TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

I was not sarcastic at all. Holtby is the best goalie the Caps have had since Kolzig. He might even be better than him. He was incredible in March last season. He made some saves that rival the best in the past decade, like this against Tampa:

His numbers were outstanding last season, despite a horrible first few games. I think making him the starter would be a smart move.

Well to do that you'd probably have to trade one of your current goalies. Sending either of them down to the minors would put them on waivers, and you'd lose them for nothing.

No sense trading or waiving Vokoun after one bad game. He wasn't brought in for nothing.

Injuries though would be a different story. Maybe then you'd see Holtby.

^ That was painful to watch live. I can hardly view it now :-/

As for the Caps goaltending situation, we're fine. Honestly, look at Carolina's goals on Neuvy - they were all three pass/four pass goals that our D should have interrupted that are difficult for ANY goaltender to track. Neuvy will be fine, especially after he gets his early season kinks out.

Vokoun worried me against Tampa. 3 TERRIBLE, fluky goals that would have been easily fixed by hugging the post or keeping his pads together. But, after seeing his performance in Pittsburgh tonight I'm a bit less concerned. I don't like how slow he is to recover, and he doesn't seem to track the puck nearly as well as Neuvirth. He did make some spectacular saves though, and two goals on 30 plus shots ain't too shabby.

TL;DR - We're fine in goal. Our D needs to step it up some (which they did against Pittsburgh), and our top line needs to produce (particularly on the Power Play).

Other than that, we look solid. The 3rd and 4th line look and play phenomenally, Semin is playing some of the best hockey he's played in years, and Ovi is finally getting physical. Its way too early to call anything a disaster.

I wouldn't say that Holtby is better than Ollie Kolzig, heck, I wouldnt go as far as saying he's their best goalie right now. Varlomov had one of those great rookie runs like Holtby had last season, then flopped for a few seasons. Except now, McPhee must be kicking himself for trading Varlomov after the start hes had for the Aves.

Bitch move by Asham going after non-fighter Beagle, stupid move by non-fighter Beagle to accept the challenge. That was not how we wanted our first fight of the season to go.

All three games so far have gone to overtime and I do not like it.

I wouldn't say that Holtby is better than Ollie Kolzig, heck, I wouldnt go as far as saying he's their best goalie right now.

Really? 10-2-2, 1.79 GAA, .937 save %. If he plays like that for around 60 games, I estimate he might have at least 30 wins, around a 2.15 GAA, and around a .925 save %. Easily Vezina numbers. That, of course, is complete going-off-on-a-limb guesstimate. But I really think that, maybe not this year, we should eventually make him the starter. That is just my honest opinion.

On an unrelated note, I think it was a highly classy thing that the Caps and Pens did teaming up to raise money for the Lokomotiv victims. That is the reason I actually wanted Malkin to play, so he and Ovie could do the ceremonial faceoff together.

Asham was doing his job. You don't take runs and shots at star players, like Beagle did with Letang, and get away with it unscathed. I don't think he really had a choice on whether to accept the fight or not.

I want to know how much Beagle's jersey is going to sell for in that auction.

Asham was doing his job. You don't take runs and shots at star players, like Beagle did with Letang, and get away with it unscathed.

Beagle did not take a run at Letang. Letang cross checked him repeatedly and got away with it. I know what I saw, my dad knows what he saw, and thousands of Caps fans know what they saw. Beagle did not go after Letang, it was the other way around.

Asham was doing his job. You don't take runs and shots at star players, like Beagle did with Letang, and get away with it unscathed.

Beagle did not take a run at Letang. Letang cross checked him repeatedly and got away with it. I know what I saw, my dad knows what he saw, and thousands of Caps fans know what they saw. Beagle did not go after Letang, it was the other way around.

I saw it too. You can see the whole thing in the first ten seconds of the video above. Repeatedly? Hardly. If anything, Letang gave him ONE shove, but the puck was against the boards, and during board play where players are trying to hold their ground and create space there is a ton of pushing and shoving going on. Beagle immediately turned around and gave Letang a shot to the head, knocking his helmet off. It really isn't much more straight forward than that.

Even IF he did, which I am pretty sure he didn't, it is pretty much an unwritten rule to NOT go after someone wearing a visor who has never fought before. If I were Boudreau I would put King and Erskine in the lineup next game against the Pens and just beat the living bejueezus out of Asham.

I wouldn't say that Holtby is better than Ollie Kolzig, heck, I wouldnt go as far as saying he's their best goalie right now.

Really? 10-2-2

That's exactly why he's not better than Kolzig yet (I say yet, because lord knows I hated Kolzig).

I'm not going to comment on the antics after the fight, but he apologized. The fight itself was stupid, and the Pens got lucky he didn't take an instigator for it. Beagle could have ignored him, taken the penalty and moved on. He chose to fight, and now we have this.

I'm with FtF on this one, not just because we're both Penguins fans, but cuz I know what I saw too. Letang and Beagle we're having a perfectly-within-the-rules battle there along the wall until Beagle knocked off Letang's helmet. And thats what I consider making a run at a star player. So Asham did what he is paid to do, defend his teammates. Challenging Beagle to a fight was by no means a "bitch move," and it was Beagle's fault for leaving himself open for those two slugs to the jaw. I get that he's clearly an inexperienced fighter, but he shouldnt have accepted the challenge of a longtime heavyweight.

Im in Asham's corner, he did nothing wrong. Although the little taunt at the end was a bit excessive.

Good lord, now Tyler Kennedy has a concussion. It sickens me knowing how much more dominant and better this team would be if everyone were healthy...hell, even if only half of everyone hurt were healthy. I wouldn't doubt now if Winnipeg's first win comes against the Penguins tonight.