TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Help with trip this summer

TheMan

My friends and I are planning a trip this summer to go to Orlando and go to either Universal Orlando or Disneyworld. I would like to visit both of them, but my friends don't think it's plausible financily.

I'm more of a thrills person so, I would choose Universal over Disney, but my friend is into themeing more and would rather go to Disney.

Which of the two offer a better overall park experiance? WHich ones do you have more fun at and remember longer?

Also, since I live near L.A. I have been to both Disneyland and USH. Which of the two offer more differences between the ones in L.A. and the ones in Orlando? As far as USF v. USH and DLR v. Disneyworld

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put in a vote for Disney World, the thrills are a bit lower than IOA/USF, but they are still fun. Especially at MGM, where you have Good Tower and RNRC. Epcot has Mission: Sinese, Animal Kingdom has Everest, and Magic Kingdom has Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain.

I thought it was Mission: Hurl?

Actually, financially, you might be better off going to Universal for a few days. I would get the 7 day, $85 tickets. You can stay onsite, but if it's not within your budget, then there are plenty of offsite hotels to choose.

If you're looking for something that may appeal to a varied group (i.e., someone can't ride coasters, another one doesn't like things that move, etc.), Disney may be your better bet. Disney vacations can be pricey, but deals can be had.

^ We can Afford to stay onsite, but we can only do Universal or Disney....all my frinds love rollercoasters, but two of my friends like theming more, and would rather go to Disney, and me and another friend like thrills more and would rather go to Universal, so we're stuck in the middle.

Hmm...

This is tough

I REALLY enjoyed IOA/USF. There is SOO much to do there! And A LOT of great attractions! Men In Black, Spiderman, Hulk, DD, Flying Unicorn, Good Jaws etc.

Disneyworld too offers A LOT of great rides. Both parks have AWESOME themeing. So really it boils down to, in my opinion, the rides. What do you want to ride more? Thats the decision your going to have to make...

-Ryan

^I agree. Both parks are well themed, although IOA definitely has the thrill rides. If you get an express pass you can knock one of the parks off early enough to go into citywalk and get something to eat.

I do however go to Disney more, not for just the rides, but there are a lot of different restaurants and places i still haven't seen. I'll take a friend up to disney and they'll be surprised at going to a restaurant they haven't been to a show they hadn't seen.

Also if you're flying in from town and staying at a Disney property, you have the benefit of using the Magical express to pick you up and take you to the airport.

So it does depends on whether you want the thrill rides or not.

I'm more of a thrills person so, I would choose Universal over Disney, but my friend is into themeing more and would rather go to Disney.

I don't get it. You make it sound like Universal is Six Flags or something. Some of IOA's theming is better than any of Disney's. USF is also better themed than MGM. Which resort you choose should actually come down to how long you're staying. Universal has two parks and CityWalk which are all within walking distance from each other and the hotels. WDW has four parks and a bunch of other things that are spread out all over the place. I think this should be the deciding factor more than anything.

As for how the parks differ from their California counterparts:

Magic Kingdom is a larger Disneyland with less attractions. You'll see some new ones, but for the most part it'll feel very familiar.

Epcot will be completely new to you except for Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Soarin'.

MGM is a full park of what you'd expect from DCA's backlot area. You'll be familiar with Tower of Terror, Star Tours and Muppets 3-D. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and The Great Movie Ride will be new to you along with every show except for Fantasmic.

Animal Kingdom will be completely new except for It's Tough to be a Bug.

Universal Studios Florida shares some attractions with it's Hollywood counterpart but the park itself (ie the layout and theming) is completely different and there are quite a few attractions that are missing from USH. On the other hand, USF lacks a studio tour and WaterWorld.

IOA will be completely new except for Jurassic Park River Adventure.