TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Hell yeah Bruins!! I'm still too pumped to go to bed yet! What an awesome game!

PS - the footage from Vancouver is awful. I would *hope* if we lost that Boston fans would not be that extreme... obviously there would be people upset in the streets and whatever (and probably some troublemakers), but fires like that? I really don't think it'd be that bad. But then again, who knows...

GO B's!

Come on Vancouver. Even the fans in the arena were very good sports and stayed through the celebration the congratulate their opponent. You were looked on so well during the Olympics and all the way through the playoffs and now you had to be that stupid.

I'm not sure what Vancouver's next step will be now. Luongo wasn't the only player that needed to be better, but he was the biggest issue hands down. They can't buy him out, unless they wanna pay him 36 million over the next 22 years for not playing (http://bit.ly/fubH5N), and I can't imagine anyone will want to take on that contract, that is of course if Luongo would waive his NTC to begin with. They are basically stuck with him, so they are going to have to hope he can stay focused and they can get another shot.

Vancouver, putting the "A$$" in class since 1994.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369127 (Watch the video on the right "A Shameful Night")

Basically the police chief of Vancouver says that it was anarchists disguised as Canucks fans that were the main perpetrators. Granted many fans did get involved afterwards. The other thing to take into account is that 150,000 people were in the streets watching the game. Lets say only 10% of those people got involved, that's still 15,000 people. The point is, you can't blame the entire city for something only a small percentage of the population was involved in. What they did is shameful and inexcusable, and it's a complete embarassment to Vancouver and all of Canada, but I think the reaction in the arena is really telling too. Most of the fans stuck around after the game to congratulate the Bruins. Also over 17,000 people joined a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219286898091948) to help clean up the city. Vancouver is a great city with great people, but unfortunately some last night had to tarnish that.

Edit: What a dumb s*** (http://mashable.com/2011/06/16/vancouver-2011-tumblr/)

What happened to the Sedin twins? They've basically been the regular season MVP's the past two years, but were virtually invisible in the finals. Oh, and it was nice to see Henrik make an attempt to score by himself instead of passing again on one of those 2on1's. Nonetheless, Bruins deserved it. They outscored the Canucks by a wide margin, the PP was better, goaltending, it shoulda taken less than 7 to win with those landslide numbers.

As a Canadian, I would just like to say that the people in the video DO NOT represent my country.

They also DO NOT represent the province of British Columbia, the city of Vancouver, the Vancouver Canucks, or the sport of Hockey.

A real Canucks fan would have been upset, but would wear their jerseys with pride knowing that their team had the best record in the league during regular season play and put up a fantastic fight in the post season. The people in the video are no better than the Dbags protesting in Toronto last year during the G20 and are making people ashamed to be Canucks fans, citizens of Vancouver, and even citizens of Canada.

I've heard a few news stories now saying people went with the intent of rioting (apparently one jackass took a truck just so he could flip it), which makes me believe that whatever the outcome of the game was, this still would have happened....which is a real shame for the true hockey fans in Vancouver.

I've seen some videos of people standing up to the crowd of looters and rioters only to be taken to the ground and kicked by everyone in sight and when someone tries to help they get pulled away by a friend because they dont want to get involved....sigh.

chemical_echo - Yeah, I've been reading the news reports that there were people literally geared-up to start riots, which is scary... such a shame to ruin it for people that are just there for the game. I feel awful for the people that got hurt by getting caught up in it... everything about it was so unnecessary!

As a Canadian, I would just like to say that the people in the video DO NOT represent my country.

They also DO NOT represent the province of British Columbia, the city of Vancouver, the Vancouver Canucks, or the sport of Hockey.

Trust me, I understand your anger concerning these dbags, but I don't quite agree with your statement. While they certainly don't represent all of Canada, B.C., the Vancouver organization, or hockey in general, they ARE representing the city of Vancouver. I'll explain.

Here's my thoughts on the situation. If you are a citizen of Vancouver, Boston, Toronto, Sydney, London, Miami, etc., etc., by default, your actions serve to represent your place of residence. It's each individual's own responsibility to carry him/herself in a proper, respectable manner. In good or bad acts, you are ALWAYS representative of where you're from.

