TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

Until about a week ago it was probably Lex Luthor but now I have to go with StratosFear at Knoebels. I had moderate expectations for it but it blew me away. It feels much higher than it really is and the sustained airtime is off the charts (I also loved Big Shot in Las Vegas but it's a shot tower not a drop tower so I'm not counting it).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sheer terror? Giant Drop in Australia. I mean other than Magic Mountain there's no where else to go for that. Giant Drop and Tower of Terror have it on lock down for sure. Acrophobia and ARM towers, also with Drop Tower at Kings Island have an honerable mention.

Giant Drop better than Blue Fall? Hmmm.......

The ARM/Larson Super Shot that Butler Amusements brought in to the San Mateo County Fair today was INSANE. This was my first ride on one of these beasts, and it did not disappoint. It's only 90 feet tall, but it packs a NASTY punch. There are overhead panels that prevent you from knowing when you're at the top. Even more insane is that it will drop you immediately when the car reaches the top, and when it does drop, it does so like a bag of ACE-sized bricks. To me, it felt more like a downwards launch! The airtime on it (though brief) was just as powerful, if not more powerful than CGA's Intamin and SCBB's S&S. These were pretty much my thoughts during my first ride:

"It's so puny, how can this possibly top Drop Tower and Double Sho-- *CLUNK* OMFG! EXTREME EJECTOR AIRTIME!!!"

I am quoting a post from a year ago as I finally got to witness this form of drop tower. My first ride I did not expect much, just a shorter Drop Tower ride. Once I realized how quick you drop as soon as you reach the top (there is no hesitation, just instant drop) and how you can't see how close to the top you are, I got nervous. Yes, the drop caught me off guard and it feels like this may actually be an accelerated freefall as I actually had ejector air as opposed to just floating on the Intamin

towers...

In the end, a stubby 70' tower won over the world's tallest drop tower. Yes, I just said that.

Well, this is really getting me excited for the fair next year... the local midway provider owns one of these drop towers, but I have never gotten the chance to ride one of these. As for your comment on the accelerated freefall, as far as I know, the ARM/Larson version of the ride doesn't have one.... it just falls. HOWEVER, the Fabri version (I.E. Determinator at Thorpe Park) does use such technology.

Speaking of rides with accelerated freefalls, that brings me to my first of my two favourite drop towers... Space Shot at Galaxyland in Edmonton. Despite the name, the ride is actually an S&S double shot, which offers some crazy ejector airtime at the top of the tower. Another interesting feature with the ride is that it's indoors, which almost gives a false sense of security... I certainly know I wasn't expecting it!

As I said before, however, i could not decide a winner, so this brings me to my second top choice. Drop Zone (now Drop Tower) at Canada's Wonderland. This ride is essentially the opposite of the previous one... offering a long, slow buildup as they bring you up to the 230' level, and offers great floater air on the way down... Further widening the gap between the rides, while the Galaxyland version is fun, with a small bit of intensity, this ride is all out intense. It's probably still the only ride that scares me a bit, and the whole ride just seems really menacing... idk why, but maybe the ride just looks really intimidating because I grew up going to that park when it was the largest ride there, and everyone was scared to go on it.

Totally agree with this... Love intamin towers for the suspense, and the fact that its a pure free fall with great floater air, but also love the smaller S&S towers for their crazy ejector air after the launch.

Also, for people who are saying TOT at Disney, how much airtime do you actually get?... Is it a much as an intamin or S&S tower?

^I find it difficult to judge because you're in the dark. Seems like ToT has a lengthier cycle than most Intamin/S&S towers.

I was underwhelmed by Lex Luthor and the Drop Towers at KI/KD - for sheer forcefulness (and a superb view of Lake Erie) my favourite is definitely Waldameer's X-Scream.

^I find it difficult to judge because you're in the dark. Seems like ToT has a lengthier cycle than most Intamin/S&S towers.

I was underwhelmed by Lex Luthor and the Drop Towers at KI/KD - for sheer forcefulness (and a superb view of Lake Erie) my favourite is definitely Waldameer's X-Scream.

What I was trying to get at was, how forceful was the airtime on TOT compaired to Intamin or S&S?

• 1 month later...

Pretty hard to say since the only kind of drop towers I will usually ride are the kind that bounce - those that shoot up, drop down, and repeat. The one at Valleyfair was pretty good (I only rode the launched side, since I don't care for the kind that just take you up and drop you - IMO they are almost pointless) but it could have had more bouncing - it was too short a cycle. It was my first S&S tower so I don't know if they are all like that or not. I also liked the one at HW, but I missed the one at IB since it was closed when I was there - supposedly that is a good one but I didn't get to do it unfortunately.

Since visiting Japan, my two favourite drop towers have changed:

Blue Fall at Sea Paradise, just an amazing rush as you keep dropping ... and dropping ... and dropping! - Prefer the side with the constant drop even though the teaser drop is quite fun.

Tower of Terror at Tokyo DisneySea - The actual ride portion is extremely short and I hate the fact you have to wear over shoulder seatbelts and the whole whole safety spiel takes at least twice as long as the ride lasts but it's the whole story and experience of this ride I like. oh and it has Shiriki Utundu! - My new fav Disney character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Have to say the most intense drop tower I've done is drop zone (tower) at Canada's Wonderland. Good strong floater air, and you feel like you just barely have room to stop... Good ol' Intamin & their intensity. The ride also gives an amazing view of Leviathan from the top. It's the only ride in that park that still scares me. .. Butnot enough to keep me off it!

As for fav/just plain fun, I'd have to say Space Shot (S&S Tower) at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama. Not quite as intense as some of the S&S double shot towers, but still provides just the right mix of floater and wjector air, coupled with a great launch. Add in an awesome view of a massive rocket that dwarfs the tower, and the fact there's never a line, and you've got yourselves one hell of a ride!

PS: What's the big deal about TOT?... Great intensity?... Theming?... Both??

Superman Tower Of power at SFOT
SO TRUE!!!! When they are running in combo mode... Shot PLUS drop... It might just be the BEST drop ride EVER. The suspense at the top of the tower drives me insane.

I haven't been on many drop towers. In fact I've only been on 3: tower of terror (WDW), Dr dooms fearfall, and Mäch tower. In order i would rate them

Tower of Terror

Mäch Tower

Dr Doom's Fearfall

I felt that MT and DDF gave the same feeling, MT was just a linger fall thats why its better. ToT was just absolutely amazing every way so its pretty obvious its 1 for me

PS: What's the big deal about TOT?... Great intensity?... Theming?... Both??

If you haven't been on it, i would consider it pretty intense and the themeng is outstanding! The thing that puts it over the top for me is that it has a random drop sequences! So to answer you question both and then some

I think the drop tower at Waldameer is one of the best... I would follow it up by Tower of Terror (Florida one) and drop of doom or whatever it is called at SFMM. I think my least favorite are the Intamin gyro-drop styles... Drop Zone at KI, Dominion and Acrophobia.

I also liked Pitfall at Kennywood when you had the side looking down into the valley.

S&S towers are the worst.

Acrophobia at SFOG is my favorite, especially when the ride ops are messing with you. Drop Zone at Kings Island is a close second. Though I've heard good things about the ARM/Larson towers, so Fearfall might break up that list once Kentucky Kingdom opens.