TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Sharks fail. Smith played amazing, 31 shots saved. Sharks are my team but I'm a goaltender at heart. So when I went to the wild game I was happy backstrom was playing.

THAT'S RIGHT!!! GO YOTES!!! Sorry, I have to rub it in a little after this severe beating you guys handed us earlier this season . I haven't heard much out of Backstrom this year, how's he playing?

Backstrom's record is 5-4-2

Hardings is 4-1-1

Personally I don't look at records and stats because every goalie has an off game. I'm a half glass full when it comes to goalies. Man we pummeled your goalie (assuming your a coyote fan). It was like he had the force with him. So yea I follow goalies because I am one and I adapt multiple styles into my own. Haven't perfected it completely yet but then again my team can't play for shit. (low level hockey)

^Yes I am a Coyotes fan that was a bitter loss for our season opener with the 6-2 loss or whatever it was. Smith really didn't stand a chance that game, facing 50+ shots and a very porus defense. Backstroms record is where I'd expect it to be, he's always been one to play quietly then pull an amazing performance out for a game then back to hiding haha. That's awesome you play goalie too, I played growing up because I was the only one in our group who was willing to stand in front of a puck and went on to hold the best record in our league for 5 seasons I think. I'd love to get back into it and start playing again but time and money play a huge factor.

I want someone to explain to me why Crosby is on the All-Star ballot when he hasn't played a minute on ice yet Tyler Seguin who has 11 goals and is +14 isn't. I'm not hating on Crosby in this instance but come on. How can you vote for someone who hasn't played and might not play for another month or more? I also want to know why Brian Elliot isn't on the ballot despite having a .947 save percent and 1.49 GAA. I also want to know why Mike Green is on there and not Dennis Wideman when Wideman has twice as many points as Green.

Because he's the NHL poster boy. I don't agree with it either, but it's how the NHL is giving the fans what they want. Imagine if Gretzky or Orr still played and were in the same situation; people would cry bloody murder if they weren't on the all star ballot.

I want someone to explain to me why Crosby is on the All-Star ballot when he hasn't played a minute on ice yet Tyler Seguin who has 11 goals and is +14 isn't. I'm not hating on Crosby in this instance but come on. How can you vote for someone who hasn't played and might not play for another month or more? I also want to know why Brian Elliot isn't on the ballot despite having a .947 save percent and 1.49 GAA. I also want to know why Mike Green is on there and not Dennis Wideman when Wideman has twice as many points as Green.

Because he's the NHL poster boy. I don't agree with it either (the only good thing Crosby has ever done was score the gold medal goal against the USA in the Olympics), but it's how the NHL is giving the fans what they want. Imagine if Gretzky or Orr still played and were in the same situation; people would cry bloody murder if they weren't on the all star ballot.

I personally think Ovie is the best player today.

Don't get me wrong, Crosby can play VERY well and is fun to watch. Ovie just touches so many more aspects of the game, not only can he score but he's insanely fast, can hit, pass and even drop the mitts if he wanted.

If Ovechkin starts shooting more and stop trying to beat double and triple coverage he could be a perennial 50-60 goal scorer. There was never a question in my mind that Ovechkin is the best player in the league. Plus Crosby is VERY fragile, and a crybaby. He will probably be hurt again before the All-Star game and miss another year.

This whole thing about Ovechkin and Boudreau is getting me worried. Boudreau is telling Ovechkin that the way he is playing right now isn't working and that he needs to change his game, but Ovi doesn't want to change. I think that Boudreau needs to make a bold(and undoubtedly HIGHLY controversial) decision to sit Ovechkin for a game to stick it to him that he needs to change his game. He may have been able to toe drag around the defense in his first few seasons, and he did, which is how he scored 65 goals that one season. It just doesn't work anymore, the other teams know how to beat him. He needs to start passing the puck to his teamates, he needs to shoot more, he needs to get off the point on power plays and get to the front of the net to tap in rebounds.

He may have been able to toe drag around the defense in his first few seasons, and he did, which is how he scored 65 goals that one season. It just doesn't work anymore, the other teams know how to beat him. He needs to start passing the puck to his teamates, he needs to shoot more, he needs to get off the point on power plays and get to the front of the net to tap in rebounds.

If Ovechkin starts shooting more and stop trying to beat double and triple coverage he could be a perennial 50-60 goal scorer.

Which one is it? Change his style, or keep being stubborn? You can't even make up your mind. He is also being lazy on defense. To me you can't be the best player in the game if you are half-assing it...if he wants to prove a point, you would think he would actually want to play effectively with "his style" instead of tanking it because he doesn't like a coach trying to get his team to play better.