For example, take for instance a show like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The show focuses on the week-long efforts of a group of community volunteers that come together and help build a new home for a family in need. Throughout the production it is clear that these volunteers represent Anytown, USA through their actions, thus leaving the viewer with a sense that the specific city/town must be filled with good people, right?

Now flip things. The actions of a group in Vancouver on Wednesday night cast an unfavorable shadow over the entire city. Is everyone in Vancouver a thug? Of course not, but what's disturbing, and quite honestly doesn't help their case, is that the thugs that chose to represent their city in that manner only helped to cement an image of "what's possible if Vancouver loses." Had this not happened in 1994 following the same scenario (Game 7 loss in the Finals), it may not prove to be as significant as it may be in the following weeks/months/years. But the fact that it has now happened twice creates an unfortunate sense of doubt for any future visitors to the great city of Vancouver.

Think about it. From this point on, if you're a visiting fan during the playoffs, is there not at least a tiny bit of your brain somewhat concerned about your personal health and safety just from showing up and supporting your team?? Let's face it, 99% of Vancouver's fan base can be considered good people, but because certain individuals decided to represent their city in a despicable manner now leaves the team and the city with an unfortunate public relations nightmare.

And concerning the riot itself, there's something else to consider as well. I realize it's human nature to stop and gawk at anything out of the ordinary. However, it should be noted that the crowd of onlookers doesn't help matters. Rioters play to a crowd. And these days it's a double edge sword. On one hand, thousands of onlookers are able to capture the events with cameras and help to bring justice to those involved in the crimes. BUT, if the crowd had simply dispersed, what's left? Rioters and cops. Simplifies things, no?

I'm not saying everyone's guilty, but I'm not saying they're entirely innocent either. Realistically they didn't do much to help the situation. Just look at the following pics. Take away the crowd from the background, and it becomes a handful of jacka$$es committing crimes. WITH the crowd, it looks slightly different. There's the rioters directly involved in criminal acts, and within the onlookers there's folks who sympathize but don't wanna get their hands dirty, mindless sheep, and people who are disgusted at what they're seeing and using their cameras to document it for lawful purposes.

Can you positively tell who's who in the crowd? I bet the rest of the world can't either.

Bottom line - Vancouver's still a great place, and one city I'm very anxious to visit one day. Fact remains though, we're all equally responsible for representing our own hometowns in everything that we do, and because of events like these, Vancouver has a lasting impression that's tough to permanently erase.

On a lighter note, this year's NHL and NBA playoffs have helped to create a wonderful new term.

Go B's!

canucks-fans-riot-16T045525.jpg.083d2fbb68b2fbd69c240c695451d448.jpg

canucks-fans-riot-16T050223.jpg.695e64a520a7a926622e8d8607148d30.jpg

canucks-fans-riot-16T055320.jpg.fc8b7ea5e6b1947a3b22708114ade991.jpg

2011-06-16T054845Z_01_VAN919_RTRIDSP_3_NHL-STANLEY-CUP.jpg.088073b9361f1b3b01e7713d9ac93789.jpg

"Hi, I was born without a brain."

^ I saw that on the news today. Apparantly the girl was hit with a baton and her boyfriend went in to comfort her/give her a kiss. The picture makes it look like more was going on.

^^You make some very valid points, and I do agree that many (most) of them are from Vancouver and everything they did just shed a horrible light on the citizens of the great city. But I also think that many people also went from other places just to cause problems. If people like causing trouble and know that there's a possibilibty of a riot (like a home team possibly winning or losing the playoffs in a very passionate city) they'll go to that city just to be a part of it.

Also, I came across this forum today. People are posting pictures from people's facebook's and other social media sites of the user bragging about what they did. I hope they enjoy getting charged for what they did (Warning - language)

There are also a few Facebook groups dedicated to posting pictures and videos so citizens can help identify people to the police. I've seen one YouTube video where the highest rated comment is someone basically saying "I know the two people in this video causing trouble; I've already notified the VPD."

