TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

At least I get to ride a different type of tower ride after September here in Australia....and only time will tell how tall that will be.

Is that confirmed???? I have read the rumours on roller-coaster.com.au but I thought it was just speculation. It would be great if it was a launched freefall.

Personally I have been on three ... Freefall at SFMM (does that count?), Space Probe at Wonderland Sydney and Giant Drop at Dreamworld ... but I really can't pick a favourite.

I loved the funky way you end up on your back on Freefall, plus it was my first drop ride. Space Probe had great theming and the count down on the TVs in the dome with the random drop you didn't know when it was going to let go. Giant Drop is HUGE and it feels like you are falling forever

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFMM's freefall definately counts as a freefall despite the people that count them as coasters.

Oooo, all this talk about drop rides makes me want to ride PKD's drop zone even more. Does this one hold you up at the top forever like PKI's version?

SFMM's freefall definately counts as a freefall despite the people that count them as coasters.

Oooo, all this talk about drop rides makes me want to ride PKD's drop zone even more. Does this one hold you up at the top forever like PKI's version?

Not very long judging from this video http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23943

Any real "freefall" tower is good for me, they all offer a thrilling ride with unbelievable adrenaline rush's, airtime and intensity!

It ranges from Mega Drop to Detonator to Blue Fall to Dreamworlds Giant Drop, they all offer the same thing, and they work everytime, unlike say a launched coaster which at first gives me quite a buzz but after a few rides its worn off, but real freefall drop towers make me buzz everytime!!

^ Have not seen the trim brakes on the west side of the tower used for quite some time. If I had to guess it was about three years ago that I last noticed the trim on the other side of the Giant Drop.

At least I get to ride a different type of tower ride after September here in Australia....and only time will tell how tall that will be.

Please, say it will be at Melbourne's Luna Park!

^ I think S&S Space Shots don't really count because of the start launch. Turbo Drops in the other hand should count as a drop ride because other than a few differences, they are quite like other drop rides.

One difference between S&S ones and other drop rides (i.e. Intamin) is that Turbo Drops allegedly launch you down. That's right. Instant SUPER negative Gs. Your body gets shoved up into your OTSRs in a snap. And it barely registers before you're halfway down.

The other difference would be that Turbo Drops don't brake your drop but bounce you back halfway up the tower with a torrent of air. That is followed by a few more air bounces that gradually go smaller before you land at the launching pad.

Most of you should know this if you have ridden S&S Turbo Drops. And nope, I have never ridden an S&S in Marineland, let alone even heard of the park.

^ I think S&S Space Shots don't really count because of the start launch. Turbo Drops in the other hand should count as a drop ride because other than a few differences, they are quite like other drop rides.

One difference between S&S ones and other drop rides (i.e. Intamin) is that Turbo Drops allegedly launch you down. That's right. Instant SUPER negative Gs. Your body gets shoved up into your OTSRs in a snap. And it barely registers before you're halfway down.

The other difference would be that Turbo Drops don't brake your drop but bounce you back halfway up the tower with a torrent of air. That is followed by a few more air bounces that gradually go smaller before you land at the launching pad.

Most of you should know this if you have ridden S&S Turbo Drops. And nope, I have never ridden an S&S in Marineland, let alone even heard of the park.

I know that the intensity level of the S&S towers varies alot, but the two Turbo Drops I have been on were rather lame. Surely there is a short burst of ejector air at the top, but it starts moving at constant speed very quickly and the falling sensation is over. Thats why I prefer Intamin's drop towers, because they feel alot more out of control. The speed on the S&S towers is controlled, and you dont get the same intense feeling. The only S&S tower to impress me is the Spaceshot in Prater Park. It launched you 4 times and each launch gives some massive ejector airtime at the top.

This may be a rather odd preference but my favourite drop towers are Fabbri towers! My favourite ride, Detonator at Thorpe Park just happens to be one. Although only standing at 105ft the pneumatics at the top offer a punch I've experienced nowhere else.