TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planning for Dorney

hello. I'm planning on going to dorney this season, I already asked Kevin and Nate (of the Kevin and nate show podcast) what to do at dorney. I've been researching the park and now it's your turn, I woulds simply like to know:

-Which coasters to ride

-Which coasetrs to skip

-Which flats to ride

-Where to eat

-What order to do it in

Thanks for your help

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there,

You really shouldn't HAVE TO skip anything. I have been to Dorney Park many times and have never waited more than 20 mins for their coasters.

I suppose if you HAD to miss one or two, skip Wild Mouse, there's also 3 kiddy coasters at the park including a roller skater which can be skipped. I'm not really too fond of Thunderhawk, but it's worth riding if you've never been.

With that being said, Hydra, Talon, and Steel Force are not to be missed and Laser is good if you like Schwarzkopfs. Steel Force will get the longer line of the 3 "big" steelies. Hydra and Talon.

Dorney has a Chance Revolution which is awesome and a REALLY great Top Spin that runs a sweet program.

I don't eat "park food" so I'm not sure where you should eat, or what order to do the rides in... as I have yet to encounter awful lines at the park. I have, however, seen the waterpark get quite busy on hot days, so be advised if you're planning on going there.

BTW, you're avatar is awesome...

Actually when I went to Dorney in 2001 Thunderhawk was one of my fav. Coasters so I would reccomend that one and of course Talon and Steel Force. Lazer was good too.If you can avoid eating in the park then do so it is a lot cheaper to geta a handstamp, leave to go eat elsewhere and go back then it is to eat at the park.

Avoid a summer weekend and you won't deal with any lines on the amusement side (or minimal lines).

I went to Dorney almost every week last season and never waited more than 15 minutes for any coaster except on a Sunday in August.

There really isn't any order to follow but if you get there at opening, go to Wild Mouse first as it can have a long line because they have a rule of only 2 adults per car and have bad loading procedures (confusing to most people in line).

The only coasters I would skip if you aren't into counting coasters and credits are Dragon Coaster and Woodstock's Express both kiddie coasters (Little Laser is 54" maximum). Everything else is worth riding once.

For flats, I'd reccomend the Whip since it's a rare ride and a lot of fun.

If you are into power riding you'll really enjoy the park since you can get tons of rides in on all the coasters, I usually average 6 rides an hour including walking through the park and through the empty queues (no re-rides allowed, no exceptions)

Here's my advice...

1. Wear leg pads for Thunderhawk because it rattle you like heck!

2.Skip the kiddie coasters. Those aren't worth it unless you want to go credit whoring.

3. I'd include Wildwater Kingdom into your trip because it has some great and thrilling slides.

4. I'd recomend you to eat at anyplace you want to because when I went there me and my family ate at a Subway there.

5. Becides that, ride Steel Fore, Hydra, Thunderhawk, Talon and Laser, they're great!

The only coasters you should skip are the powered kiddie and the height-restricted kiddie. The other kiddie was actually a lot of fun.

I personally hated Talon, but I'm thinking I rode it on an off day.

Steel Force is awesome, the best of the CF Morgans, IMO.

Laser could have been a lot better. It's a good ride, but it's extremely rough.

I loved Thunderhawk. You get tons and tons of ejector air. Ride near the front.

Wild Mouse was boring.

Hydra is a lot of fun in the back row. The Jo-jo roll is insane, but the rest of the ride is pretty mediocre. The front row was actually the roughest for me, whereas the back row was nice and forceful and very smooth.

RIDE THE WHIP. You will never have more fun in your life.

I also enjoyed Dominator, Meteor, and Screamin' Swing (it only costs five bucks and it's a nice thrill).

I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, but they serve a heated food near Laser that's absolutely delicious. You'll find it.

And Coasters is always nice.

If I were you, I would hit the coasters like this: Talon, Wild Mouse, Hydra, Laser, Thunderhawk, Steel Force, Woodstock Express.

I'd totally recommend trying to do Wildwater Kingdom and Dorney in the same day. Any day early on in the season (when the water park is open) is always short lines, especially in the water park. **WARNING** The water will be very cold if you go early in the season.

It's very easy to knock out half or most of the water park by noon to two o'clock and then spend the rest of the day in the park and even get multiple rides on the main coasters.

I'm not overly thrilled with the coasters there but the overall park experience is well above average. The water park is much better than most of the ones in the north east. And I've yet to find a park that you can do so much in with short lines on a beautiful day. I don't think I've waited more than 30 minutes to get on any ride there and I've gone on perfect days in July and crappy days in April. Ok, maybe the water park gets packed when it's hella-hot, but Dorney is usually a short wait-in-line park anytime of the year.

As for food... got me. I don't eat park food.

The only coasters you'll really need to skip are the powered Dragon Wagon and the Lil Laser, which you cannot ride anyway. All the other coasters should be someone "fun" or "unique" to you in some fashion.

The best order would be to do it immediately during the day (I'm assuming you'd go during the summer, just try to stay away from Saturdays), starting with Talon, working to the Wild Mouse, Hydra, then to Thunderhawk, Steel Force, and Laser, finishing with Woodstock's Express in Camp Snoopy.

Flats worth riding are the Whip, Dominator, the Crazy Carts, Meteor, and Revolution, as well as some of the older stuff like the Pirate ship, Enterprise, and tilt a whirl.

I don't normally eat in the park, but the Game Day Grill is probably the best place to grab lunch, followed by Subway.

Also, try to incorporate Wildwater Kingdom if you enjoy waterparks. Just try to take care of the park first, and get to the waterpark around 5 or 6pm, by then most of the crowds will have transferred to Dorney. If you get there early, just chill in one of the wavepools or the lazy rivers.

Try to avoid going to Dorney on a Saturday, especially from June to August. Everyone in PA seems to visit Dorney on a summer Saturday! Weekdays tend to be quiet. You can probably ride the coasters multiple times with a short wait if you visit on a weekday.

You shouldn't have to skip any coasters or flats. The only coaster I would skip would be Dragon Coaster which everyone else has already said.

The best order to ride all the rides would be:

Talon, Hang Time, Wild Mouse, Hydra, Meteor, Whip, Dominator, Thunderhawk, Steel Force, Revolution, Laser, and then Woodstock’s Express. If you do this you have walking in a huge circle and will have ridden all the major rides. Also, if you get there at opening and follow this plan you should be done by 1:00 at the latest.

If you deside to go into the water park you should expect some lines. For some reason everyone goes to the water park and no one goes to the ride part of Dorney.

As for food I would go to the Game Day Grill or Burger Barn which is next to Subway. The Burger Barn has pretty cheap food and it's not the bad either.

It's about 2hrs , or you could do the preview plan at Hershey which is only an hour and half away.

Preview Plan - Be Our Guest!

Purchase a regular full-day admission ticket for tomorrow, 2-1/2* hours prior to Park closing, and be our guest FREE for the remainder of that evening. (*3-1/2 hours for 11 pm closing)

Thanks for all the help guys, I have a general idea of what to do.

and for future refrences...I hate water parks I'm just like Dan I don't like getting wet.

You'll definetly want to avoid Thunder Creek Mountain (the log flume) then. You get soaked on it and sometimes the log goes directly through a waterfall (it usually shuts off right before you get to it).