TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

I am excited for the Stadium series only because the Devils will finally be in a game! Not surprised that the NHL has the Rangers in 2 games though. I feel that it takes away from the Winter Classic a little because that was the big outdoor game each season.

Found this on Yahoo Sports:

The six planned outdoor NHL games for the 2013-14 season are valued at $30 million apiece and the extra $180 million generated will be split evenly between the league and the players, CBC reported Monday.

Since the salary cap is scheduled to decrease next season, players are concerned about the NHL's escrow. However, the outdoor games are part of a three-year strategy that will allow the league to make an additional $1 billion.

The plan includes gaining revenue from a World Cup, sponsorship, TV revenue and merchandise.

Quite a few of my friends went to the game last night. One said it was the best game he'd ever been to, and he's been going since he was a little kid and he goes to about a dozen a year. I wish I could have been there, but watching the end of the game on TV and hearing the crowd drown out the final horn was awesome. I don't think I've ever heard Verizon Center that loud. Last game I went to back in '07, I left with my ears ringing, VC is a VERY loud arena.

I'm obviously pulling for the Leafs, but my money would be on a Pittsburgh/Chicago final. They are far the best teams in each conference and both have won a cup recently. Pens in 7 in the final.

Now that the regular season is basically over, here are my picks for the NHL Awards:

Hart - Ovechkin: The Caps would never have made a comeback if Alex didn't get on the run he had. 24 goals in the final 29 games, that would put him on pace for nearly 70 goals in a full season! Everyone seems to think Crosby will win, but the Penguins still won without him, so he wasn't that valuable to his team.

Vezina - Bobrovsky: He would also have been my pick for Hart had the Blue Jackets made the playoffs. Bob had an unbelievable year and he completely deserves this trophy.

Lindsay - Crosby: Okay, I hate this guy almost as much as I hate Cooke or Torres, but I won't deny that his numbers before the injury were phenomenal.

Norris - Suter: He didn't have the most points, but his ice time per game was incredible.

Calder - Gallagher: This kid was a lot of fun to watch this season, and he put up really good numbers for his team.

Adams - Quenneville: I don't know how you could argue with this. The Blackhawks were the most consistent team in the league with an incredible start to the season, and were on top the entire year.

Quite a few of my friends went to the game last night. One said it was the best game he'd ever been to, and he's been going since he was a little kid and he goes to about a dozen a year. I wish I could have been there, but watching the end of the game on TV and hearing the crowd drown out the final horn was awesome. I don't think I've ever heard Verizon Center that loud. Last game I went to back in '07, I left with my ears ringing, VC is a VERY loud arena.

Seriously was amazing to be there. My friend was out here from California and she said she had never heard an arena so loud - even with five minutes left on the clock and for seemingly no reason, we were breaking 112dB on the meter! It was a great game to say the least, and definitely the loudest of the season!

I do agree that Ovi is a really strong contender for MVP, and for the same reasons - the Pens carried themselves into their #1 seed just fine with Crosby out, whereas the Caps wouldn't have stood a chance if Ovi hadn't gotten his crap together 30 games ago.

With Crosby back in though, this is gonna be a much tougher playoff run for everyone in the East - that's for sure.

^112? That's as loud as a rock concert. That's seriously loud, almost to the point where it's damaging. Imagine if that was game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, I could see the fans breaking 120. Some of my family members went to a game one time and they sat in the same section as Horn Guy and Goat, that must have been incredible. I don't understand how Goat uses no mikes but you can still hear his voice through the whole arena.

I would strongly argue John Tavares for Hart Trophy. Im a Devils fan and remember the Isles were in last In the East last year. Now they're a hot playoff team on a mission thanks to the leadership of Tavares. Isles don't make the playoffs without him. I'd give it to him for turning his team around in the best way. Hes quickly becoming an elite player in hockey.

^112? That's as loud as a rock concert. That's seriously loud, almost to the point where it's damaging.

That's why Caps games are my favorite things to go to - it's just absurdly loud the whole time, especially when good things happen and particularly straight through the last five minutes of the game. An OT win is even better, it's a goal and a win all at the same time and you can't even hear the horns blaring!

Adams - Quenneville: I don't know how you could argue with this. The Blackhawks were the most consistent team in the league with an incredible start to the season, and were on top the entire year.

The award doesn't go the best team though, it's the best coach. Considering how good that team is, I think it should go to one of the coaches that turned around bad teams into contenders. I'd think Therien in Montreal would be a front runner.