I love how a lot of the proud fans and citizens of Vancouver are coming together to clean up the city and identify people in pictures and videos.

Note to Vancouver rioters: Try losing four Super Bowls in a row, Music City Miracle, 10+ years of no NFL playoffs & losing a Stanley Cup on a botched referee call & then try not to feel too much like giant douchebags about what you did after losing ONE Stanley Cup Final.

I respect the citizens of Buffalo for holding their composure during the last twenty years of our sports failures...although maybe it's because we've all become old, fat, lazy alcoholics who are just too tired & deflated to go out and flip cars over after yet another epic sports choke job!

^^ Yeah, without question, social media is the silver lining for this whole debacle. Seeing these asshats who posted about what they did face charges is gratifying.

^ Possibly a hopeful little side note for ya: Out of my four best hockey-playing friends growing up, three of us have now celebrated the Cup in the last three years. A Penguins fan, a Blackhawks fan, and now me with the Bruins. That fourth friend? I'll let you guess who he roots for.

^ I will say that I'm definitely excited about the Sabres next year! They have some fresh young guys that made an impact this year, a good goalie & an owner that wants to win bring the Stanley Cup to Buffalo in the worst possible way.

I think they are only a decent defenseman and a grizzly veteran away from good things. I think that they look similar to the Bruins (minus Chara, of course) and it seemed I remembered that their season series was pretty tight.

Edit: Bryzgalov done as well, 9 yrs, 51 million.

HOLY PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369796

FLYERS DEAL RICHARDS, CARTER IN SEPARATE DEALS

One day before the National Hockey League's Entry Draft and the Philadelphia Flyers have made drastic changes to the face of their club.

In two separted deals on Thursday, the club traded away their captain Mike Richards and former 46-goal scorer Jeff Carter in separate deals.

Richards was sent to the Los Angeles Kings for forwards Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and a second round draft pick, while Carter was dealt to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Jakub Voracek and a first and third round draft pick.

Richards, who was named captain of the Flyers in 2008, is coming off a season where he scored 23 goals and 66 points.

The 26-year-old forward had a career high 31 goals in 2009-10 and was signed through the 2019-2020 season with a $5,750,000 cap hit.

Last season, Carter scored 36 goals and 66 points, he also had two points in six playoff games as the Flyers were eliminated by the Boston Bruins in the first round.

The 26-year-old forward was drafted by the Flyers 11th overall in the 2003 Entry Draft and had a career high 46 goals in the 2008-09 season.

Carter, who has 11-years remaining on contract that will have a cap hit of just over $5.272 million will give the Blue Jackets a much needed scorer to play along side their captain Rick Nash.

The 21-year-old Voracek recorded 14 goals and 32 assists in 80 games last season, after recording 16 goals and 34 assists in the 2009-10 season. He is currently a restricted free agent.

Voracek was drafted seventh overall by the Blue Jackets in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

The 22-year-old Simmonds was selected by the Kings in the second round of the 2007 Entry Draft and has played three seasons in the NHL, with a career high 16 goals in the 2009-10 season.

The 19-year-old Schenn was the Kings fifth-overall pick in the 2009 Entry Draft and played nine games in Los Angeles during the 2010-11 season.

By dealing Carter and Richards, the Flyers have opened up more than enough cap space to sign recently acquired goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, who is set to become a free agent on July 1.

The Flyers acquired the rights to the 30-year-old Bryzgalov, two weeks ago in a deal with the Phoenix Coyotes. Philadelphia shipped over a third-round draft pick in 2012, forward Matt Clackson and future considerations.

I understand Carter, but the captain also? I know they needed to make cap space, but still. Richards is one of the most underrated players and captains in the league. They got some great young talent, but now they have to start from square one again with extremely young players, and hope to develop them correctly until they're at the level of Carter and Richards. By then Pronger and Timonen will probably both be gone, leaving Bryzgalov with not much help in front of him, and the Flyers with little cap space to bring more help in (that's if they want to re-sign Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, and whomever they draft 8th overall).

Watch out for Columbus. That one-two punch of Carter and Nash is going to be deadly.