TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

7th team in Canada, soon to be 8!

I think Bettman's annoucement would have been much better if it was just "I''m an idiot; the NHL should have never left here."

I've read people are starting to buy up domain names of websites that may become possible team names. Manitoba Thrashers, Falcons, and Bears have all been bought.

I'm really hoping they keep the Jets name, but part of me is doubting that.

If you see pictures from Atlanta's playoff season, we had the place filled to capacity.

Doesn't this sentence pretty much sum things up? Twelve seasons, ONE playoff appearance, not a single playoff victory, and their 20 fans (give or take a few) are bitching about relocation? Please.

Atlanta may not have had the huge market like some teams, but even teams like the Penguins and Chicago once had problems also and were on the verge of relocation.

Attempting to compare Atlanta to Pittsburgh or Chicago deserves a 10 minute misconduct, hefty fine, and lengthy suspension from this thread.

If the Atl spirit could give us a great product, the fans would come.

And if I was born in Canada, I would have grown up on skates and possibly been starting in net for the Bruins. If "ifs & ands" were candy and nuts.......

Seriously, this hick town is only really concerned with three things: college football, Braves baseball (and face it, they're even pretty fair-weathered with that), and NASCAR. Be thankful hockey lasted a decade.

My only disappointment is that it wasn't Phoenix first. Maybe Gretzky had a bet that they'd stay in the desert?

Anyway, one down. Phoenix, Nashville, Carolina....hopefully you're not far behind.

Congrats, Winnipeg!!

EDIT: Sorry, edh, that came off kinda harsh. I do sympathize with real fans who lose their team. I just hate Atlanta, and I'm really glad Canada is getting what is rightfully theirs.

Being a Thrashers fan (get it right) I think it completely sucks losing a franchise now for the second time. I wasn't old Enough to be around for the Flames but the whole reason I started watching hockey was the Thrashers. I watched nearly every game on tv or went to one every time I went to Atlanta. It wasn't the city that failed, it was the owners who aren't competent enough to put together a winning team and actually spend money on them. If you see pictures from Atlanta's playoff season, we had the place filled to capacity. Atlanta may not have had the huge market like some teams, but even teams like the Penguins and Chicago once had problems also and were on the verge of relocation. If the Atl spirit could give us a great product, the fans would come.

I know there were others like you in Atlanta and to you guys it must suck. While I don't think Atlanta is the best hockey market, the owners definitely didn't try hard enough to win. Sorry it didn't work out in Atlanta, but Winnipeg really deserves this.

It seems the Thrashers couldn't wait to Jet out of Atlanta.

I guess it was just a layover before the team Jetted back to Canada.

OK, enough of the crappy puns.

It really does suck for the Atlanta fans, 'cause it seemed like the Thrashers were a good fit for them. And their arena is really nice, too. Suck to have lost an NHL team once, but twice is really tough.

I think the most interesting part, though, will be the inevitable conference re-alignment. I'm hoping that the eastern-most Western Conference team - my CBJ - get transferred to the Eastern Conference to even it out. I still hold that the reason we play so crappy is because we play half our games in a different time zone, and the travel time wears us out by the middle of the season.

Anyway, one down. Phoenix, Nashville, Carolina....hopefully you're not far behind.

Your kidding right?

Those two teams are well supported and successful. Moving them would be one of the dumbest moves the NHL could make.

As for Phoenix, Bettman will keep them where they are at until Seattle can get an arena.

Your kidding right?

Those two teams are well supported and successful. Moving them would be one of the dumbest moves the NHL could make.

As for Phoenix, Bettman will keep them where they are at until Seattle can get an arena.

I agree. Carolina has a wonderful exciting fan base, as whenever I go see a Hurricanes game most of the seats are filled, and the place gets pretty loud for a place where hockey is not that popular of a sport. I think that the Canes have just as much longevity as many of the other big name teams in the league.

^ And I'm sure the good people of Hartford are more than happy for those folks down there. Screw 'em. I say send the Whalers back where they belong.

All you guys who are pining for the few real fans in Atlanta, but you seem to forget that this already happened to several well-established cities already, with much worse consequences. Think of the true fans from each of the following cities who supported their teams even when it became no longer "economically viable" to host them, only to see 'em relocated and soon thereafter win the Cup in a city with new, undeserving fans. My heart still goes out to Hartford, Minneapolis, and even Quebec.

So cry me a river, Atlanta. You weren't a good enough hockey city the first time around, so what made that ownership group and Bettman think it would work a second time? Please. And as I was saying, places like Carolina, Dallas, and Colorado lucked out by winning a Cup not too far into their existence in a new home. If each of those places had struggled the way Atlanta had, believe me, their "loyal fan base" wouldn't be as strong as what it seems.

Take the Florida Panthers for instance. Although the team was built from the ground up, it's NOT in a hockey city. It lucked into a Stanley Cup Finals run in its third year of existence, therefore building a quick bandwagon fanbase. That good fortune afforded them the opportunity to build a new arena under the false pretense that people were "really enthusiastic about hockey," and would continue to support the team through thick and thin. I lived through it, and I can tell you personally, that's BS on the highest level. It's a downright miracle that team still exists where it does!

