TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

^ If Quick is out for any extended amount of time the Kings are in trouble.

Lots of people blaming Scrivens for the S/O Loss but you can't blame a cold goalie having to come in for a Shoot-Out. The offense sure didn't help him out. Is it too late to get Bernier back?

EDIT: Quick headed back to LA, looks like Jones is going to be called up from Manchester. No bueno.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/11/13/report-quick-to-la-martin-jones-to-join-team/

^^That I certainly didn't expect & definitely not good about Quick - sure hope he is okay & doesn't miss too much time.

But this came as even more of a shock today...

My prayers have finally been answered!!!!

Sabres fire coach and GM

If anything, bringing in a former coach (Nolan) that actually won games for us before we got Lindy and also one of the Sabres most beloved players (Lafontaine) is a great PR move that should start paying dividends in ticket sales right away, even if we continue to struggle for a while.

The fans finally got what they wanted in getting Regier and Rolston out of Buffalo...now let's see if they can turn this ship around and put a string of wins together!

Wow, Professor Scrivens is on a roll and filling in quite admirably. A well deserved "Player of the Week" last week.

The Kings as a whole are on a roll right now and have picked up about 8 points on the Ducks over the past week. Only 1 point out of first right now (along with 3 other teams). The West is tight this year.

• 3 months later...

Tons of activity today with the Trading Deadline, but what does everyone think about the moves?

As a Rangers fan, I'm torn. I loved Cally as a player, but understand that he doesn't fit into Alain Vigneault's system, especially for 6+ mil a year. Excited to gain St. Louis, and see if him and Richards can rekindle their spark from a few years ago with TBL.

The Caps had the worst trade deadline moves since I've been following hockey. GMGM is the most incompetent GM since Mike Milbury with the Islanders. I hate McPhee so much that I hope this team bombs so he'll be fired, so the Caps will actually have a chance to be a decent team.

What is so bad about his moves so far this year?^ I think getting Penner was great, and why not add a solid goaltender? Neuvy has been not very good recently, we need to shake things up. We are 9th in goals for, 22nd in goals against, 18th in the league. The team who wins the cup generally is the team who gives up the least amount of goals. Our forwards are not the problem but rather of D and goalie.

^ Goaltending is NOT an issue. We had three goalies who were capable of being our number one. Halak will not do ANY better than Neuvy because he still won't have a defense in front of him. The reason our goals against is so high is because our goalies have been given ZERO support from the D. We got a good defenseman in Klesla, but then traded him away to help get a goalie who we didn't need.

^ Goaltending is NOT an issue. We had three goalies who were capable of being our number one. Halak will not do ANY better than Neuvy because he still won't have a defense in front of him. The reason our goals against is so high is because our goalies have been given ZERO support from the D. We got a good defenseman in Klesla, but then traded him away to help get a goalie who we didn't need.

That and your offense doesn't show up at times

The Sabres organization is in total disarray right now.

Last week, they traded their franchise goaltender and Captain to the Blues and then ex-Sabre captain (& fan favorite) Pat Lafontaine that was hired just months ago to try to turn this organization around abruptly resigned the following weekend after Miller and Ott were traded. So far, no real explanation as to why, but you wonder if that trade had anything to do with it.

I can see them trading out the house and trying to build through the draft, but wouldn't you at least want to hold on to ONE franchise-type player to build a nucleus around? I can understand the Miller trade because he is getting old and wants to win a Cup, but I think the dumbest move was getting rid of Vanek earlier in the season.

Edit - They just traded Moulson (whom they got in return for Vanek & was their highest goal scorer), Erhoff, McNabb, Parker and Halak (whom they just got from the Blues in the Miller/Ott trade).

If the front office is deliberately trying to alienate fans, they are certainly doing an awesome job!

That and your offense doesn't show up at times

If a team can score five goals in one game and four goals the next, and lose both, that is a clear indication that offense isn't a problem. The problem is defense, not offense or goaltending. McPhee focused on everything except what we actually need and has done that ever since I've been following hockey. He needs to go. This team will never come close to a Cup as long as he is GM.

How I feel about the Caps trade deadline decisions:

a) Neuvirth wants out because we refuse to start him.

b) Neuvirth plays consistently well when we do start him.

c) Holtby is the most inconsistent person in the league as far as I'm concerned.

d) Therefore, trade your consistent goalie instead of starting him over your inconsistent one.

e) Put your Golden Child Holtby out and watch him get overshadowed yet again by Grubauer.

So what we've got now is Holtby signed for another two years, but I really hope Halak fits with the team and can become our starter (though I wish we had nagged Miller). We need a goalie we can actually trust to goaltend each game, not just a handful of them. As much as I really like Holtby and know he can do well - think 2011-2012 playoffs - I'd honestly like to see him traded away next year and Grubauer signed out of the AHL.

At the same time, we're so defensively screwed it's unreal. We need someone other than Carlson and Hillen who can play defense, and we need people like Ovi to help out when the puck is in our zone rather than wait until he can charge it back up the ice to up his goal count. I'm glad we've got Penner and got rid of Erat for sure, but I'd liked to have seen us bolster the part of the team that has the real problems.

How I feel about the Caps trade deadline decisions:

a) Neuvirth wants out because we refuse to start him.

b) Neuvirth plays consistently well when we do start him.

c) Holtby is the most inconsistent person in the league as far as I'm concerned.

d) Therefore, trade your consistent goalie instead of starting him over your inconsistent one.

e) Put your Golden Child Holtby out and watch him get overshadowed yet again by Grubauer.

So what we've got now is Holtby signed for another two years, but I really hope Halak fits with the team and can become our starter (though I wish we had nagged Miller). We need a goalie we can actually trust to goaltend each game, not just a handful of them. As much as I really like Holtby and know he can do well - think 2011-2012 playoffs - I'd honestly like to see him traded away next year and Grubauer signed out of the AHL.

At the same time, we're so defensively screwed it's unreal. We need someone other than Carlson and Hillen who can play defense, and we need people like Ovi to help out when the puck is in our zone rather than wait until he can charge it back up the ice to up his goal count. I'm glad we've got Penner and got rid of Erat for sure, but I'd liked to have seen us bolster the part of the team that has the real problems.

Not to mention Holtby got his ass kicked by Emery

^ Oh, so you condone that thuggery. Emery should have been kicked out of the NHL for that. Holtby wanted NO PART and that thug jumped him anyway. Emery even said in an interview after the game: "He said he didn't want to fight, so I said protect yourself." Holtby still had his gloves on when Emery was wailing on THE BACK OF HIS HEAD! Sorry, but anyone who condones that act doesn't deserve respect and shouldn't watch hockey.

Happy kings traded one high upside guy for another more proven high upside guy!

Marian Gaborik is a very talented twat.

He'll fit in on the KIngs like Woody Allen would fit in in a Tlyer Perry movie...

Let me guess:

Injury prone, doesn't show up in big games, floats, not a Sutter type of player.

All the same things were said about Carter and he worked out pretty well.

If Gabby can stay healthy, I think he will be another Carter for us. If he doesn't work out, no big deal, as the Kings traded away scraps to get him.

Plus, he's not really here to be "the guy". He just has to be a threat to be effective, just another player the other team has to worry about thus creating more room for our top players. And with him playing LW it allows our other players to play thier natural positions.

The last game against the Jets was one of the Kings best overall games of the season. The Jets have been a team Kings have had trouble with in the past and I think Gabby was a big factor in how the team played.

• 1 month later...