TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soeren wrote:

the last time you visited Heide Park, Scream was an observation tower? But now it is the highest Giro Drop Tower (110 meter) worldwide. I like the tower so much, and I think Elissa will like it, too.

I have to argue that fact. You shouldn't count the massive needle into the freefall's height, in my opinion.

What Now wrote:

OMG! That was the scarriest thing ever. Why did Knott's remove their's?

...because the towers tended to snap and fall over

Well nobody has mentioned my home park's Giant Drop aka "Tower of Doom" - probably cuz it is the second shortest Giant Drop in the world (at about 150 feet, cars rise to 140). The only Giant Drop smaller is Gardaland's tower which comes in at a whopping 121 feet!

Tower of Doom (at Six Flags America; Largo, MD) may be small, but it's quite a rush because the length of brakes is very small. It feels like you just stop like 10 feet off the ground. While it's a great freefall, it's not my favorite, however.

Edit: Tower of Doom was originally planned to be 180 feet, but the height had to be shortened due to the county's restriction in 1996. The height restriction has since been raised for SFA (obviously, as they now have the 200 foot Superman)

-kip-

sfatower.jpg.e0b2d8bdc35f6340b722d29d96100df1.jpg

This picture was taken by Joe Schwartz. Visit his website and see his beautiful pictures at http://www.joyrides.com

Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror is probably my favourite, sure it's only drops like 100 feet but the bizzare story and great theming makes it quite memorable. Also the fact the restraint is not very restrictive (okay, a bit more with the new seatbelts) and I remember riding it when it was lapbars with a like 300lbs person and being my scrawny self not being in contact with the seat during any of the drops.

The Golden Tower at Christmas Market. Is is SBNO during the winter months, even though the park is open, so they rig it up with this wonder of a light system. It changes over the night, going from looking like molten metal to being more like world's largest ice tap. It cannot be captured on mere pictures. It must be experienced.

A far more plain picture, this still doesn't really do justice to the real ride. It is 60 m. tall, and being in the middle of a major city really improves the feeling of height. A great ride.

My favorite one that I've been on:

And this is the one I was going to ride two years ago when I went to Georgia, but SFoG was closed.(stupid summer break)

Yep. I wish I could've ridden this ride to test my slight fear of heights.

--Davon "I hate going to parks during summer break" Dorsey

I also like this one:

It scared the heck out of me when I rode it.

It was so scary, I saw this guy about to cry before the launch.

I wouldn't blame him. I nearly cried too!

But all I kept saying in my head during the launch was, "Are we at the top yet?"

--Davon "my heart was beating super hard before the launch" Dorsey

I also like this one:

It scared the heck out of me when I rode it.

It was so scary, I saw this guy about to cry before the launch.

I wouldn't blame him. I nearly cried too!

But all I kept saying in my head during the launch was, "Are we at the top yet?"

--Davon "my heart was beating super hard before the launch" Dorsey

*Feels very special*

Personally I've only been on SFA's, Indiana Beachs and Cedar Points...

All of them are good but I must say that Power Tower got to me a lot more than the other two. Double Shot at Indiana Beach is just fun, not scary at all. Rode it 5 or 6 times in a row, what a riot. Power Tower is downright scary. I only rode the "up" side and I managed to scream for what felt like a lifetime, take a breath and yell "holy shit when are we going to stop going up" before I saw the cap up there and we started floating back. Now only if that was a double shot, damn that would be fun.

ride "S&S makes excellent towers" 6

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I enjoy S&S towers and stuff, but they don't get the job done like Intamin towers do. I always have to switch back and forth on my favorite. Acrophobia at SFOG is just crazy and amazing, but at the same time, DZ at PKI is insane. Pretty much, the longer drop, the better.

For the sheer thrill of the ride, it has to be the Giant Drop, but I won't post a picture as I am sure Slick has done that to death. If the themeing of the ride is included in the overall ride, then it has to be Space Probe with the cover and screens at the top of the tower, I know why Elissa liked it so much.

Don't worry Elissa, it might get a second life somewhere, and pigs might one day fly!

• 11 months later...

Man I could not believe PKD's Drop Zone got such little love....long fall and alot less wind resistence due to the redesign of the saucer from PKI's "parachute"...plus the Brakes are really low on PKD's DZ

Note in the photo how the wind is allowed to flow through the saucer and how PKD decided not to install all the brakes

JEFF

DSC05986.thumb.JPG.0559fc50def76642e3250e2f726aa9fe.JPG