TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

Demon Drop will probably always and forever be my number one drop ride. Currently coming in at a very close second is Acrophobia, the only "big" drop tower I've been on.

But now that I have gotten over my unrealistic fear of drop towers (thank you Acrophobia) I'm really looking forward to Drop Tower at Kings Dominion this year!!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all drop tower rides are a lot of fun! It's pretty much my favorite type of flat ride. However Id have to say Falcons Fury at BGT is my favorite! I mean you face down at the ground and that makes it even more scary which in turn makes it more thrilling! My second favorite would be Drop Tower at Kings Island even though I haven't been there in years.

1. Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

2. Intamin Gyro Drop (King's Island)/ Intamin Ring Drop (King's Dominion)

3. Giant Drop, SFGAm (Love the randomized drop sequence!)

4. Intamin 1st Gen (Nagashima, SFMM)

5. Intamin 2nd Gen (CGA, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland)

I really want to ride Falcon's Fury, Acrophobia, Blue Fall and Mega Drop on top of Canton Tower in Guangzhou!

Canton+2.jpg

I posted in this thread a few years back, so I'll update my list.

1) Tower of Terror (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

2) Tower of Terror (California Adventure)

3) Acrophobia

4) Lex Luthor / Zumanjaro (I think I prefer Luthor more because of Superman shaking the tower)

5) Any ARM/Larson Tower

6) Mach Tower

7) 2nd Generation Intamin Towers

8) Gyro-Style Seating (3rd Gen?) Intamin Towers

9) First Generation Intamin Towers

10) S&S Combo Towers (Marineland's Sky Screamer is probably higher up)

11) S&S Turbo Drops

12) S&S Double Shots

13) S&S Space Shots

My first drop tower, they just had to blow it up. RIP

Credit: rcreride.com

#SadDay That was also my first drop ride, and it was amazing.

I never been on an old school drop tower. However they look really neat. I'd like to try one out one day even though there isnt many left. Actually i dont know what parks have one. I just know Dorney has CP's old one. To bad CP still didnt have theirs I could of tried it out when i went. Also the idea of an amusement park have TWO main drop towers is pretty awesome!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Dorneys is the only Intamin first gen left in the U.S. yea?

It's the only one left in North America, and one of two left in the Americas.

There's only 6 of them operating now if I remember correctly.

What really broke my heart was when a rumor was flying around that Knott's was going to get Demon Drop from Cedar Point. It was going to be in the old Haunted Shack area. I was so stoked. There was an upcharge attraction there at the time, I can't remember the name, it had 3 towers and took you up super fast. It had a pretty sweet name. I only rode it once during Halloween Haunt with my girlfriend at the time, and it was pretty awesome. Then something happened where either the public or enthusiasts starting making a big fuss about Demon Drop coming to Knott's, and it never came to be. Instead they put the Screamin Swing upcharge attraction instead which is now gone. And now apparently, there's supposed to be a stage there.

I will say the first gen Intamin drop towers are one of the only rides I'm nostalgic about. They were absolutely terrifying, even only being 10 stories tall. The technology that Intamin had to go through at the time was ridiculous. And during the ride there was so much clunking and noise, which only added to the experience.

Freefall leaving Magic Mountain to be replaced by nothing hurt as well. I feel like Riddlers was designed around that tower and is perhaps why it is such a good stand up coaster.

There's absolutely nothing graceful about those rides. Everything is brutal and very industrial, even the appearance of the ride gets a reaction of "I'm not riding that death trap" from most people.

I swear Intamin purposefully designed every aspect of that ride to terrify you.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my fiance on demon drop... thankful for me there was no line and she didn't really look at the ride so she had no idea what to expect. When it started to creep forward at the top she had the biggest WTF is happening look on her face. Then we dropped and ended up on our backs and she was in disbelief. She is not normally a fan of drop rides but she loved it!

Between that and my first experience on falcon's fury (where her mom yelled "*UCK A DUCK!!!" at the top of her lungs as it started to tilt)...

I don't know.

1. Lex Luthor/Zumanjaro (they both feel identical to me)

2. Drop Tower at Kings Island

3. Supreme Scream at Knott's

4. Every other S&S combo tower (Power Tower, Scream at SFNE, Rocket at Lagoon)

5. Demon Drop at Dorney (honestly, the 1st gen Intamin drop didn't quite live up to the hype IMO)

6. S&S double shots

I really need to get on a large-scale ARM tower soon. I've been on the super tiny ones at carnivals, but they were the 60-80 foot versions that didn't do much for me.

EDIT: I forgot the little Intamin one at SFA. Squeeze that in between #4 and #5.

I took my fiance on demon drop... thankful for me there was no line and she didn't really look at the ride so she had no idea what to expect. When it started to creep forward at the top she had the biggest WTF is happening look on her face. Then we dropped and ended up on our backs and she was in disbelief. She is not normally a fan of drop rides but she loved it!

Between that and my first experience on falcon's fury (where her mom yelled "*UCK A DUCK!!!" at the top of her lungs as it started to tilt)...

I don't know.

Whats with moms yelling *Uck a Duck!!?? My mom says that sometimes too. Its so weird and funny at the same time! Whats with moms and their "unique" love for ducks??? lol Well the real question is where did that phrase even originate from....its so random!! I get it rhymes but still...

I don't have one favorite, but I have a few that are, in my opinion, clearly far better than any others...

- Larson/ARM drop towers

- Falcon's Fury (Not that forceful but the tilt to face down before the fall is insane!)

- Acrophobia (Forceful and the stand up and tilt to it makes it feel crazy like Falcon's Fury)

- Demon Drop (all of these 1st gen Intamin free falls are amazing and it is sad only one is left in the US)

• 3 months later...

Panic Plunge at Silverwood and any other ARM Larson, even the short carnival ones. My favorite aspect is not knowing when you are going to drop because the awning keeps you from looking up and it releases the instant it gets to the top. No stopping and waiting. And that stop. Oh my goodness!