TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

British Candy Bars

Movieguy

You know, I've never had much of a sweet tooth, but I recently got an interesting Christmas gift from a family friend...it was two imported candy bars from Britain, a Cadbury Flake bar, and a Nestle Lion. I loved them both, and once I got back in touch with the friend, I asked her where she got them. It turns out, there's a coffee shop right here in my town that sells them.

I don't know if it's because I wanted a change from the usual Hershey bar, but for me there's something...special about British chocolate bars...one could argue that they're about the only decent thing to come out of British cuisine.

But seriously...who else here has tried the kind of candies, like the ones I just mentioned?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, you can get a few types of flakes here, and they are all nice, personally I like the "Snow Flake" which is white chocolate with milk chocolate on the outside.

i have never actually had a "Flake Nior" which is dark chocolate version.

A funny thing though is the fact at McDonalds here you can pay 40c extra to have a flake stuck into your sundae/cone. Dunno why they chose to offer that, but its very good.

As for the Nestle Lion, they havent sold them here for a while, It was OK but not as good as a Mars bar.

And Not For Sale, a definite one to try is a Cadbury "Boost", probably one of their best offerings. And the blocks/bars of the normal cadbuty chocolate are good too. Also be on the look out for "Picnic" and "Cherry Ripe"

But why are people calling them "candies"? They are chocolate bars.

It really is bizarre that we Brits find American chocolate like Hershey Bar's and Oreos to be awesome over here. Yet you guys think the same about our chocolate which we consider to be average compared to yours!

And the best British chocolate i'd have to recommend would be Mint flavoured Matchmakers, buy them if you seem them!

Well I get to enjoy our chocolate everyday but I like American chocolate just as much. (maybe a little itsy-bitsy bit less but anywho). If it's just a plain old chocolate bar, Galaxy is the way to go. (for me) For some good chocolate based snack I say Mint Aero or Aero Bubbles. Also Maltesers and Matchmakers are great as a chocolatey snack aswell. My American friends are obssed with Matchmakers and love them! Avoid Bounty. I don't realy like them but you might. As for American chocolate: I like Hershy Kisses .

The chocolate quality definitely seems better with British (and subsequently Canadian) candy. Aero bars and Smarties are pretty much Canadian favourites. I actually tried an experiment between a few friends with American and Canadian Hershey bars. All 5 said the Canadian chocolate seemed smoother, and better overall.

I still find it hilarious that an Aero bar goes for $3 at World Showcase's Canada, compared to $.50 in the real thing.

One thing I'd appreciate are some Nestle Flakes sold near me, aside from World Market.

hmmm...chocolate.

I used to love getting a 99 from the Ice Cream vans.

For those who dont know, a 99 is a regulay whippy ice cream cone, with small flake stuck in it. It was called a 99 because thay cost 99p.

I loved the old flake adverts. Those were just....special.

I dont know why some Scots here do such horrible things to a perfectly good choccy bar. For instance, did you know that you can actually buy and consume deep fried Mars Bars here? Yes, you read that right. Deep Fried Mars Bars. With batter and everything.

It really is bizarre that we Brits find American chocolate like Hershey Bar's and Oreos to be awesome over here. Yet you guys think the same about our chocolate which we consider to be average compared to yours!

I've found very very few Brits that prefer American candy bars. Most of them tell me "it's crap!"

My personal favorites are Lion bars, Double Deckers, and UK Kit Kats. But I'd take a bag of Licorice Allsorts or Wine Gums too!

--Robb

I've found very very few Brits that prefer American candy bars. Most of them tell me "it's crap!"

As I said it's really weird, all my friends who have tried both tend to like the American stuff more! Why i'm not a great fan of normal Hershey Bar's, I would gladly trade virtually any British chocolate (bar Matchmakers)for the Cookies and Cream flavour anyday!

Also Jolly Ranchers and Nerds are two things I wish I stocked up on when I visited the States last Summer!