TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point Questions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way Maverick will get an hour over three hours. And as far as other rides go? Millennium Force may be longer since it is on the way to Maverick. I would say everthing opposite of the park will be dead. Have fun marathoning Magnum and TTD!

If you havent been to the park before, I suggest you dont post here.

I beg to differ. When Mantis opened up, we waited almost 5 hours to ride it on opening day. Keep in mind, it's been 4 years or so since Cedar point opened a coaster, and 7 years since it opened a "traditional" coaster (TTD is a one-trick pony, and much like an impulse like WT which followed it). I think it will be crowded to say the least.

Your best bet is to realize that it doesn't matter when you ride it (OMG First Rider Ever!!!!), the coaster will be there for you all season. As stated before, I'd hit every other coaster in the park that day, hitting TTD or MF first. You'll probably have a much better day than spending half of it in line.

-James Dillaman

I'd go to Maverick first, but just go in and expect a long wait (2+ hours at least). TTD had a very long wait do to it running three 10 seat trains (the ride is meant to run five 18 seat trains). MF also opened with only 2 trains, the yellow train wasn't ready yet. Basically, capacity of those two rides had a lot to do with those long long waits. There's no telling how or what kind of shape Maverick will be in on opening day. It's LSM system kind of scares me after TTD and WT's issues.

I've only read about it, but opening day at CP is usually a bit rough. The rides are still getting warmed up after the long offseason and the crews are all new.

On another note, I'm going on May 14 (the first Monday of the season) just as I have done for the past three years and I never waited over 5 minutes for any ride.

And since you live close by, I'll probably see you since I will be working on Power Tower for the summer.

I'm going to Cedar Point opening weekend. And I'm definitely going for Maverick.

Lines could be bad, but oh well. I wonder if it would be a good idea to hit Maverick later in the day, after doing everything else. They could be jerks and shut down the queue early though.

If you can, you might want to skip Maverick the day you go. You might waste half of your day in line. But, with Maverick opening, that may also mean less lines at the other rides.

Stop assuming the worst. I've been to Cedar Point on busy days and 6+ coasters had less then 45 minute waits.

Maverick will probaly get easily I'm guessing a 2-3 hour wait, 3 1/2 hour wait at the most. I'd hit Maverick first thing and run to the ride, when my family goes this May that's what I'm doing first as a have my right foot on the park pavement. HAUL ASS TO MAVERICK!

but, I went when SkyHawk opened and the lines weren't that bad at all, all the frontiertown stuf was crowded but the rest was barely full.

Have fun and maybe I'll just see you this spring and fall at CP!

CP doesn't shut the queue down early. In fact, it is likely they'll will keep the queue open for an extra 15 minutes after closing. They've always been very good about that.

I've even heard stories when TTD was down the entire day, the maintenance got it running a hour before the park closed and they kept the line open for over a half hour after the park closed to sort of apologize for the downtime.

CP is a great park.

Like I said I'm just going to get all my rides in on everything but Maverick during Saturday cause eveyrones going to be there, then I'll squeeze in a night ride just before the park closes. Then on Sunday hopefully the lines will only be about an hour or two during the morning so I can get one ride in. Then of course double back at closing.

I know right....

I like your avatar Spartan. Wouldn't it be so cool if Pwer Towers cars actually traveled up past the top and actually went over and started to descend down the next spike... upside down! Man that would be so fun. But falling moeny and hats everywhere.

Isn't the season pass processing centre open before the park opens for the season?

If so, I would get my pass before opening day so you don't have to stuff around on opening day. I would get the Joe Cool add on as well because that gets you an hour ERT every day on rides like MF and Maverick.

And if you are going to go for maverick first, go to the Marina Gate that would be closest to the ride.

Living in Sandusky would be nice in summer, winter might not be everyone's cup of tea though.

If so, I would get my pass before opening day so you don't have to stuff around on opening day. I would get the Joe Cool add on as well because that gets you an hour ERT every day on rides like MF and Maverick.

I was thinking that they might not include Maverick yet in the resort guest/Joe Cool ERT, due to problems with some other coasters *cough* *cough* *Dragster*. But, I was wrong.

http://resorts.cedarpoint.com/public/resorts/index.cfm?resort_id=2

Early access pass includes Maverick, Millennium Force, Raptor, and Skyhawk. This is, of course, for the resort guests, but I'm pretty sure that the Joe Cool ERT is the same as what they give the resort guests.

I wonder if this will be the case on opening day.

