TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pan's Labyrinth

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was excellent. I was amused during the Academy Awards when the flick won each category it was nominated in until they got to Best Foreign Film (lost one after that, too).

It appears that the members of the academy liked everything about Pan's Labyrinth but the movie.

Gruesome and harsh but I loved it.

The imagery is amazing, and the story was extremely captivating. At the end I got the biggest lump in my throat and was fighting back tears.

First introduced to the director Guillermo Del Toro by Hellboy. Was very impressed by that film, so when I first heard that this was coming out I knew I had to see it.

It did have some things that you really should never have to see. I do admit that I did close my eyes at some parts and became squirmish at others. But it's a really well done film, and I highly recommend it.

And just to add I think it was very much robbed at the Oscars... it should have at least won Best Foreign Film.

First introduced to the director Guillermo Del Toro by Hellboy. Was very impressed by that film, so when I first heard that this was coming out I knew I had to see it.

It did have some things that you really should never have to see. I do admit that I did close my eyes at some parts and became squirmish at others. But it's a really well done film, and I highly recommend it.

Speaking of Hellboy, that actually kinda put me off at first because Hellboy was so... meh.

Also, I think the gore was there purposely to contrast the fantasy elements. To show the difference between adult perceptions and childhood perceptions.

And just to add I think it was very much robbed at the Oscars... it should have at least won Best Foreign Film.

How can you say that it was robbed an Oscar without probably even seeing one of the other films nominated for best foreign language film. If you had, you'd most likely agree with me that the winning film, "The Lives of Others", is at least on par with Pan.

It just didn't stand a chance to be nominated in as much categories as Pan because it wasn't that hyped and didn't focus on cinematography and settings. Two awards Pan won, and deservedly so.

But you really should take a look at "The Lives of Others". It's a mesmerizing thriller that even tells you some recent history you may not know of. If you liked "The Departed", you'll like "The Lives of Others".

But back to "Pan's Labyrinth": Great film!

^ Yep, that's the movie!

I personally loved the movie. I'm a big fan of fantasy films and I liked that this one was a little bit darker then your usual fantasy film.

I was suprised by the gore in some spots but like I said I like that it added that darkness.

I just got back from seeing the movie and I must say I was blown away. I wasn't really sure what to expect, and a bit shocked by the amount of gore in it. (I haven't looked at this thread until now.) Even with the gore, it was very beautiful and I can see why it won the Oscars that it did.