TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Well, it's only two games, but my Buffalo Sabres look like they're on a mission to do some damage in this shortened season. Vanek looks very impressive, he did a lot of playtime in Europe during the lockout, smart guy. My fingers are crossed that the Sabres keep playing well!

2-0 baby...let's go for 3 tonight with Enroth in net!

PS: Yes, I did sell out even though my plan was to boycott hockey this season. But what else is there to do when there is two feet of snow on the ground and it is in the single digits outside? Drink and watch hockey, of course!

That goal Neuvy gave up early was one of the softest goals I've ever seen. He redeemed himself later, thankfully. But did you see Holtby the first 2 games? 10 goals in 2 games is inexcusable in any league. Thank God Neuvy shook off that bad goal and played well or we would have lost another one.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a really good game by the Caps, but I'm not getting my hopes up at all. If they can win at least 4 out of the next five, then I might be able to get my hopes up. Holtbeast played great AND got an assist, but again I'm not getting my hopes up because other than this game he's played terribly.

^What's it gonna take for Cooke to get kicked out of the league? There was the career-ending hit on Marc Savard which he didn't even get a slap on the wrist for, there was the elbow to the head of McDounagh(sp?), countless slough-foots, knee-on-knees, and boardings, and now he pulled a Verbeek(sp?) and kicked Karlsson in the back of the leg cutting his tendon. Even one of my Penguins fan teachers says Cooke should have been kicked out of the league by now.

The Devils are off to a great start! The only problem is that we can't seem to play our best in the 1st period and it definitely shows right now in this game against the Flyers.

I don't think Matt Cooke intentionally tried injuring Karlsson and it was more a freak thing.

On a random note, I met David Clarkson last night after waiting 1 1/2 hours in the cold. The autograph session was supposed to go to 8:30 but he stayed almost an extra hour because he heard we were waiting outside and cancelled his plans he had for the rest of the night. It was really nice of him to stay later to meet his fans.

The Caps are heating up these past 3 games. Our PP is red hot, Holtby's starting to find his groove even though he's still letting in very soft goals and making poor decisions, and we've been much better in the offensive zone. I still don't think there's a lot of hope for the playoffs this year because of the shortened training camp and a new coach with a very different system, but at least the Caps have some life right now. We've got a tough next three games with the Rangers and a home-and-home with the Devils, so we'll see if we can win against some of the best teams in the East.

Unrelated; has anyone heard of Connor McDavid? He's a 16-year old in the OHL who already has a multi-million dollar endorsement deal and some insane hype surrounding him, such as "The Next Gretzky". He's eligible for the NHL draft in 2015, I'm really excited to see if he lives up to the hype. I just hope the Pens don't draft him, 'cause then I'll have no choice but to hate him.

^Can't say I'm too surprised since they missed the playoffs last year and aren't doing well this year.

I think hiring Oates was a bad decision, the Caps have been abysmal this year. The only people who have been showing up every game are Ribeiro, Crabb, Ward, and Holtby only recently. My parents keep saying it was the shortened training camp, but I think they would have had those issues sorted out by now. I already know we're missing the playoffs this year, but if we miss them again next year I want him and GMGM gone.

Edit: Did anyone see this goal from Datsyuk last night?

He deked out all 5 skaters for the Preds!

In Lindy Ruff's defense, he hasn't had a great team the last 2 years.

Holtby has been really inconsitant all year. He was great in Hershey. Not sure what happpened. Great to see Ribeiro showing up this year. He didn't like being in Dallas at all.

That's another highlight reel goal by Datsyuk this year. Goal of the year cantidate.

It's going to seem surreal without Lindy behind the Sabres bench but between the fans and media, a lot of people had been calling for his head for weeks. I had a feeling that he (or the GM) was going to get the axe after the horrible start.

As much as I respect Lindy as a coach, it seemed clear that his players quit playing for him last year as well as this year and that a change was definitely inevitable. Although it is too bad that a good coach has to go because some of his players are overpaid, lazy underachievers.

However I don't imagine that he will be unemployed for long and I wish him luck with whichever team hires him...just as long as it's not in our division!

The past two Saturdays the Devils have started Hedberg, who plays amazing the first period of the game and then in the second starts to make sloppy mistakes. The defense also hasn't been up to par lately and Volchenkov shouldn't of left Ovechkin open yesterday. I have a feeling Hedberg won't be starting for the next few games after losing his past 2 starts.

I feel bad for Columbus since their top 3 players, Johnson, Anisimov, and Dubinsky are injured. I have a feeling they will get destroyed tonight against the Blackhawks. However if they somehow pull off a win against Chicago talk about a plot twist!