If I were you, I would hit all the other coasters BESIDES Maverick on opening day while the huge crowd heads down to that end of the park. Raptor, Millie, and TTD will have much shorter lines and you'll be able to go on them multiple times (hopefully) while the stampede heads for Maverick. You'll have plenty of time on a weekday or a less busy day to get your Maverick fix considering you live in the park's backyard. be sure to attend a coaster event to take advantage of ERT. Have fun!! We'll be expecting lots of photos considering you live so close.

Just moved to Sandusky. how lucky are you...

I thought about applying for jobs in the Cleveland area just so I could be closer. The wife said no

I've actually been thinking the same thing. Jobs are hard to come by up here in Detroit and I would love to live close to an amusement park. I think I'm starting to turn into a coaster junkie.

Ok, here's my solution and most people already know this, but in Ohio school's are all in session until at least the first week of June. Cedar Point opens May 14th for pretty normal hours. Try to go during those times if you can, there is no one there but all us losers who are able to be "absent" from work while the kids are still in school. One tip though, check the website ahead and DON'T go on the day it says is Physics & Math day, that day is RIDICULOUS as all schools are invited. Other than that, if you can get there in the first 3 weeks it's open, it's a pretty easy adventure.

^Thanks for info, especially that Physics & Math day tidbit. I plan on going for a couple days the week of May 14-18. I checked their website, specifically the "Today in the Park" page under the "Plan a Visit" tab. It doesn't say anything for that week. Does that mean I'm cool, or is there somewhere else on CP's website I should check? Thanks again, Skramp!

Ok, here's my solution and most people already know this, but in Ohio school's are all in session until at least the first week of June. Cedar Point opens May 14th for pretty normal hours. Try to go during those times if you can, there is no one there but all us losers who are able to be "absent" from work while the kids are still in school. One tip though, check the website ahead and DON'T go on the day it says is Physics & Math day, that day is RIDICULOUS as all schools are invited. Other than that, if you can get there in the first 3 weeks it's open, it's a pretty easy adventure.

This actually sounds like a really good idea. I think I'm going to shoot for a May 13th through 15th trip now. Whatever crowds I run into on Sunday will be made up for by the park being totally dead on Monday and Tuesday.

Now I'm just trying to figure out where to stay. My original reservations are for Breakers Express, but now I think I should consider staying closer to the park. Sandcastle Suites is not an option, as it doesn't appear to be open that early in the season.

Does anyone know if the "Bon Air"/original wing of Hotel Breakers is as bad as people claim it is? I checked a few travel review sites, and the consensus seems to be that it is an absolute PIT. Should I pay the extra money to avoid the original wing?

i'm gonna meet up with a few other people the weekend starting 06/16 to 06/17. no other dates possible, so i will have to live with whatever the crowds will be

i don't remember where i read the following words: any day at cedar point is better than a day at work

^^ We're staying in the Bon Air section on the Mid-West trip this summer, and from what people have said (including Robb and Elissa) it really doesn't seem that bad. R&E have us all convinced it will still be an amazing experience, and I don't doubt it in the least. You've always got to take those travel ratings with a grain of salt. People will only ever post GREAT experiences, or HORRIBLE ones. You've got to try to pick out for yourself where the happy medium is.

Don't expect a 5 star hotel, but also don't expect a complete PIT as you've said. You're really not going to spend that much time in the hotel anyways.

But having said that I've only stayed at Breakers Express in the past and I've had absolutely no problem with that hotel. As long as you've got your own car and are driving to the park it's a totally viable option for that time of year. The parks close a bit earlier, you won't be using the beach at breakers unless you feel like freezing in Lake Erie, and you get free parking and early park access still.

It's up to you really. I'm incredibly excited about the thought of staying in even the Bon Air section of Breakers this summer, but I also wouldn't have a problem returning to Breakers Express in other trips in the future too.

^^ We're staying in the Bon Air section on the Mid-West trip this summer, and from what people have said (including Robb and Elissa) it really doesn't seem that bad. R&E have us all convinced it will still be an amazing experience, and I don't doubt it in the least. You've always got to take those travel ratings with a grain of salt. People will only ever post GREAT experiences, or HORRIBLE ones. You've got to try to pick out for yourself where the happy medium is.

Don't expect a 5 star hotel, but also don't expect a complete PIT as you've said. You're really not going to spend that much time in the hotel anyways.

Thanks for the input, but I actually will be spending a decent amount of time in the hotel. The park closes at 7 PM on both nights that I'll be staying in the hotel. It looks like it's about $50 for two nights to avoid Bon Air, which might be worth it. Who wants to pay $125/night to possibly have to walk up to the third floor? I've never heard of a hotel without an elevator, and I've stayed in some real dumps.

You're right about taking travel reviews with a grain of salt, but there are several scathing reviews about Bon Air. That sounds more like a consensus than a few angry idiots with unrealistic expectations.