TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knott's Great America

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an even worse idea, they should rename KI to "Don Knotts Island". They can rename Face/Off, a movie nobody has ever seen in the history of the world, to "Three's Company: The Ride". Why? Because it makes about as much sense as this move.

Thats almost as funny as the new name idea

From a corporate perspective looking for high marketability, it makes sense to attach Knott's as a prefix to Great America...but like everyone here has already pointed out, it just makes no sense and sounds absolutely horrible. Sure, "Knott's" has become a brand identity over the past few decades, but "Knott's" was derived from the entire title "Knott's Berry Farm" (the name is exactly what it sounds like) and it makes no sense to use it any other context, prefix wise or not. Walter Knott did not own a "Great America" nor do I think any member of the Knott family is familiar with Santa Clara.

Are we sure that name is going to be used for anything other than to link the two websites? I've seen no other evidence or a press release confirming anything other than "Great America".

Can we wait until it's official before getting are panties all bend out of shape?

I've always thought Great America was a strange name for a park anyway. To me, Knott's doesn't sound any better or worse than Paramount or Marriot's.

I agree that simply Great America sounds best, but if that's not an option....I guess adding the Knott's name is one way to keep the Great America name.

Wow, this is a really odd turn of events and an even stranger sounding name. I have grown up with this park. From the Marriott's Great America days, all the way through KECO and Paramount and now Cedar Fair. It has always been Great America in some form but I truly don't understand this Knott's thing. How is this park related to Knott's? It's like when you have two really different things and you try to put them together and it just doesn't work. A lot of people talk down about this place but I don't care. This is my home park and I will always support and defend it no matter how silly or rediculous things may become. I only hope that this means there are only good things to come. Because to me, this will ALWAYS be GREAT AMERICA.

...WTF?! There still -ARE- ways CF can degrade Kings Island! Oh jeez....I am scared....

Not everything is about KI.

This name change is because of the "Great America" name being copyrighted.

KI isn't going to become Knott's Kings Island.

I don't think it is so terrible. There was a time when we had Knott's Camp Snoopy. I am not sure that that worked any better. Besides, I think most people will still call it Great America, just like most people around here hav called PKD Kings Dominion, even when it was owned my Paramount. I would guess they are only doing it because of the copyright. But like I said, I don't think it is so bad, they already have all of their other Cali parks called Knott's something or another.

But like I said, I don't think it is so bad, they already have all of their other Cali parks called Knott's something or another.

That comparison doesn't work as well considering there is only one other park.

Plus as far as I know Great America lacks a high profile chicken restaraunt outside of it's gates.

They should put the name "Knotts" in front of all of their parks- Knotts' Point, Knotts' Fair, Knotts' Adventure, and then they should build an all new park...

Knotts' Landing!

ooo ooo ooo...another one....Knotts' Fun

Yes I'm quoting myself...deal with it!

I have too long off for lunch at my job so I discovered how to make this work...CF should buy Adventure Landing in JAX and then the world could say hello to Knotts' Landing- that would be soooo awsome!

Btw- is it Knott's or Knotts' I beleive that I have seen it both ways or is it just me- which is quite possible!

Looks like it's official. From the Dorney Park website:

http://www.dorneypark.com/public/trip_planning/season_pass_central/

New for 2007! For an additional $10 per pass you can purchase a new Cedar Fair Maxx Pass! A Cedar Fair Maxx Pass is good for admission to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom and the other 12 Cedar Fair amusement parks, including Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH; Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA; Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon, MI; Valleyfair! in Shakopee, MN; Worlds Of Fun in Kansas City, MO; Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom in Aurora, OH; Kings Dominion in Richmond, VA; Carowinds in Charlotte, NC; Kings Island in Mason Mills, OH; Knott's Great America in Santa Clara, CA; Canada's Wonderland in Toronto, Canada; and Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, CA. There is a parking fee at the 12 other parks for Season Pass holders.

I don't really care about how stupid it sounds, people will get over that (*ahem* Wii).

I'm more dissappointed because, even though Knotts was bought by Cedar Fair, it still had a somewhat indapendant feel to it. Whoring the name out just kills it for me.

Sure people will get used to it, but I know me pesonally I will forever call it "Not Great America" or "Not So Great America."

It's just a reminder of a decision made without much through process.

Wii on the other was a decision made with a LOT of thought process, and created nothing but positive buzz after the initial shock, which as of today has not stopped.

I cannot see that happening for Knott'so Great America!

I agree with you about the whoring out the name part. And what bothers me even more is how CF bought Knott's, and have managed to remove quite a bit of what used to make the park "Knott's."

--Robb "I highly doubt that CF focus tested the name before changing it." Alvey

But like I said, I don't think it is so bad, they already have all of their other Cali parks called Knott's something or another.

That comparison doesn't work as well considering there is only one other park.

Plus as far as I know Great America lacks a high profile chicken restaraunt outside of it's gates.

I ment also the three water parks as well since they too are called Knott's. Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I ment