TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Banning McDonalds?

krazekiddd

Actually this was quite entertaining to read

Prince Charles Suggests to Ban McDonalds?

LONDON - Prince Charles suggested Tuesday on a visit to the United Arab Emirates that banning McDonald's fast food was crucial for improving people's diets, a British news agency reported.

Charles made the comments while visiting the Imperial College London Diabetes Center in Abu Dhabi for the launch of a public health campaign, The Press Association reported.

"Have you got anywhere with McDonald's? Have you tried getting it banned? That's the key," Charles was quoted as asking one of the center's nutritionists.

A McDonald's spokesman, Nick Hindle, called the remark disappointing. He said other members of the royal family "have probably got a more up-to-date picture of us," alluding to reports that Charles' son, Prince Harry, was spotted eating a chicken burger at McDonald's in 2005.

"This appears to be an off-the-cuff remark, in our opinion," Hindle said. "It does not reflect our menu or where we are as a business."

The Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald's Corp. took steps last year to display nutrition facts on its packaging and vary its menu to counter charges that its food is unhealthy and contributes to obesity. There are 25 McDonald's franchises in the United Arab Emirates.

Charles, who is first in line to the British throne, is an active advocate of organic food and in 1986 set up a farm on his Highgrove Estate that does not use artificial pesticides or fertilizers.

The prince was in the United Arab Emirates with his wife, Camilla, as part of a tour of Gulf countries.

The United Arab Emirates has the world's second highest number of diabetes cases per capita, with more than 20 percent of those aged 20 to 79 already diagnosed with the illness, while 40 percent of the population are at risk.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British social serivces were also recently considering taking an obese boy (8 years old, over 200 lbs.) from his mother and putting him in "protective custody" because she let's him eat too much. They settled on this matter, though.

In light of this, calling for a ban of McDonald's doesn't sound too far-fetched.

i read about this this morning... it made me laugh a lot...

if they do ban Macky-D's, they'll have to ban every other fast food type restaurants as well...

doubt it will happen though, a whole franchise and company against one person? even if he is a Prince, its highly unlikely to occur.

heh, Elissa: youre gonna have to import some into England next time you visit

How can you ban an entire corporation?

I think it's silly to ban McDonald's. People should have the freedom to choose where they eat. If you don't want to eat McDonald's, don't go there. There's plenty of food options available.

McDonalds always gets the brunt of the blow on issues like this.

There are MANY fast food chains that have food as unhealthy as that of McDonalds, if not more unhealthy. People need to watch what they eat and make individual decisions based upon their own nutritive needs. Dictating what foods people should and should not eat will not solve this problem--governments need to teach an effective lesson regarding the importance of a balanced diet, how to select appropriate foods, and how to make good choices regarding one's nutrition.

Prince Charles is one of the more boring royals anyway. Prince Philip is the best by far.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh

How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test? (1995)

* Said to a driving instructor in Scotland

Do you still throw spears at each other? (2002)

* To an Aboriginal man on Australia's Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park

"Brazilians live there"

* Prince Philip on the "key problem" facing Brazil

Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed. (1981)

* Said during the 1981 recession

How will banning McDonald's make people healthier? There are plenty of healthy people who eat at McDonald's, but it is those that eat there every day and don't exercise that are overweight. The government overstepped its power here, and like Elissa said, it will fail. On a side note, this reminds me of Clayton Missouri where there are no chain restaurants in the town or some of the neighboring towns.(Avoid at all costs on Midwest trip)

McDonald's isn't even that bad compared to other restaurants. You could get a double cheeseburger, small fries and a small diet soda and it's under 40 grams of fat. An individual sized deep dish cheese pizza at Uno's has 104 grams of fat!

I don't eat fast food much anymore ( 1 - 2 times a month) because I am trying to lose weight but I don't want someone telling me what I can and cannot eat.

I think a thriving network of black-market, underground McDonald's in the UK would be pretty cool. They could hide them in the London sewers or in the crypts and catacombs of old cathedrals. People would have to use passwords to order.

"They say that three cows are crying tonight." (Trans: "I'll have meal no. 3.")

"Are they large highland cows?" (Trans: "Shall I supersize your order?")

"No, little cows." (Trans: "No thank you. I'll have a Diet Coke with that.")

^ This topic reminded me of something similar from the movie "Demolition Man". (In that movie all meat was banned)

Lenina Huxley: [spartan encounters a burger grill in the underground world] Just don't ask them where the meat comes from.

John Spartan: Huxley, what's that supposed to mean?

Lenina Huxley: Do you see any cows around here, detective?

John Spartan: Que es este carne?

[What is this meat?]

Hamburger Stand Scrap: Este carne es de rata.

[This meat is from rats]

John Spartan: Rat? This is a rat burger?

[vendor nods]

John Spartan: Not bad! Matter of fact this is the best burger I've had in years!

Hamburger Stand Scrap: Gracias, Senor.

John Spartan: Prego. See ya later.

The government overstepped its power here

Nah. Prince Charles has no real power. Even if he becomes King, he'll still have no power. The monarchy is ceremonial now. He's just expressing his opinion, which is perfectly within his rights.

I do think that the royal family should actively encourage more healthy lifestyles, but probably not in this fashion.

He won't become King...the Queen will live forever just to spite him!

I'm rooting for Prince Harry to become King. He's the Robert Downey Jr. of princes; the first royal to visit a strip club. He dressed up like a nazi for a costume party. Etc. The boy has no sense, and thus him becoming king would be hours of fun. Not likely to happen though