TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Myspace linked to poor grades

SharkTums

Calif. Study: MySpace.com Linked To Poor Grades

More Local News

A California researcher may have found another reason for parents to monitor their kids' internet use.

A study by a Fresno State professor says there is a connection between poor grades and social networking Web sites like MySpace.com.

The survey of more than 500 students from three Fresno area high schools found that 72 percent of students with MySpace accounts reported their grades were significantly lower this year compared to last year.

Unsettling modern trends

Here's a news release I found rather interesting, though it didn't surprise me by any means.

It seems a professor at California State University, Fresno, did some research regarding MySpace, the social networking site. Her study is also applicable to other means of communications as well, such as cell phones, text messaging and the like.

Parents may want to take note of what follows:

"High school students who spent significant time viewing social networking Web sites such as MySpace, text-messaging on cell phones or instant-messaging on computers often saw their grades drop," according to research by a California State University, Fresno professor.

Dr. Tamyra Pierce, of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, surveyed 517 students at three high schools in Fresno and Sanger.

"Their surveys found 49 percent of students responding reported lower grades than last year. Students with MySpace accounts - 72 percent (371 students) - reported their grades were significantly lower this year than last year, compared to students without MySpace accounts, meaning the probability is less than 1 out of 1,000 times this would occur by chance," Pierce said.

"We can't know for sure that MySpace caused the lower grades," Pierce added, "but when compared to other after-school activities (work, sports, video games, etc.), only MySpace showed significance."

More than half of the students surveyed said they check their MySpace accounts at least once a day, and 59 percent spend between 30 minutes and six hours daily on MySpace, Pierce explained.

Does anyone else find this troubling? I suppose this is one of the consequences of living in a high-tech, modern world nowadays. But there's more:

42 percent of students who have MySpace accounts said they "always," "frequently" or "sometimes" have MySpace open while doing homework.

41 percent of the students who have text messaging capability said they text message while doing homework. More than three-quarters of students surveyed had cell phones, and more than 81 percent of them had text-messaging capability.

Of 353 students with instant-messaging capability (68 percent of the survey group), 27 percent said they have IM open while doing homework.

34 percent of students with MySpace accounts said they put off homework to spend time on MySpace.

Pierce said students who had MySpace accounts open while doing homework and students who "put off" doing homework to be on MySpace reported lower grades on current report cards than students who did not.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what. So many people try to explain why kids have so many poor grades now a days. Wanna know what its cuz freaking America doesn't want to admit that there kids are lazy. Some fat. And get bad grades because were not motivated. If you wanna blame this on something. Blame it on the fact that the freakin School Board doesn't invest in our education. Just look at China and Japan there the smartest people ever. Yet they have all this technology and myspace. They just blame myspace for AMERICA'S problems. Personally I think America is just to proud of itself to inform people to know. Hey we have the laziest kids and the fattest country HOORAY. They just try and blame myspace for this when its not that because myspace is a world wide thing. Personally when I grow up I am moving to Iceland. The place no one thinks about in wars or anything like that. And I hear its B-E-A-U-tiful!

I believe it lol

I have a bebo account which is similar to myspace but much popular over here in the UK. I fins myself logging on when I should be studying and before I know it Ive been on for an hour and got no work done.....

^I was in Ireland 2 weeks ago, It is very beautiful in the countryside, as long as you don't mind being an hour or two away from civilisation lol!!

lol this is y i dont hav a myspace it all it cms 2 b cazing is problems like ppl hu tlk like this.

I don't like Myspace, because it's digging itself deeper and deeper into a hole of problems.

For example; I noticed that after last year, when Myspace became really popular around my school, I noticed that everyone there seemed to be getting more annoying than usual.

I talk on AIM a lot, and go on sites like this a lot. It doesn't affect my grades because I don't let is affect me. I also almost always talk like this. With correct grammar, etc.

Also, my parents raised me right! I'm sure that Robb and Elissa will do the same with Kristen. All things in moderation, if you are going to use it.

I used to sit next to a "Myspace whore" in History last year. She said that after school, she immediately goes to her computer, and goes on Myspace for 3 hours. Hmmm, makes you think...no?

I'm sure Myspace isn't that bad if you use it in moderation, but still, I like to stay away...

Don't like texting, either. It's easier to call.

-Mike "Old news to me, but it might wake some people up." J.

P.S. Not trying to offend anyone, just stating my feelings about the site.

This survey is crazy. Grades aren't dropping just because of myspace, it just turns out that some people who have myspace had grades that dropped. Normally school gets more difficult as the years go on. I do believe that for some people myspace could be a reason, but not for most. Most kids just don't care anymore and don't realize the importance of school. I have a 4.3158 GPA, and I have a myspace. It definitely has NOT been any reason for a grade dropping in any class.

I agree, this survey is ridiculous. Every time something new comes along that catches kids' interest, whether it's Elvis, comic books, video games, or good old TV (the cause of many evils), it gets blamed for corrupting kids or causing them to get lower grades. MySpace seems to be the latest target and explanation for all kinds of evil in the world.

By the way, my grades were not that good in high school or college- I didn't play games, use drugs, or even drink--- I was just plain L-A-Z-Y. As someone pointed out, sadly, we seem to be a nation of underachievers.

You know what. So many people try to explain why kids have so many poor grades now a days. Wanna know what its cuz freaking America doesn't want to admit that there kids are lazy. Some fat. And get bad grades because were not motivated. If you wanna blame this on something. Blame it on the fact that the freakin School Board doesn't invest in our education. Just look at China and Japan there the smartest people ever. Yet they have all this technology and myspace. They just blame myspace for AMERICA'S problems. Personally I think America is just to proud of itself to inform people to know. Hey we have the laziest kids and the fattest country HOORAY. They just try and blame myspace for this when its not that because myspace is a world wide thing. Personally when I grow up I am moving to Iceland. The place no one thinks about in wars or anything like that. And I hear its B-E-A-U-tiful!

I really think it does just come down to distraction. I mean, this week, I've basically been sat at my computer almost exclusively ATTEMPTING to work on essays. I could have had every essay I have to write this entire semester done if I had been working consistently. Instead, I get distracted by TPR, other sites, Facebook, my email, etc, and spend easily half (if not more) of my time doing that instead. The only difference between me and the kids who gave the results in that study is that I'm old and mature enough to realise that at some point, I need to knuckle down and actually drag myself away from the distractions and work. It's all about willpower and self-restraint. Some weekends I self-ban myself from any fun sites until I've written a certain number of words. Works for me! *shrug*

Studies by Scientists In Fresno...

My Poor Grades (I Have a 3.0 Now!)

And On that note...I have nothing else to say

Actually Elissa, And others, I will admit. Myspace was actually a HUGE distraction in my grades. I don't do it hardly as much, and school work gets done. They are totally right 100%. TPR was also an issue, thus, I have cut back on that too! So Elissa, Ill say it, Your right! And so are those damn Fresnonian Scientists!

-Ryan....