TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Unfortunately, it looks like we have more to add to the list.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375297

PLANE CARRYING KHL TEAM CRASHES, KILLING 36

MOSCOW -- A Russian jet carrying a local hockey team crashed Wednesday while taking off in western Russia, killing 36 people and leaving one critically injured, officials said.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the Yak-42 crashed immediately after taking off from an airport near the city of Yaroslavl, on the Volga River, 240 kilometres northeast of Moscow. It said one person survived the crash with grave injuries.

The ministry said the plane was carrying the Lokomotiv hockey team from Yaroslavl.

The team was heading to Minsk, the capital of Belarus, where it was to play Thursday against Dinamo Minsk in the opening game of the season of the Continental Hockey League.

The CHL is a league of several ex-Soviet countries.

Former NHLers on the team roster include Pavol Demitra and Ruslan Salei and the coach in Canadian Brad McCrimmon. But it was not known whether they were on board the plane.

McCrimmon, 52, is a native of Saskatchewan. He played defence for six NHL teams -- Boston, Philadelphia, Calgary, Detroit, Hartford and Phoenix from 1979-80 to 1996-97.

He played 1,222 regular season games in the NHL, collecting 81 goals, 322 assists and 1,416 penalty minutes.

He was an assistant coach with the New York Islanders, Calgary Flames, Atlanta Thrashers and Detroit Red Wings. He also served as head coach of the Western Hockey League's Saskatoon Blades.

Reports on twitter are saying that everyone on the main roster, plus 4 other players were on the team. That would include Demitra, Salei and coach Brad McCrimmon.

My condolences to the friends and family of all those lost.

EDIT: Former NHL Player Alexander Karpovtsev is an assistant coach with the team. Also there are reports that Colby Armstrong`s brother Riley may also have been on the plane. Information is pretty sketchy right now regarding this incident.

EDIT: As per Red Wings blogger Mark Spizzirri:

Among the NHL alumni on Lokomotiv's roster as of July 9: Josef Vasicek, Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Ruslan Salei, Karlis Skrastins and Red Wings goalie prospect Stefan Liv.

Former Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Brad McCrimmon was listed as their head coach.

Some good news though. It was confirmed that Riley Armstrong was not on the flight. Also confirmed that Lokomotiv forward Alexander Galimov survived the crash.

So the Coyotes just released their TV schedule with Fox Sports AZ and I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. 65 of 82 games will be televised, 29 of those will be on the plus channel that isn't on basic cable, plus 4 games on Versus. As a struggling team wanting/needing to get their product out to the locals you'd think they'd air a few more games. I find it odd that almost everybody I talk to in this city enjoys the concept of hockey but the team has no support. Of course this is coming from a converted Wings fan where hockey is the sport of the city. How does everybody else feel about their teams this year?

The leafs since the all star break were the 4th best team in the east. Over the off season they added Liles, Connolly, Lombardi and Franson. Plus with their young players continuing to improve, the Leafs should grab one of the last couple playoff spots in the east. The biggest question will be the goaltending. Reimer is young but has shown alot of calmness and composure already. I have confidence he'll be the guy.

Two things...

1. Anyone want to buy the Dallas Stars? They're up for auction.

2. Someone should tell Drew Doughty that to be a teams highest paid player you actually have to progress, instead of regress and be out of position all the time on defense/not score as much...

While it is depressing that Crosby will be missing quite a bit of time still, I breathe a little easier knowing that Evgeni Malkin is returning in full health and the best shape of his life. Anyone see his offseason training videos on NHL.com? The dude is one of the greatest stickhandlers I've ever seen. If he could have a season like his Art Ross year this year, it would soften the blow of losing Crosby.

Either way, the Penguins are still a playoff team. If James Neal can find that scoring touch that he had with Dallas and Kris Letang has a season like his all-star year of last, its pretty clear that we'll compete for a division title. And, when Crosby returns, a Cup.

^Is Crosby still out from the hit during the winter classic or did I miss another hit?

The leafs since the all star break were the 4th best team in the east. Over the off season they added Liles, Connolly, Lombardi and Franson. Plus with their young players continuing to improve, the Leafs should grab one of the last couple playoff spots in the east. The biggest question will be the goaltending. Reimer is young but has shown alot of calmness and composure already. I have confidence he'll be the guy.

