Ryan Miller is the only reason why I'm not going 0/4 weekly on goalie points in my fantasy league.

Good luck! I know that the fans and Buffalo media were riding him pretty hard when they could not win more than two games in a row. Even Lindy called him, Roy and Vanek out for their poor play - it looks like they have all responded.

He has been playing well as of late, but either of those Spezza goals the other night should never have happened. At least he was man enough to call himself out after the game and say that it was simply a "bad shift" for him!

^Most likely.

There is some confusion as to exactly which game is being played. Trent says "I wish they still had fights in this game so I could bitch-slap Wayne" and later "I'm gonna make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed". NHLPA Hockey '93 featured both fights and bleeding, but NHL Hockey '94 (which has become something of a cult classic, partly due to the film) featured neither. Gretzky actually gets injured and bleeds in the game, and the logo at the center of the ice is "EA SN" rather than the contemporary LA Kings logo, so the prop used seems to be NHLPA '93.

Excellent clip. Good movie, too.

• 3 weeks later...

My Penguins are still a point out of the playoffs with that tough OT loss to NJ tonight after being up 3-1 in the 3rd. I hope they can rebound and save their season before it gets too late, especially when Gonchar comes back in March. If the Pens miss the playoffs or get eliminated early, I'll be cheering for my favorite team as a kid, and now 2nd favorite team, the Sharks.

• 1 month later...

Time to bring this thread back with the milestone that was achieved last night. Martin Brodeur is now the winningest goalie to ever play the game. As much as I hate him (He's owned the Flyers for is entire carrer), he's still my favorite goalie, and IMO the best to ever play in the NHL .

What are everyone's thoughts/feelings on this?

I'd take any of the following, regardless of how many wins each had:

- Sawchuk

- Roy

- Hasek

- Brodeur

- Dryden

- Plante

- B. Smith

- Fuhr

Who's best? That's impossible to answer. You're in Game 7 of the Cup Finals.....would you pull any of those names from net?

^ I absolutely agree with you. I'm just saying since i'm relatively young, only been following hockey for about 12 years. Brodeur is the best of the era i've been following.

I would still take any of those guys you mentioned in a heartbeat.

I love Brodeur however if I really had to pick the best netminder that I have ever seen play I would have to go with Hasek. There was a few years where that guy was not only a brick wall, but was possibly the most fun goalie in the league to watch.

Guess there isn't going to be many votes for Kelly Hrudey as the best goalie ever!