Phoenix is another case-in-point. Had they won, or had a deep run at the Cup, they would've been able to pull the wool over the league's and ownership's eyes a bit longer. As it is now, they're a laughing stock. And heck, they even had "The Great One" at their disposal........and have still failed miserably.

In Colorado's case, it may be a bit of an exception. Much like Atlanta, they previously had a team prior to the Avalanche (stupid a$$ name), but unlike Atlanta, they're more suited for hockey, AND were lucky enough to win early.

And as for Nashville, just wait. The fans are there now.......

I could go on and on about how Bettman has destroyed a once-great league through ignorant moves based on projected bottom line returns in a blue sky scenario dreamworld, but I'm not sure it's worth it. In a nutshell, over-expansion brought this all on, and because of it, you ended up with filler teams like Nashville, Atlanta, and Columbus, which only watered the league down even more. With Atlanta's move back, and Phoenix and Florida still questionable for the future, it only confirms the cycle of ignorance from the league office.

Scott "this subject obviously grinds my gears" B.

Once Quebec completes their new arena one of the aforementioned teams will be moved there; that's a fact.

After that the NHL needs to stop kissing the ass of MLSE and allow a second team in Toronto. I guarantee that a 2nd Toronto team would bring in tons of season tickets and cash from merchandise. There will still be the faithful Leaf fans, but a whole second fan base would emerge.

I'm actually very curious to see how hockey does in Winnipeg this time around. They have a newer arena, which will help the bottom line...but since Winnipeg is such a small market, maintaing valuable corporate accounts might be tough. Let alone the fact that the Thrashers still need to be completely rebuilt before having a chance to win...will Winnipeg support a losing team?

^^^The truth of the matter is, with the exception of the Canadian teams, if you don't put a good team on the ice, you're not going to do well in that city. Even in an original 6 city like Chicago, their attendance numbers were way down in those years they were rebuilding before they won the cup. A place like Carolina may not be a hockey hotbed, but it works because they have good ownership that tries to win. It definitely helps that they won the cup once, but I don't believe that is the only reason they have survived and have done generally well. The Thrashers only made the playoffs once in their history and got swept in the first round. On top of that they had horrible ownership that didn't really care. There was no one in Atlanta that wanted to keep the team their so they moved.

Even in an original 6 city like Chicago, their attendance numbers were way down in those years they were rebuilding before they won the cup.

It didn't help any that they had an old crack-pot of an owner.

I bet even Toronto's numbers suffered a bit during the Harold Ballard years.

The truth of the matter is, with the exception of the Canadian teams, if you don't put a good team on the ice, you're not going to do well in that city.

It happens in Canada too.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkrhZ4wegpc

And the video below was from 09-10 when the Senators were a Playoff team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xefGe4kXLVU

Congrats to Winnipeg, I say! I'm glad to see them get a team back and also agree that Hartford and Quebec City should get their teams back too.

Granted, it would be a tough sell for Carolina to go back to Hartford, but I seem to recall the year that the Canes won the Cup, they couldn't sell out the first couple of games of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Sabres. Fans in Buffalo were irate that they were not allowing Sabres fans to purchase tickets to the arena in Raleigh/Durham because Canes ownership worried that there would be too many Sabres fans (relocated) cheering for their team instead of their own. Now that the Canes have won a Cup, the fan base has picked up and attendance has somewhat stabilized.

Just like Canada, Buffalo has a rampant hockey fan base. We almost always sell out games...just like the Bills sell out even though they have sucked for 10+ years. Like, what else is there to do in Buffalo in the winter, but watch hockey and football??? The same can be said for Winnipeg too!

Well that was quick...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367846

TRUE NORTH REACHES 13,000 SEASON TICKET GOAL IN WINNIPEG

It didn't take long for the fans of Winnipeg to throw their financial support behind their NHL team.

True North Sports and Entertainment reached their goal of selling 13,000 season tickets shortly after tickets went on sale to the general public on Saturday.

"The success of the campaign is a key ingredient to ensuring the sustainability and long-term viability of NHL hockey in this province," said Jim Ludlow, President & CEO, True North Sports & Entertainment. "We look forward to seeing everyone this Fall at MTS Centre for opening night of regular season NHL hockey in Winnipeg."

Up until Saturday, only season ticket holders of the former Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League could purchase season ticket packages. Over 7,000 season tickets were scooped up by Moose fans before the general public made up the difference in a matter of minutes on Saturday.

The team is now compiling a waiting list for fans still looking for season tickets.

^^ Just to add to that story; once the public sale started tickets sold out in 4 minutes.

They reached the cap of 8000 on their waiting list soon after.

DAMN! What, is that like 21,000 tickets in like a matter of minutes? The stadium can't really be any bigger than that. Then again, I guess it really isn't that much of a surprise that it sold out so quickly, I mean how long has it been since Winnipeg moved to Phoenix? I guess the public there wanted to prove that there is still a big enough fanbase to support a team. But damn, 21,000 tickets? It is going to be absolute madness inside the stadium the first game.