TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

^I don't think that is totally true. They are slighty more valuable than you or I as employees to our companies. I'd say a star player making $10 million/year easily returns that investment to their owner in ticket and merchandise sales.

^ True, but then the player who makes $10 million for playing a sport asking for more $$ is just being greedy.

The average salary in the NHL is what, $2.1 million per season? Including paid-for travel, per-diem, medical and I'm sure tons of perks. That's an amount most of their fans could only dream of making.

It's just greed all the way around. Pure and simple greed.

^^Is it really greed? If you're in a profession that is as physically demanding and dangerous as being an NHL player, you'd be foolish to not maximize your income while you are still healthy and in your prime. They're only one big hit, puck to the face, slash to the knee, etc. away from having no earning potential as an NHL player. Then there is also the fact that if you are an elite NHL player, there are literally only a handful of people in the world that can match your skill level to replace you.

On the flip side, the owners still rich no matter what happens. Even if their team is losing money, these are guys who made their fortunes elsewhere in other business ventures.

Edited by Jew

I've never really seen greed as an issue in sports like other people. It's a supply and demand issue. There is a demand for elite players and the market is going to determine their value. Not everybody can hit a baseball 450 feet and those who can have a certain amount of demand behind them, if an owner is willing to pay that amount for the player then so be it.

It's definitely greed, but at the same time, NHL players don't make anywhere near some players in other sports. Look at Albert Pujols for example, or Peyton Manning, and the NFL season is only 16 games long.

Hockey players are better off then football players on average. Football players don't have guaranteed contracts, and tend to have shorter careers.

I had to dig through my browser history to find it, this is a decent comparison of the CBAs for the major pro sports leagues.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2012/08/26/20143281.html

I'm going to be honest, I blame the players the most for this.

Yes, the owners are greedy, but they should be. They are the ones putting up all the $$ and the risk. The players, despite what they think, are simply employees of their respective teams. Nothing more, nothing less. Period.

A lot of fans are supporting the players on one hand while complaining about ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, merchandise prices ... it all goes hand-in-hand. The more the players get paid, the more we are going to get paid. Period.

I would agree to all of this, except for one problem:

The owners are trying to cut current contracts by 25%. Contracts that were negotiated in good faith, and are legally binding. Now the owners want to throw all of that out the window without at LEAST grandfathering in the current signed contracts. No matter which way you cut it, its fucked up.

In the end, yes, its millionaires arguing with billionaires. But when one side pulls a stunt like that, I have a difficult time supporting the owners - regardless of the rest of the issues. In my book that makes the owners no better than thieves right now.

The players should drop to 50% share on hockey related revenue with the owners, that way its fair all around. But its not that simple, and its always going to be something they fight about in CBAs.

As to those who say Bettman is just the mouthpiece, I disagree.

In Section 6.3, his duties are spelled out as having "responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the League", co-ordinates matters between member clubs and serves as the principal public spokesman for the League. The Commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, League committees, interpretation of League rules, appointment of League staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers.[2] The Commissioner also determines the date and places of Board of Governor meetings.

That means that he has control over the meetings, where they are, what they talk about, etc. He has to sell the owners on network deals, revenue sharing, and other money related items while dealing with any major disciplinary problems or scheduling issues. The man controls the league. Of course the owners get some say, but that's like saying the Speaker of the House has no authority other than to call meetings. Bettman is, and forever will be crap. The owners keep him around because he tells them what they want to hear, and forces the policies he feels will get the league to where he wants it to be down everyone else's throats. The owners need to wake up and realize that every time a CBA has come up they have locked the players out. The person in charge of negotiating these contracts is Bettman, he talks to both the NHLPA and the Board of Governors. If he can't do his job and keep the game moving forward, then why is he still around?

Everyone needs to stop whining about money and just play some hockey. It is ridiculous that the fans have to deal with this again.

QFT. It's really unfortunate that the fans are losing out in this dispute. Without the fans there would be no money for the owners and players to argue about.

Everyone needs to stop whining about money and just play some hockey. It is ridiculous that the fans have to deal with this again.

QFT. It's really unfortunate that the fans are losing out in this dispute. Without the fans there would be no money for the owners and players to argue about.

In fairness, the Owners probably don't need the $$. Most have other ways of making $$ other than Hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

^It's all going to come down to how "hockey related revenue" is calculated. If the owners changed that formula, it's not really a fair deal. That's why the NHLPA is taking time to respond...to read all the fine print.

The NHL wants a $10 million drop in the cap, with only one "transition" year allowed at the current cap. That's going to mean big pay reductions for all future contracts, so basically the NHL's offer was nothing more than a PR stunt.

^^Each KHL team is allowed to pay one NHL player whatever they want, so long as that person is of Russian decent and plays on the Russian national team. The KHL salary cap is around $38-40 million, so NHL 3rd and 4th liners can still make a decent living if they can live with the less luxurious lifestyle of KHL vs. NHL.

^Bettman+Fehr=disaster.

No side has made a meaningful proposal yet. That 50/50 split was nothing more than a PR stunt, since it asked the players to deduct from their share of the revenue as the solution for honoring their current contracts that would exceed the new cap.

• 1 month later...