^ Randy Carlyle is more likely to get Jack Adams recognition this year... Q-Ville with president's trophy is impressive, but bringing the most expensive/notorious team in the league into the playoffs after missing them for nine consecutive years must mean something!

I don't know what I'm more upset at. How the Kings played in the first 59-mins of the game, Quick's gift wrapped goal, or how FOX butchered an OT NHL playoff game with a meaningless first quarter of an NBA game.

And that's why you watch it on NBC Sports, CNBC or NHL Network.

Yeah, the split screen was ridiculous, especially considering the Clippers game was on TBS (or TNT).

The Quick thing ... not sure what that was. All I know is without Quick the game wouldn't have been that close. I expect a very different game on Thursday. As for who I have, obviously I want the Kings and I have them playing either the Oilers or Leafs in the finals.

I just want to see the Kings/Ducks finally play each other in the playoffs which means I'll be rooting for the Sharks to win their first series so the Kings/Ducks will play in Round 2 (if they win of course).

^Damn right we are flying under the radar this year for the first time in a long time. ! I understand that the penguins didn't want to rush Crybaby back, but jesus its been 4-5 weeks for a broken jaw! If he can talk and eat he she play, i dont understand why he is such a wussy.

And i hate how every year Melrose & Milberry say the Blackhawks and Penguins are going to win, like stop playing it safe and saying the best team is going to win it all cause it rarely happens, its usually the hottest team going into playoffs

^Last year it was a team that barely squeaked in. Once the playoffs start ANYTHING can happen, there are no guarantees. I'm not expecting the Caps to do much, but it's better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to have high expectations and be unpleasantly disappointed.

On the topic of the Caps specifically: people are seriously underestimating our bottom six. Perreault, Chimmer, Fehr, Hendricks, Ward, and Beagle have worked SO hard this year, even though they didn't put up big numbers. People are also really doubting Holtby, which makes no sense considering that, apart from a terrible start, he was the most consistent player on the team. His poor stats are misleading; many goals this year were a direct result of the defense leaving Holts out to dry and leaving guys wide open in front of the net, giving him zero chance to make a save. The one thing I hope NEVER happens in the playoffs is the Caps playing a shut-down defense when they have a lead late. That's how we always blow leads late in a game, they're trying to keep the puck away from the other team instead of trying to expand the lead. Giving up a 5-1 in the third is unacceptable and inexcusable. That crap CANNOT happen in the postseason.

Yeah, the split screen was ridiculous, especially considering the Clippers game was on TBS (or TNT).

The Quick thing ... not sure what that was. All I know is without Quick the game wouldn't have been that close. I expect a very different game on Thursday. As for who I have, obviously I want the Kings and I have them playing either the Oilers or Leafs in the finals.

I just want to see the Kings/Ducks finally play each other in the playoffs which means I'll be rooting for the Sharks to win their first series so the Kings/Ducks will play in Round 2 (if they win of course).

Buffalo will trade you Miller for Quick, I'm sure!

His wife (or GF) is an actress in LA and there have been rumors that Miller may have played his last game in B-Lo last Friday. I think that he REALLY wants out of Buffalo & wants to go to LA or Anaheim (more likely), but I can't say that I blame him when the fans were already irate & booing him and the state of the organization going into the final stretch of games seemed to be one of complete chaos.

Management then had the balls to come out and say that there would be a price increase on all tickets next year (on fan appreciation night, no less). And the GM that has pretty much wrecked this team over the years would be retained for one more year?? Nice end of year press conference where they wouldn't answer any negative questions about their past two failed seasons!

They are going to have to do some major damage control in order to not ruin there loyal customer base that has paid to see years of incompetence. I saw the writing on the wall this year when they got rid of Lindy & while I wasn't overly happy, everyone seemed to think that maybe a shake-up might have stirred the players. It obviously back-fired so the GM panicked and dumped a bunch of salary at the deadline and quickly went into the "rebuilding mode" before the season ended to save his ass.

Fans in Buffalo are not happy campers right now...whether it be Sabres or Bills, they are sick and tired of the futility after years and years of dedicated support (IE: sold out home games).

^^They blew every lead they got before they got over .500! That game vs Lightning was pitiful even though thats when they were playing better. they need to go balls out the entire game and play till the end.

And i love Chimer, Fehr, and Beags, they all do indeed work hard. Ovi needs to continue to work as well and crash the rebounds left. He needs Lundquist to be his bitch

AND SCREW THE PENS!! Up 4-0 already