Do you guys still have Gustavsson in net? I remember watching him play one game as a rookie and his technique and ability blew me away.

^Gustavsson will start the year as Reimer's backup. He's definitely got talent but has had his health issues to deal with so it's been hard for him to develop. I could see him playing 20 to 25 games assuming he plays well enough.

Or he could do this every game and take the starting job...that would be fine too.

^^I think that's the game I saw him playing in Personally I think he's one of the beytter up and comers in net. As for the yotes, losing Bryz in net was a huge hit but picking up Smith from Tampa and LaBarbara's performance last year when he had to step up, I think we'll get alright. The best thing I've noticed that Smith has over Bryz is his puck playing game, every time Bryz got out of net to play the puck I got nervous

^ The big question mark for Gustavsson is his health. He's had three heart operations, and there's no telling if the problem will return. He really needs to prove himself this year, as he basically hasn't made any progress since coming in as a rookie due to all his bad luck.

I could see Reimer and Gustavsson both playing good this season, and then Gustavsson getting traded. We don't really need two young up and coming goalies, and Burke is known for letting players go to get them an opportunity to play.

Well the heart problems he had was an elevated heart rate. It's supposed to be fixable. So really, if the surgeries were successful he shouldn't have further problems. But it's just a big unknown if the problems are gone for good yet or not.

The real problem is that because of those surgeries he really hasn't been able to develop his skills further.

Lombardi is playing hardball now...good for him.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375938

REPORT: KINGS' OFFERS TO DOUGHTY TO DECREASE AS HE MISSES TIME

It appears that any future offer from the Los Angeles Kings to restricted free agent Drew Doughty will take into account any time missed.

According to lakingsinsider.com, any new contract offer will decrease for every day of training camp the young defenceman misses.

Kings general manager Dean Lombardi said that, because players now get paid for training camp as part of the latest Collective Bargaining Agreement, the number of days Doughty holds out must be factored in to the team's contract offer. Based on the $6.8 million per year offer the Kings have made, that means a reduction of almost $25,000 for each day he is absent from camp.

"The problem we have, and we're going to have to see how this evolves, is that generally with a player, you establish his market value and he signs up for 275 days of work," Lombardi told LA Kings Insider. "That was the one thing that changed during the CBA, that players were paid during training camp. So, quite frankly, it's the way we have to approach this. Let alone missing a day or work, as well as getting behind your teammates in terms of preparation. It probably makes this a little more difficult, but you have to factor that in now. You're not getting a full year's work as of today."

Lombardi went on to say that he feels the contract originally offered to Doughty, the team's first-round pick, and second overall in 2008, was a fair one.

"There's no doubt in my mind we can look Drew in the eye and say this is a fair offer," Lombardi told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun in an interview on ESPN.com. "It's out there in terms of where (the offer) would put in in the league as a defenseman and where he is on our team. That's our best offer. That's fair to say. What we put out there is out best offer.

"I don't want to get into the intricacies what we offered, in terms of the minute details," Lombardi told the website. "It's safe to say that, as far as the big picture within the league, we certainly made him an offer that puts him amongst the top defencemen in the league. Then you look at your team. It's no secret that he would be at the top of our team.

"The third thing that's critical to us is the allocation. Where we're at now, we certainly stretched the limit in terms of paying him amongst the top players in the league, paying him appropriately within the team's salary structure and, most importantly, being able to keep this group together."

And while negotiations don't appear to be very encouraging at the moment, Lombardi ended by saying he isn't worried about losing his young, star defenceman.

"There's no doubt this kid loves the game and loves this team," added Lombardi. "It's disappointing. It's not that I'm not encouraged that he's going to be here.

"Even before we made our trade (for Mike Richards) and went through free agency, this was our number-one priority. This is a home-grown boy and a key part of this franchise.

Doughty's agent Don Meehan declined comment when asked about Lombardi's comments.

Lombardi said he hasn't shut the door on talks with Meehan.

"We're always open to talk," said Lombardi. "The dialogue remains open."

But Lombardi isn't sure the last offer will remain on the table now that Doughty has missed the start of camp.

"We have to look at scenarios because he's missed a day of work now," said Lombardi. "There has to be some finality. This has been a long process. We started this in June."