TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Orphan Rocker Coaster at Scenic World

After seeing Orphan Rocker in person back in 2011, and photos of it since, I doubt very much that it is "salvageable." I think Scenic World would be better off starting from scratch.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited in March, and I was actually wondering if this was supposed to be a rollercoaster. Anyways, there is some track pieces missing already, so I doubt this will ever be open. It´s a beautiful place though, with or without the coaster.

Absolutely. Though when we were in the blue mountains, I never thought of Scenic World as a theme park. Ok, it has some rides, but it never felt to me like "Oh, this could use a coaster". The Scenic Railway IS funny indeed (especially the tilting seats thing, riding it in first row was quite thrilling, but going back up was more thrilling to me than going down), but the rest is really just the scenery. I don´t think any coaster could improve the scale of the surroundings, the views and everything there.

I have to say, we changed our plans spontaneously due to some horrible accommodation in Sydney, so we spent three days in Blackheath (close to Katoomba), which I think is the reason why it never felt like a touristy "day-tour", and I would highly recommend anybody traveling there to do that exact thing, but still: The views from Echo Point, the whole area, the driving and the people up there in that remote area made everything around Scenic World so memorable, I never thought "Oh, I need to ride a coaster here".

Actually (even though we visited Dreamworld and Movie World), Australia is one of the very few countries in the world that I would travel to without even wanting to go to a theme park.

And of course, building a 10 Million Dollar Coaster in a remote area, never completing it, and then leaving it there to rot is so typical for Australia. It doesn´t get any more Australian than that.

And of course, building a 10 Million Dollar Coaster in a remote area, never completing it, and then leaving it there to rot is so typical for Australia. It doesn´t get any more Australian than that.

Are there any other examples of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_Island#Wreck_of_the_Maheno

"Oh there´s a hospital ship stranded on this island. Let´s just leave it to rot. Might turn into a tourist attraction." (And it did)

When I visited in January, one of their employees said that they were working on a new replacement for this coaster. But let's be honest, this just seems unrealistic. I would be surprised and happy about a new coaster addition at Scenic World!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_Island#Wreck_of_the_Maheno

"Oh there´s a hospital ship stranded on this island. Let´s just leave it to rot. Might turn into a tourist attraction." (And it did)

I've seen abandoned ships in other places too, like in Aptos, CA and Astoria, OR for example, so I don't know if it would be mostly an Australian thing. Even if they wanted to get rid of the abandoned ship they wouldn't be able to because it's now a coral reef.

• 11 months later...

After reading all of this, I've come to a basic conclusion... this is the most sought-after credit the world has ever seen

I bumped this with all the "Lightning Rod will never open" crap going on, and many people (including me) not getting the Orphan Rocker references. I'm quite interested in this now...

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT, RMC COMES IN TO SAVE COASTER NOT OPENED IN 34 YEARS!

I wish

I was there in 2014, and a chunk of the track through the parking lot was being removed to put in a statue. I don't have any photos though.

Sounds like a better use of the space.

Edited by cfc

Shouldn't somebody get a KickStarter account started, to get this poor coaster back in action?

P.S. I ain't doin' it.

I don't think so. Scenic World doesn't really need a coaster. It's more of a "national park" type setting. The old coaster track is just a curiosity and an eyesore now.